Was that Hampden's last hurrah?

HibeeJibee

55 minutes ago, sjc said:

Almost slap bang in the middle of Glasgow but not really at all. Have you ever walked from the City centre to Hampden before?

Walked back many a time and whilst its not ideal its doable.  The best thing I always found was to walk along to Crosshill or Queens Park stations and get on there.  By the time your're at those stations a fair whack of traincunts have already passed through. 

3 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Walked back many a time and whilst its not ideal its doable.  The best thing I always found was to walk along to Crosshill or Queens Park stations and get on there.  By the time your're at those stations a fair whack of traincunts have already passed through. 

It is doable but it's hardly "slap bang in the middle of Glasgow" though. The lack of pubs and restaurants nearby is also an issue (Shawlands closest?) imo.

I'm sure Aberdeens new stadium will be "doable".........doesn't make it ideal though.

2 minutes ago, sjc said:

It is doable but it's hardly "slap bang in the middle of Glasgow" though. The lack of pubs and restaurants nearby is also an issue (Shawlands closest?) imo.

I'm sure Aberdeens new stadium will be "doable".........doesn't make it ideal though.

WHAT!!???!!

Do you actually go to games at Hampden with your eyes open?

There are plenty of pubs and restaurants around the area, its less then 3 miles from the city centre its not in the back of beyond somewhere like Perth or Inverness.

2 minutes ago, drs said:

WHAT!!???!!

Do you actually go to games at Hampden with your eyes open?

There are plenty of pubs and restaurants around the area, its less then 3 miles from the city centre its not in the back of beyond somewhere like Perth or Inverness.

In close proximity to Hampden itself? There was f**k all open nearer than Shawlands when I was last there in 2012 for the Cup Final. 

You've missed my point entirely regarding McDiarmid Parks proximity to Perth City centre entirely......I was suggesting the very people championing Hampdens location are very likely to be critical of McDiarmid Parks. Not as a proposed location for the National team.

FWIW I think Hampden is the best choice of the two given but lets not paint it as something its not.

14 minutes ago, sjc said:

Plenty pubs within walking distance of Hampden. 

I dont want to go to a restaurant before a game either.  Bag of chips at best. 

1 minute ago, sjc said:

In close proximity to Hampden itself? There was f**k all open nearer than Shawlands when I was last there in 2012 for the Cup Final. 

You've missed my point entirely regarding McDiarmid Parks proximity to Perth City centre entirely......I was suggesting the very people championing Hampdens location are very likely to be critical of McDiarmid Parks. Not as a proposed location for the National team.

FWIW I think Hampden is the best choice of the two given but lets not paint it as something its not.

Again you must be going with your eyes closed - I've been to Hampden plenty of times since 2012 and  there are plenty of closer places that are open than Shawlands, ffs!!! Only out of towners with no idea would go to Hampden via Shawlands.

9 minutes ago, drs said:

Again you must be going with your eyes closed - I've been to Hampden plenty of times since 2012 and  there are plenty of closer places that are open than Shawlands, ffs!!! Only out of towners with no idea would go to Hampden via Shawlands.

Even shawlands isn't exactly far, half an hour walk if that. And on that walk you'd also pass at least four pubs and several restaurants on the way.

12 minutes ago, drs said:

or those of us fortunate to have lived in the West end......but please, point out where exactly for future reference so I can enjoy a bar lunch prior to watching a game at Hampden?

5 minutes ago, GAD said:

Even shawlands isn't exactly far, half an hour walk if that. And on that walk you'd also pass at least four pubs and several restaurants on the way.

Only one of which was open on this Cup Final day, no doubt due to the "fear" of hooliganism!

5 minutes ago, sjc said:

or those of us fortunate to have lived in the West end......but please, point out where exactly for future reference so I can enjoy a bar lunch prior to watching a game at Hampden?

Clockwork, about a two minute walk from Hampden, sells a shit tonne of varieties of beer on tap as well as decent food.

Absolutely no idea what you’re slavering on about claiming there’s nowhere to eat or drink nearby.

49 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

Maybe because the transport links in England are far superior to ours??

They really, really aren't. Most of the motorways are usually full, hence why they have to pull tricks like using the hard shoulder as an additional lane, or managed speed limits. The trains are worse.  Most of Devon and all of Cornwall were completely cut off for about two months in 2014 when the only line was severed at Dawlish. The only part of England where transport is very good is London itself. That isn't surprising when you analyse the amount that is spent on transport by region in England.

https://www.ippr.org/news-and-media/press-releases/new-transport-figures-reveal-north-to-receive-indefensible-2-555-less-per-person-than-london

Edited by JamesM82

2 minutes ago, sjc said:

Only one of which was open on this Cup Final day, no doubt due to the "fear" of hooliganism!

How would that be any different from Murrayfield then if there were hooliganism worries? If the pubs were closed it doesn't mean they don't exist. I've been in them all on numerous occasions when the football is on, including cup finals. Including a cup final against Hearts in fact.

1 minute ago, eez-eh said:

Clockwork, about a two minute walk from Hampden, sells a shit tonne of varieties of beer on tap as well as decent food.

Absolutely no idea what you’re slavering on about claiming there’s nowhere to eat or drink nearby.

Is it open for Cup Finals/National or just Queens Park games though? I'll stand corrected if so but the last time I was there the place on the whole, was closed.

Perhaps I was just spoilt for choice frequenting Tynecastle and all its local amenities......

1 minute ago, sjc said:

Is it open for Cup Finals/National or just Queens Park games though? I'll stand corrected if so but the last time I was there the place on the whole, was closed.

Perhaps I was just spoilt for choice frequenting Tynecastle and all its local amenities......

Yes, maybe not for Celtic/Rangers or even Hibs/Hearts finals, but that isn’t really Hampden’s issue.

There’s also plenty of other pubs to go to nearby as well as a fair few food outlets. You might be stuck if you’re looking for a full-on 3-course candlelit dinner, although I never thought that was too important in any football fans pre-match ritual.

13 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I like Hampden and am glad we are staying there but I agree that its not that easy to get to/from and whilst there are pubs in the area, there aren't enough so there isn't much hope of getting into a pub just before or just after kick-off, you have to be there well in advance.

Yes, maybe not for Celtic/Rangers or even Hibs/Hearts finals, but that isn’t really Hampden’s issue.

There’s also plenty of other pubs to go to nearby as well as a fair few food outlets. You might be stuck if you’re looking for a full-on 3-course candlelit dinner, although I never thought that was too important in any football fans pre-match ritual.

Dunno, sure the guys at the Ali Shan will stick a candle out if you ask them nicely! 

Well obviously you wouldn't have candles pre-match because that's going to be Lunch