Squad face Slovenia and Slovakia

Darren Fletcher and James Morrison - you could argue - are better footballers than Brown and Armstrong. I have no problem with them coming in to replace them. Its a blow because Brown can set the tempo but we are strong in midfield.

Agree with this. Really impressed with Armstrong in the September double header but I do think we have enough quality in midfield, albeit we won't get the driving energy going forward that Armstrong brings.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree with this. Really impressed with Armstrong in the September double header but I do think we have enough quality in midfield, albeit we won't get the driving energy going forward that Armstrong brings.

I think Morrison’s pretty good at driving forward, and I’d probably rather see him play in the 10 as opposed to anyone else. For what it’s worth, Armstrong shouldn’t be playing in the 10 anyway.
Probably not going to be a popular opinion but I wouldn't mind seeing Barry Bannan slotted in as our advanced midfielder...

I like Bannan playing a bit deeper and zinging passes everywhere, but he’d need to be playing alongside Brown’s tenacity. McArthur could work thanks to his great positioning and energy.

58 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

f**k. Two of our most influential players. Not quite sure who’ll replace them.

They have almost singlehandedly revitalised our campaign so for us to lose them is gonna prove a catastrophic blow imo. Other folk have dismissed them as replaceable but if folk think Fletcher or McArthur or anyone else are adequate replacements they are in for a harsh reality check. 

I'd be more worried about losing Brown, although that's only on the coin-toss of whether he'd put in a Ukraine-like performance where he gets under their skin, or more like last season's player where he struggles to make any impact at alll

Brown didn't make an impact last season? Pish

6 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

McArthur, Fletcher and Morrison is a decent midfield but that's basically our most important players. We'll struggle to create without Armstrong linking the play and Brown is the one that keeps us ticking.

Probably what we'll go for but not very mobile. Armstrong is on the move all the time. 

Armstrong has been a revelation since coming into the team imo, pretty hard to replace his quality. He is a very intelligent footballer, finds spaces and gets into areas which defenders hate to defend against and isn't afraid to take the ball, his touch & passing is brilliant. Let's not forget he has only played a handful of games for Scotland yet he looks like he hes been playing international football for years.

Brown can be influential or he can go in too hard in his first tackle, get booked and effectively his game is over after 10 minutes. 

McArthur and Morrison have both scored in big games, I've got no qualms with either of them. D.Fletcher's best days are behind him in a Scotland jersey but he is more than capable of rolling back the years for a one off (ok maybe two off) game(s).

There is a reason why McGregor hasn't been included yet, I don't think it's down to Armstrong being picked over him. 

It's a blow losing those two for sure. I have a bad feeling about the Slovakia game. Can see us losing a late goal like the Czech game a few years ago.

Yeah it feels very much like that game. Hopefully Fletcher will play out of his skin just as he did then!

Armstrong is a huge loss his energy and mindset to drive forward fearlessly will be hugely missed. It's no fluke we  won so convincingly 3 nil away we looked great. The players some are salivating over to come in and replace the injured are the same slow backward passing failures of before. If strachan throws them in then forget about it no chance it will be back to turgid sideways shite losing 1 nil.

We can all see everything panning out already WGS has lost 2 players, he's now going to go into bottle crashing mode and try the old 1 nil sneak win which will see us humped out at home. 

Fletcher in for Brown will hopefully be OK - Fletcher hasn't been in great form of late, but he's usually a good big game player.  Armstrong is much harder to replace - his inclusion has been the main turning point in our performances in this campaign, and it's imperative that we bring in someone who has a similar amount of energy and drive and is willing to be adventurous in possession.  McGinn, McGregor or, at a push, Bannan, are the only real options here.  Morrison is a good player, but he's too safe, and we already have Fletcher and McArthur for that.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Fletcher in for Brown will hopefully be OK - Fletcher hasn't been in great form of late, but he's usually a good big game player.  Armstrong is much harder to replace - his inclusion has been the main turning point in our performances in this campaign, and it's imperative that we bring in someone who has a similar amount of energy and drive and is willing to be adventurous in possession.  McGinn, McGregor or, at a push, Bannan, are the only real options here.  Morrison is a good player, but he's too safe, and we already have Fletcher and McArthur for that.

Morrison being too safe in that he never gives away possession? He's an incisive passer who is tactically and technically very reliable. Very under rated. McArthur in particular can't pass for shit.

I like Morrison, but he's not really a suitable player for the style we have played in the last few games.  We need someone who is more similar in style to Armstrong.

And McGinn is? Not remotely good enough.

Throughout Morrison's career he has played as an attacking midfielder - relatively similar to Armstrong.

Archived