The Gretna 2008 Thread

gretnascotty

Have to say with all honesty you guys have an excellent goalkeeper in Kennedy, the saves he pulled off today were outstanding. Could've been a lot more than 4 to us. Surprised he's playing LL at all and not League 1/League 2

Incident packed game at Gretna. Home side had plenty of effort but CSS were easily the better and more dangerous side.

On 17 minutes, a Gretna player moved unchallenged through midfield, shot and scored from about 20 yards. There was a short delay after the goal, which turned out to be due to the Strollers keeper having dislocated a finger. He went off to A&E and was replaced by (I assume) an outfield player. 

CSS equalised about 15 minutes later, slack defending allowing their no.9 to go through 1 on 1.

Only one winner after this, but despite a number of goal mouth scrambles and shots missing by inches, CSS couldn't find the net. Meanwhile Gretna failed to test the replacement keeper who only had one weak shot to save.

Five minutes from the end there was a clash of heads. CSS player went off to get his head bandaged and reappeared quite quickly. The Gretna player was the player manager. While his physio tried (and failed) to bandage his head, he tried to substitute himself. Gretna had already used 3 substitutes, so this was refused and a Gretna player was yellow carded for delaying the free kick (while waiting for the substitution to happen!).

While I was watching the manager argue with the Lino and his bench, Gretna attacked down the left, crossed and scored with a header at the far post.

Strollers will wonder how they didn't win this comfortably, but full marks to Gretna for their effort and commitment.

15 hours ago, ekok said:

I am so pleased for everyone at Gretna,  particularly Stuart,  the absolutely best result of the day.

Totally chuffed for you guys 

Great result for everyone at Gretna well done.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking forward to what now seems to be an annual trip to Raydale Park next month for the game against Cowdenbeath.

Hoping the bar is stocked up again on bottles of Becks so, if anyone reading this can have a word with Stuart, and make sure the fridge is full for my arrival, that'd be ace!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thoroughly deserved win for Gretna on Saturday, best overall performance i’ve seen for 2 seasons! The passing was as good as i’ve seen from us.  Stand outs were Iain Anderson (unplayable all afternoon) Robbie Ivison and Alex Potts, but to be honest the whole team were excellent to a man!

I’m not making excuses for the team but considering we didn’t have a single player on the books back in June, we’ve been incredibly unlucky with injuries to key players. Its now great to see us have a consistent starting 11 & the boys now have a bit of confidence to go on!

Always tough away from home but much more optimistic of us getting a result at Stirling Uni than i would have been if we had of lost on Saturday.

11 minutes ago, gretnascotty said:

Thoroughly deserved win for Gretna on Saturday, best overall performance i’ve seen for 2 seasons! The passing was as good as i’ve seen from us.  Stand outs were Iain Anderson (unplayable all afternoon) Robbie Ivison and Alex Potts, but to be honest the whole team were excellent to a man!

I’m not making excuses for the team but considering we didn’t have a single player on the books back in June, we’ve been incredibly unlucky with injuries to key players. Its now great to see us have a consistent starting 11 & the boys now have a bit of confidence to go on!

Always tough away from home but much more optimistic of us getting a result at Stirling Uni than i would have been if we had of lost on Saturday.

It'll be an incredible effort to stay up.  I didn't think there was much between us last week in the cup, but the quality over Newton Stewart told in the end.

There does appear to be a good group of players, possibly confidence, but a couple of wins in recent weeks will do you no harm at all.

Good luck 👍 

• 2 months later...

Could make a point about a possibly weakened Celtic B side for this one potentially relegating Edinburgh Uni rather than Gretna down the road but Edinburgh Uni voted for B teams so finding it hard to work up any sympathy. Different story if the Shire become part of the mix which I guess still isn't completely out of the question.

5 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Could make a point about a possibly weakened Celtic B side for this one potentially relegating Edinburgh Uni rather than Gretna down the road but Edinburgh Uni voted for B teams so finding it hard to work up any sympathy. Different story if the Shire become part of the mix which I guess still isn't completely out of the question.

Cant remember but didnt Dalbeattie also get a good result against a weak Celtic team that nearly stopped them being relegated last year. 

6 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The Celtic ‘b’ team’s flexible approach to team selection has probably assisted some opposing teams and ‘helped’ them pick up positive results over the past few seasons. It will inevitably have a detrimental effect to either the current relegation battle as you have mentioned or the promotion race if EK drop more points and those closest to them get closer….

50 minutes ago, Grandmas Enigma said:

The Celtic ‘b’ team’s flexible approach to team selection has probably assisted some opposing teams and ‘helped’ them pick up positive results over the past few seasons. It will inevitably have a detrimental effect to either the current relegation battle as you have mentioned or the promotion race if EK drop more points and those closest to them get closer….

Do Celtic B not have to name a squad that goes transfer window to transfer window?  I think that’s the case but happy to be proved wrong if I’m incorrect.

If I am right then that’s surely better than Berwick being able to empty their best players a third of the way through the season.  Their new weaker team will surely distort the league.  Edinburgh have done similar in the SPFL.  Shouldn’t they also be condemned?

25 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Do Celtic B not have to name a squad that goes transfer window to transfer window?  I think that’s the case but happy to be proved wrong if I’m incorrect.

If I am right then that’s surely better than Berwick being able to empty their best players a third of the way through the season.  Their new weaker team will surely distort the league.  Edinburgh have done similar in the SPFL.  Shouldn’t they also be condemned?

Are you seriously comparing Berwick to A full time professional team with endless resources? Berwick made those cuts due to financial restraints, an issue a lot of teams at this level will have.

1 minute ago, To B or not B said:

Are you seriously comparing Berwick to A full time professional team with endless resources? Berwick made those cuts due to financial restraints, an issue a lot of teams at this level will have.

Yes I am.  The issue is supposed to be sporting integrity.  Berwicks actions have done more to distort the league.  They signed a squad they couldn’t afford then binned them part way through the season.  Rangers a fitting name for them in this context.

The B teams squads are fixed at the end of the windows (I think).

2 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Yes I am.  The issue is supposed to be sporting integrity.  Berwicks actions have done more to distort the league.  They signed a squad they couldn’t afford then binned them part way through the season.  Rangers a fitting name for them in this context.

The B teams squads are fixed at the end of the windows (I think).

Any number of circumstances can change things quickly for teams at this level, not a statement you can make about Celtic!

3 minutes ago, To B or not B said:

Any number of circumstances can change things quickly for teams at this level, not a statement you can make about Celtic!

So sporting integrity is ignored when teams like Edinburgh, Berwick, Hearts, Dunfermline (I’m sure other clubs have also been guilty) etc have to weaken their squad part way through a season, but must be strictly applied to every game a B team plays within the agreed rules?