Was that Hampden's last hurrah?

HibeeJibee

Grass isn't always greener.................better the devil you know etc. etc.

Given that the SFA won't announce their decision until the summer, the sensible course of action would be for them to hold the Costa Rica game at Murrayfield, announcing that they would be canvassing attendees for their views via an online survey afterwards. That would probably mean a higher than normal attendance for a meaningless fixture (novelty value + vested interest in future stadium selection) and would enable fans  / media / players to better understand the pros and cons of both venues.

Social media polls may currently favour Murrayfield, but how many are anti-Hampden votes rather than pro-Murrayfield ones. I suspect many have an idealistic impression of Murrayfield, and I'd like to see what those same polls would look like after the reality that neither venue is ideal began to sink in.

2 hours ago, Northsea80 said:

Mount Florida station is fit for purpose. It’s there to serve local commuters. It just happens to be the closest station to Hampden and I’ve never understood why people would queue there for ages after a game at Hampden rather that walk the length of Cathcart rd to town.

Kings Park station isn't much further away either, and in the back of my mind is the thought that it's possible to run trains up that line (i.e. away from Mount Florida station) which can go straight to Edinburgh via Cambuslang & Bellshill. Can any trainspotters erm railway enthusiasts confirm whether that's feasible, as if so is then why don't Scotrai's run football specials from there straight through to the East?

I'd imagine the footy fans would like it for the far easier transport links with buses and trams readily available and a short walk to Haymarket.  Also, to watch national football in your country's capital will be nice too I'd imagine. 

However, the far more important aspect to me is that I want the SRU to get some sort of benefit to the football team moving in.  The finance generated would surely go towards grassroots rugby and finally getting a much needed 3rd pro team.  On that basis, it's a no-brainer to let the football team in.

Edited by come on shire

Honestly think people's opinion of Murrayfield would change if they actually saw a football match there.

I was at Hearts v Braga, Schalke and Fenecvaros there. Still heavily in favour of Murrayfield.

1 hour ago, The Spider said:

Kings Park station isn't much further away either, and in the back of my mind is the thought that it's possible to run trains up that line (i.e. away from Mount Florida station) which can go straight to Edinburgh via Cambuslang & Bellshill. Can any trainspotters erm railway enthusiasts confirm whether that's feasible, as if so is then why don't Scotrai's run football specials from there straight through to the East?

Because Scotrail.

Incompetence from first to last.

12 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I kinda agree, I really don’t think it should go to a no voting city, if Edinburgh is to host international football it should only be considered for a team GB (which the rugby types would get right behind).

We should decide where to play Scotland games based on the votes in the independence referendum? Given that this discussion has produced plenty of bonkers ideas that one is right up there with them.

53 minutes ago, The Spider said:

Yes you could, from King's Park through Newton and on via the Bellshill/Shotts line. I'll take my anorak off now.

43 minutes ago, JT1867 said:

We should decide where to play Scotland games based on the votes in the independence referendum? Given that this discussion has produced plenty of bonkers ideas that one is right up there with them.

Absolutely spot on.  I think the user "Inanimate Carbon Rod" also has such a device instead of a brain with his comment.  I'm a rugby fan first but voted Yes and also vote SNP, whilst I know a few folk who attend Hampden regularly who voted No and despise the SNP.  It's about what's more practical re transport links and large numbers of fans getting to and fro safely and quickly.  However, there are a few who must infuse football with politics sadly.

Yes you could, from King's Park through Newton and on via the Bellshill/Shotts line. I'll take my anorak off now.

If I remember right that very thing was done for the Edinburgh derby final (or something very similar anyway).

Probably more for segregation reasons than customer convenience, right enough..

3 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

According to the boss of Hampden on the radio last week, the stadium would have to close if the SFA leave.

That's obvious. Without the SFA deal, Queens Park would need big Government subsidies to cover the maintenance costs.  It would not be a surprise if the SFA asks Sturgeon for subsidies to stay at Hampden. 

I like Hampden but I'd go for Murrayfield if I had the choice, selfishly because it's easier for me to get to. 

Watched Hearts play a few games there (Braga, Osasuna, Siroki Brijeg and AEK Athens) and unless it's changed significantly I don't see the big problem with it tbh.

54 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

According to the boss of Hampden on the radio last week, the stadium would have to close if the SFA leave.

It's a no brainer as unsustainable without football rental (as has been the club's business model for well over a hundred years now). Mount Florida is a popular residential area so I can't see any other option than to sell the 33 acres off for housing and start again from scratch with the funds that generates (or to sell off 75%  of it and upgrade Lesser Hampden to League status). The problem is that our business model has been to use the profit (after Stadium upkeep costs) from football and concerts to run all our youth teams and community programmes, so if we lose our Hampden income which I'd estimate is easily 90+% of our annual turnover, then I don't think you would need to be an accounting genius to work out what would happen to those development activities when a new sustainable model was created.

Scottish football needs to do what it thinks is best for the game as a whole, so no squealing from me if they go for the Murrayfield option. Everyone needs to be aware though that there will be no opportunity to reverse that decision if they discover it's not the utopia some believe it to be, and the only alternative will be to either build a new National Stadium with (by then) Queen Nicola's squillions, or to increase the the strangehold that the bigot brothers currently enjoy.

It's therefore probably the most important decision that Scottish football has ever made, so it needs to be the right one

38 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

That's obvious. Without the SFA deal, Queens Park would need big Government subsidies to cover the maintenance costs.  It would not be a surprise if the SFA asks Sturgeon for subsidies to stay at Hampden. 

As mentioned previously the alleged maintenance costs at Hampden are similar to Regan's salary. Hmmmmm.....

6 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

I like Hampden but I'd go for Murrayfield if I had the choice, selfishly because it's easier for me to get to. 

Watched Hearts play a few games there (Braga, Osasuna, Siroki Brijeg and AEK Athens) and unless it's changed significantly I don't see the big problem with it tbh.

Glasgow is the home of Scottish football it should stay there.  And keep the money in football f**k rugby.

I posted this on the other Hampden thread, on the fans' views page. Apologies if it's a terrible lack of board etiquette to repost it here.

It's not an easy decision. My big problem with the whole thing though is how the SFA is keeping us in the dark.

As the governing body, the SFA should do what a government would do. They should publish a consultation paper setting out the options - continuation of the lease, renovating Hampden, using Murrayfield, using Parkhead/Ibrox. For each they should set out the costs and benefits in terms of finance, football and community.

How much will the maintenance costs of staying at Hampden be? How much would it cost to renovate Hampden by digging down (as Rangers did) to bring the stands closer to the pitch, and rebuilding the ends (as Stuttgart did)? How much will the rental be at Hampden, Parkhead, Ibrox and Murrayfield? If we leave Hampden will it be left as a white elephant, what's the likely value of the site and can QPFC be re-homed at Lesser Hampden? For each of the options, what's the net income from a typical round of qualifiers? Where does the current fanbase live?

The SFA have, or ought to have, answers to all of these questions. They should set these out in a consultation paper and seek online responses in a formal way, from clubs, fans and other interested bodies. They should act as custodians of the national game rather than its masters. Instead they intend to make their own decision and leave us all here, bickering in the dark.

14 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Glasgow is the home of Scottish football it should stay there.  And keep the money in football f**k rugby.

We don't know which option would lead to more money for football. Murrayfield is much bigger so could raise more in ticket sales, and Hampden could be facing some big maintenance costs, so it's entirely possible moving to Murrayfield would be the financially smarter option. But the SFA won't release any actual information, so we don't know.