Catalonia

Whitburn Vale

Just now, Cerberus said:

Shat it then voted Tory to shat it even more.

At least 25-30% of Scotland's population is viscerally pro-Union in its outlook and were never going to vote Yes no matter what, so the way they voted had nothing at all to do with fear. Where the referendum was lost for the Yes side was on the currency and EU issues because Alex Salmond's answers in the debates were far from convincing if you see things pragmatically and don't really care much either way emotionally, which was the swing vote portion of the electorate that Yes side had to win over to a greater extent than they did to win given so much of the older generation were never going to go for it. In a Catalan context people like that will probably go over to the Yes side if Madrid does something drastic in the next 24 hours or so, rather than play it softly and let international apathy fatally undermine the whole UDI thing.

Fair pleased for Catalonia,showing the guts they have in the face of aggression from Madrid.

Time will tell how this all plays out,but the catalans have made a huge leap forward.

As for Scotland,what a red neck!!

We get a free democratic vote on indy to break away from the sinking ship that is the uk and we brick it:thumbsdown.

The same uk that said if you vote no you will stay in the EU,we voted no and we're still on the way out !!

They promised us the most powerful devolved parliament in the world....,what we got was some tax raising and welfare powers far short of what the Basque Country is in control of.....full tax powers,devo max/home rule etc!!

Pleased for catalonia but cant help feel embarrassed for scotland,forever bought and sold for english gold :(!!

The Madrid government left Puigdemont with little choice.  They would have done direct rule even if he had called elections.  

Rajoy's stance has made me switch sides.  I'm Catalan through my mother; If I had the vote, I would have voted no. 

The Jordis and the threat to the Police has turned me.   I don't see a way back.  Madrid have been told for years and didn't listen.  I would rather this hadn't started but now definitely moving towards the independence side.

Direct rule doesn't solve anything.  Makes things worse.  For some the worse the better, I do not see it like that.

What happens now will depend on the willingness of the Catalan people (both castellanohablantes, residents of all backgrounds).  Apathy or moving to a new republic.   Force will not be accepted. 

Edited by tirso

The Madrid government left Puigdemont with little choice.  They would have done direct rule even if he had called elections.  
Rajoy's stance has made me switch sides.  I'm Catalan through my mother; If I had the vote, I would have voted no. 
The Jordis and the threat to the Police has turned me.   I don't see a way back.  Madrid have been told for years and didn't listen.  I would rather this hadn't started but now definitely moving towards the independence side.
Direct rule doesn't solve anything.  Makes things worse.  For some the worse the better, I do not see it like that.
What happens now will depend on the willingness of the Catalan people (both castellanohablantes, residents of all backgrounds).  Apathy or moving to a new republic.   Force will not be accepted. 

Good luck

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

Now it all comes down to how Spain goes about enforcing Article 155. If they stop the Catalan government functioning through taking control of public bodies that's one thing. If they throw Puigdemont and other senior officials in prison and deploy the army to enforce their seizure of power that's another situation entirely.

You'd think with the courts and seemingly the banking sector behind them Madrid could just electronically zap all Catalan Government funds back to Madrid. Much of the local administration could likely be carried out remotely too, with civil servants carrying on doing their jobs and getting paid normally. I expect a stalemate till new Catalan elections are called by Madrid, probably in January. If Catalan separatists independence seekers cooperate with holding them they'd have a good chance of gaining a  credible democratic mandate for the first time. Both sides seem more determined on direct confrontation than finding a rational resolution though. What I don't understand is why Madrid is calling for new elections asap while Catalonia have decided not to.  

13 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I’m sure they will use the same terminology for Brexit now...

i'm not one for conspiracy but the BBC have been poor in the coverage.   It's been too simplified with little context of what's been happening the last years.  The separatists!  Have you seen them... sounds scary haha

The BBC correspondent failed to mention anything about the Pais Vasco governing party and Podemos voting against the application of 155.  That is relatively significant.  

i'm going to a party tonight with all the Spanish.  This will be a laugh!:lol:

11 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Will we see the formation of the 1st Bn P&B International Brigade going to fight alongside their Nationalist cousins?

The small Alt-Right contingent would probably join up on Putin's instructions. Weird times. And then they would fall out and fight each other instead of Spain. Plus ca change.

Edited by welshbairn

47 minutes ago, tirso said:

i'm not one for conspiracy but the BBC have been poor in the coverage.   It's been too simplified with little context of what's been happening the last years.  The separatists!  Have you seen them... sounds scary haha

The BBC correspondent failed to mention anything about the Pais Vasco governing party and Podemos voting against the application of 155.  That is relatively significant.  

i'm going to a party tonight with all the Spanish.  This will be a laugh!:lol:

Where are you? Pais Vasco  or Podemos voting against is hardly breaking news surely?

Edited by welshbairn