Dundee v Hearts

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hearts look dreadful.  Cant see Levein lasting long there.  

We were comfortable enough until Moussa's moment of madness.  The goal seemed to lift Hearts and they enjoyed their best period of the game.  McCann got his tactics and team selection spot on IMO.   Many fans scratching their head before kick off, myself included, but he completely nullified Hearts hoofball.  I loved watching how calm we were passing the ball out from Bain.  Few hairy moments but it worked.  

Hendry, Waddel, Spence, and Kamara were all excellent.  Hendry is a class act at the back.

Hopefully we can push on from here and gain some consistency.

4 minutes ago, Moo said:

I'm all for the passing out from the back. I'd rather pass it out and work the ball up the park than punt it straight up and give the opposition a 50/50 chance of winning it.

And I think we all agree with this but when we play it short when a hearts player is within 10 yards it is never going to work - closed down too quickly, ball goes back to keeper under pressure and then another short pass to another player also under pressure . Needless, use the tactic when we can but don't say as a manager you must do this because the players have to have some reasonable judgement when the play out from the back is appropriate. It was obvious first half today that the players felt under pressure to follow the managers instructions and it nearly cost us a goal - that said it did look much more comfortable in the second half so maybe McCann did tweek this at half time.  

4 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

Btts and Dundee win.

Kerr dropped and we won.

Moussa gtf please.

Pub time

Do you mean bring Kerr on and we won? 

Can't expect young players to be brilliant all the time, today we had Waddell winning us the game. These young players will get better and more consistent over time, got to give them a bit of leeway - better than plodders that will just get worse as the season progresses 

playing out from the back takes a huge amount of effort, not just concentration but continuous movement giving each other space and options to pass and maintain posession. It has often been said that Barca make it look so easy that people dont realise the level needed to do it again and again. Some of our players are probably being pushed to the limit in that respect.

2 hours ago, DieDee said:

And I think we all agree with this but when we play it short when a hearts player is within 10 yards it is never going to work - closed down too quickly, ball goes back to keeper under pressure and then another short pass to another player also under pressure . Needless, use the tactic when we can but don't say as a manager you must do this because the players have to have some reasonable judgement when the play out from the back is appropriate. It was obvious first half today that the players felt under pressure to follow the managers instructions and it nearly cost us a goal - that said it did look much more comfortable in the second half so maybe McCann did tweek this at half time.  

It's a bit edge of the seat stuff at times but it definitely creates space in the middle of the park. When it eventually gets there  Kamara, Spence and Gowser have acres of space and time on the ball. 

I thought the 3 centrehalfs dealt excellently with playing out from the back.

There's absolutely no issue with playing it out from the back, it's much more enjoyable to watch than hoofball. There is, however, an issue with playing it out from the back to players who're marked/being closed down and therefore putting ourselves under needless pressure.  

They're obviously just doing what they've been told from McCann but I was adamant we were eventually going to concede as a result of Bain passing the ball to someone  (probably Hendry) who'd inevitably be chased down and forced into a mistake. 

There's absolutely no issue with playing it out from the back, it's much more enjoyable to watch than hoofball. There is, however, an issue with playing it out from the back to players who're marked/being closed down and therefore putting ourselves under needless pressure.  
They're obviously just doing what they've been told from McCann but I was adamant we were eventually going to concede as a result of Bain passing the ball to someone  (probably Hendry) who'd inevitably be chased down and forced into a mistake. 

Exactly this. I'm all for playing out but a bit of judgement is required, we can't just do it every time even if there's not a short pass on. The one Bain played to Hendry, who had his back to Bain and didn't even realise, almost stopped my heart.

Bizarre, but worth it. When Lafferty scored it actually felt like 7000 folk just turned and looked at the World Offside Champion in dead silence for a couple of seconds and then all screamed at him for different reasons.
Mousse and Colin Nish should have a showdown offside contest.

On 26/09/2017 at 19:23, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

The Hibs seem a better bunch, than these jambun cunters. IMO.

Definitely seems you're right Biggie.  Very little sign of them on here after their defeat.  They were all over a Dundee / Hearts thread before the Levein / Cathro experiment.

19 hours ago, Muggy said:

Hearts look dreadful.  Cant see Levein lasting long there.  

We were comfortable enough until Moussa's moment of madness.  The goal seemed to lift Hearts and they enjoyed their best period of the game.  McCann got his tactics and team selection spot on IMO.   Many fans scratching their head before kick off, myself included, but he completely nullified Hearts hoofball.  I loved watching how calm we were passing the ball out from Bain.  Few hairy moments but it worked.  

Hendry, Waddel, Spence, and Kamara were all excellent.  Hendry is a class act at the back.

Hopefully we can push on from here and gain some consistency.

I think Hearts will finish above Dundee this season.

What do you think?

Archived