Project Brave rumbles on..

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, LinkinFighter said:

The singling out of Hamilton here is hilarious emoji38.png.

I am also finding it outrageously hilarious, all these fans of clubs with much bigger budgets and vastly more resources being snubbed for Project Brave by the SFA in favour of little old Hamilton's inclusion. 

The rage and jealousy being emitted is providing me with a suitable level of entertainment.

17 hours ago, happyaccie said:

Accies as far as I know have no plans for an indoor facility, but did have plans to put a dome roof structure behind the goal at the Sainsbury end of the ground which would cover a 5 a-side area playing surface.

ETA I don't know if this was to adhere to Project Brave requirements or was just the clubs idea to improve our current facilities.

Did we not say that some of the money that "disappeared" was set aside for putting a roof over the training area.

On 13/11/2017 at 12:01, Marr1 said:

To be honest, I'm quite disappointed that United aren't involved. However the fact that Dundee, United nor Saints are not involved is complete bullshit.

The SFA are fucking joke. Project Brave is fucking embarrassing, all but one of the clubs involved are within a 40 minute drive of Glasgow is scandalous.

How the f**k can Accies be involved in this, since 2010 only one of their players has gone on to play for Scotland and that was Stevie May who was on loan from  St Johnstone.

J. McArthur has played for Scotland 32 times, which United players have represented Scotland since the 2010 date you mentioned ?

BBC covering this as well. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41975479

Interesting to see the staff St Mirren would have had to employ to meet the Elite criteria.

- u18s coach
- Academy sports scientist
- head of recruitment 
- performance analyst
- head of children's programme

I know there's been a lot of chat about Accies and seethe about their tiny budget but taking a quick look online, then as of the 16/17 season they already had the majority of these positions filled so bar maybe one or two additions it's not really going to increase their costs dramatically.

As the Director of Youth Development at Hamilton Academical F.C I would like to introduce you all to my Team:
Head of Youth Development —George Cairns
PA to George Cairns — Catriona McRoberts
Head of Elite Children’s Academy— Matt Boyle
1 st Team & Academy Secretary – Scott Struthers
Head of Sports Medicine & Science – Victoria McIntyre
Academy Sports Scientist – Kevin Symon
Performance Analyst- Dominic Stewart
U17 coaches – Guillaume Beuzelin/Dougie Imrie
U15 coaches – Stephen Clarke &Stuart Smith
U14 coaches – Ross Reddiex & Colin Jack
U13 coaches – David McKay & Shaun Fagan
U12 coaches – Marc Conroy & Rudi McKenna
U11 coaches – Kevin Taggart & Stephen McGhie Jnr.
Academy Coaches - Matthew Craig/ Aidan Hughes/ Ross Reddiex
GK Coaches - Brian Potter

http://www.hamiltonacciesfc.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/HAFC-Youth-Academy-20161.pdf

Similarly for Motherwell, the only job we've advertised was for the Academy Head of Sports Science and Medicine back at the start of August. So again, it's not like we're going to be piling on staff costs to meet the criteria most of the roles required are already in place at Fir Park (as far as I can tell).

9 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Interesting to see the staff St Mirren would have had to employ to meet the Elite criteria.

- u18s coach
- head of recruitment 
- performance analyst

I know there's been a lot of chat about Accies and seethe about their tiny budget but taking a quick look online, then as of the 16/17 season they already had the majority of these positions filled so bar maybe one or two additions it's not really going to increase their costs dramatically.

http://www.hamiltonacciesfc.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/HAFC-Youth-Academy-20161.pdf

Similarly for Motherwell, the only job we've advertised was for the Academy Head of Sports Science and Medicine back at the start of August. So again, it's not like we're going to be piling on staff costs to meet the criteria most of the roles required are already in place at Fir Park (as far as I can tell).

People can slag Accies off all they like, they could bin some of those and beef up their 1st team squad like the rest, it's not really the sort of long term plan most fans want to see at their club though.

16 hours ago, LinkinFighter said:

The singling out of Hamilton here is hilarious emoji38.png.

Before: "this will pander to the big teams/old firm etc instead of youth development"

After: "Hamilton, too wee, 2 stands, no fans, no money, plastic pitch"

:lol:

#LanarkshireYouthHub

23 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

- u18s coach
- head of recruitment 
- performance analyst

I always thought Accies were on the steering committee precisely because they had been through setting up the necessary structure, as with their - 

8 minutes ago, NaeVay said:

too wee, 2 stands, no fans, no money, plastic pitch"

- there would be no other reason :)

Also - Shaun Fagan.

Utter bollocks that a sports scientist and performance analyst are required.

This is faddish shite.

I am not advocating a return to roast dinners before games and ten pints of heavy afterwards. These kids need to practice basic skills, lots and stay fit.

36 minutes ago, coprolite said:

This is faddish shite.

I am not advocating a return to roast dinners before games and ten pints of heavy afterwards. These kids need to practice basic skills, lots and stay fit.

Disagree tbh.

Speaking anecdotally we've seen a huge difference in our Dev team players since we've had a Sports Scientist on board working with them. In fact most comments from other teams supporters who have seen our u20s have highlighted the fact that they look a more developed side. Quicker, faster and stronger.

Looking at the development of guys like Cadden, Campbell, Jake Hastie to an extent and even David Turnbull who, when he broke into the u20s team as a 16 year old was built like the side of a fiver is able to comfortably compete in the centre of the park against league teams. He completely dominated the midfield in the Irn Bru cup game vs Queens Park.

It's the distinction between the Elite tier I suppose. No one's saying you need a Sports Scientist as part of your youth set up but if you want to attain the Elite grading then you do. The more I'm reading about this stuff the more it seems quite opt in. It's up to the club to decide whether they think it's worth it.

For what it's worth I still think the SFA are a shambles and the whole Project Brave programme will fall on its arse.

30 minutes ago, coprolite said:

This is faddish shite.

I would argue that someone analysing your game properly would then allow you to perfect those basic skills and a sports scientist can help you with your diet, recovery and planning to keep you fit. I am totally in favour of Scottish clubs using technology and different methods in helping their players. I would say that one actual disadvantage of all these posts is that when I've been reading about German football there are a few there who are concerned that they are creating ultra fit, ultra technical footballers who are all pretty much the same and that it doesn't allow for individuals to flourish because everyone is going through the same methods. 

Disagree tbh.
Speaking anecdotally we've seen a huge difference in our Dev team players since we've had a Sports Scientist on board working with them. In fact most comments from other teams supporters who have seen our u20s have commented on the fact that they look a more developed side. Quicker, faster and stronger.
Looking at the development of guys like Cadden, Campbell, Jake Hastie to an extent and even David Turnbull who, when he broke into the u20s team as a 16 year old was built like the side of a fiver is able to comfortably compete in the centre of the park against league teams. He completely dominated the midfield in the Irn Bru cup game vs Queens Park.
It's the distinction between the Elite tier I suppose. No one's saying you need a Sports Scientist as part of your youth set up but if you want to attain the Elite grading then you do. The more I'm reading about this stuff the more it seems quite opt in. It's up to the club to decide whether they think it's worth it.
For what it's worth I still think the SFA are a shambles and the whole Project Brave programme will fall on its arse.

Your senior team looked quicker, faster and stronger than ours and we've got a sports scientist.

I bet if we could do a controlled experiment, the difference would be down to putting the hours in.

i can see that at "elite" level it might make a difference but I don't think that there will be eight teams worth of elite youth in Scotland at any one time, nowhere near.

The SFA should concentrate on improving the numbers of competent pros. The top clubs can then pay to develop the actual elite players.

I would argue that someone analysing your game properly would then allow you to perfect those basic skills and a sports scientist can help you with your diet, recovery and planning to keep you fit. I am totally in favour of Scottish clubs using technology and different methods in helping their players. I would say that one actual disadvantage of all these posts is that when I've been reading about German football there are a few there who are concerned that they are creating ultra fit, ultra technical footballers who are all pretty much the same and that it doesn't allow for individuals to flourish because everyone is going through the same methods. 

i disagree.

just because someone can do a spreadsheet of stats and convert it into a nice coloured chart then wibble on about targets etc it doesn't mean that they are any better at identifying weaknesses than a knowledgeable layman.

sports science as a discipline suffers from dodgy peer review and sponsored trials. For example, that tape that they used to put on is widely discredited but it is still "knowledge" amongst some practioners that it supports injured muscles.

you can find equally reliable information on wikipedia to plan your fitness

16 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Your senior team looked quicker, faster and stronger than ours and we've got a sports scientist.

I bet if we could do a controlled experiment, the difference would be down to putting the hours in.

i can see that at "elite" level it might make a difference but I don't think that there will be eight teams worth of elite youth in Scotland at any one time, nowhere near.

The SFA should concentrate on improving the numbers of competent pros. The top clubs can then pay to develop the actual elite players.

I'd go as far as to say there would probably only be a handful (if that) of "elite" players in total across those 8 teams. Let alone 8 teams of "Elite" players. I don't really see that sports science and data analysis isn't going to be a benefit to a team's youth structure though.

The issue I'd have is if you find them locking out teams who meet the criteria. Then it's definitely a problem.

From the sound of things though most sides seem to be happy enough to go on at their own pace as they have been. Which is fair enough IMO.

37 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I'd go as far as to say there would probably only be a handful (if that) of "elite" players in total across those 8 teams. Let alone 8 teams of "Elite" players. I don't really see that sports science and data analysis isn't going to be a benefit to a team's youth structure though.

The issue I'd have is if you find them locking out teams who meet the criteria. Then it's definitely a problem.

From the sound of things though most sides seem to be happy enough to go on at their own pace as they have been. Which is fair enough IMO.

Unfortunately that handful won't get to play the other handful or 2 in those clubs that aren't elite.

Archived