Saying Goodbye To John Barleycorn

Sweet Pete

Just now, Sweet Pete said:

That sounds like a lot to be having in one sitting and claiming to be not overly affected by it. However, I won't take issue with it, nor do I with Throbber's lifestyle, as it's one I can relate to so it'd be hypocritical to critiscise someone for it.

I would honestly say I have 4 bottles wine and 20 cans over an average week. Seems a lot written down!!

Now that I've seen the original post it makes sense. I read it as 6 cans and a half bottle of wine for the two days combined, if it's both days then yeah he's coming across as more of a drunken jakey. Apologies.

If I were to start at 3 and drink until 9 I would still only have 1 beer an hour with 3 glasses of wine sandwiched in at various intervals. It is drinking too much but I don’t really feel like a jakey.

Before packing it in I was doing throbber levels a few times over.  Pub or restaurant probably 4-5 x pw and booze at home 4-5 days pw too. More wine and spirits than just beers. Still functioned okay but felt it had taken over my life. Must be saving a fortune. Still have meals out but the bills are about 40% cheaper and the glass recycling bin is a shadow of its former self.

Before packing it in I was doing throbber levels a few times over.  Pub or restaurant probably 4-5 x pw and booze at home 4-5 days pw too. More wine and spirits than just beers. Still functioned okay but felt it had taken over my life. Must be saving a fortune. Still have meals out but the bills are about 40% cheaper and the glass recycling bin is a shadow of its former self.

It’s so easily done though, when you don’t really give a f**k about the money you spend and you can get away with it at work then it’s an easy trap to fall into. So long as I could peel myself into work/uni and do what was required I never really cared if I felt a bit rough. There were a few times I overdid it a bit when the girlfriend was away though and they were truly unpleasant experiences.

Average weekend I'll have about 25 cans of Tennents from Friday to Sunday and on top of that maybe five or six pints on the Saturday if I'm at the football.  Very easily done. Going to go overboard over the festive period then cut right down in The New Year.

22 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

I began to hate being an alcoholic, ok?

Ross Kemp did a documentary about how much of a boozy country we are and a guy in his 40's was the same as you and consuming 3 bottles of red every day and nearly died. The fluid had to be sucked out of him as his liver was no longer functioning and he got told if he carried on at that rate he wouldn't last another 3 years. I couldn't drink more than 1 bottle of red in a night without being violently sick but each to their own.

On 29/11/2017 at 15:09, Finch road said:

Genuinely don' see an issue with 9 cans and a half bottle of wine. I regularly have a bottle of wine and 6-8 cans and function perfectly fine. Cant remember the last time I was properly drunk 

You have all that and don't get properly drunk?

Aye, ok.

33 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

You have all that and don't get properly drunk?

Aye, ok.

I'm pretty sure he has it over a good few hours like I myself. Over 6 hours its not exactly tearing the arse off it and you won't ever feel properly drunk. 

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

Rubbish.

It is not rubbish. If i were to drink 6 beers and a half bottle of wine between now and 2230 I would be hammered but if i started at 1530 then I would pace myself and at no point during the drinking session would i feel inebriated enough to do anything out of character or that I would forget the next day.