Jail

Cerberus

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Karpaty said:

I've read the book of the Irish guy who got jailed in Venezuela. Pretty harrowing stuff. but would definitely recommend it if you're into that sort of thing. Or the David MacMillan one escaping from Klong Prem in Thailand.

<<< not a drug smuggler.

Just read The Damage Done last week about Warren Fellows, an Aussie drug smuggler who served nearly 12 years in Thai jails, harrowing stuff

10 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

I assume you mean they spent the best part of 20 banged up over multiple short sentence? I don’t think you’d do
20 Consecutive years unless you’d done something pretty big.

Yeah multiple short sentences.

Most memorable one was a guy continually jailed for making false 999 calls.  In for 6 months out for a couple.  Jail was never going to help that guy.

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Most memorable one was a guy continually jailed for making false 999 calls.  In for 6 months out for a couple.  Jail was never going to help that guy.

I bet the local firemen and paramedics were over the moon though 

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

A mate down in England volunteered to do some kind of prison monitoring, he went in and spoke to prisoners and guards and sent his feedback 'back up the line', he thought there were a lot of mental health types in jail and that a lot of the perverts/beasts had something (apart from the obvious) wrong with them, in their heads they were the victims.  

Not sure what the answer is  but we can't just let people carry on ringing 999 for the attention or whatever, some people will never be 'fixed' and while jail isn't the answer, they can't be left to do their thang either.

Got put in a van and taken into the cells when I was 17 along with a dozen or so mates for under age drinking.

They must've been on a anti drinking campaign or something. Some plain clothes guy came up to us and said "alright lads nothing is going to happen to you" then started searching us. A meat wagon then turned up and we all got bundled in. Drink confiscated and put into cells for two hours. They phoned my parents and left a message so bolted up the road and deleted it then back on the booze the next day.

:lol:

Im sure what they did was all sorts of wrong and just to teach us a lesson. Thing was we had been drinking outside since 15ish and had never caused any bother really. Just a few tins, game of football and chasing birds. One of my mates mum used to buy us the booze so what could they say?

American prisons seem something else, really sad to see.

Done a night in the jail in Anchorage Alaska, was on a dry boat for 6 weeks, got my wages in cash and flew into Anchorage in morning went to a boozer and the woman behind the bar was from Largs and was generous with the whisky, headed out to a strip club where I was asked to leave for being steaming. Wandered around Anchorage looking for my digs couldn't find it and was stopped by the polis. Drunken Scots wasn't their first language so I was taking to the local jail and put in the drunk tank with a dozen Inuit guys. just got the head down and when I got up I had to drink about 3 litres of water and hang about for a couple of hours till I could pass the breathalyzer. No charges and basically the Polis had a laugh about it. Had a couple o grand in my pocket so was thankful to wake up with that intact.

Never been in jail but I stupidly fell for the ol' "good cop, bad cop" routine when I was 18/19 and in a bit of bother for getting into a fecht up toon. Felt like a right p***k. Got a caution for BoP and assault.

22 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

A mate down in England volunteered to do some kind of prison monitoring, he went in and spoke to prisoners and guards and sent his feedback 'back up the line', he thought there were a lot of mental health types in jail and that a lot of the perverts/beasts had something (apart from the obvious) wrong with them, in their heads they were the victims.  

Not sure what the answer is  but we can't just let people carry on ringing 999 for the attention or whatever, some people will never be 'fixed' and while jail isn't the answer, they can't be left to do their thang either.

I totally agree, my point being that this is a guy needing help rather than incarceration.

The story I was told by the warder, and it could easily have been nonsense, was that he was in the pub in his youth and some guys playing darts in a tournament were firemen who were called out resulting in this guy getting a chance to play.  Probably nonsense but, if true, then a tragically funny thing.

2 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Over the weekend a person I loosely know broke the law and is now looking at extended incarceration.

I've never been but jail sounds a bit pish.

What's P&Bs experience with jail? Has anyone been in jail?
Was it like Ernest Goes To Jail and a delightful hoot?

On the bright side, he'll be treated better than a UK pensioner.

I served 18 months of a 3 year sentence for GBH.

When I was younger I was a big drinker and had been in trouble with the police growing up. When I was 21 I did a 3 month sentence at home in Mountjoy in Dublin – The Joy. That was a kip so old – no toilets in the cells up to a few years ago so had to slop out and everything which is pretty crap.

Then went to England to work where things got worse and ended up getting the 3 years there. That was in 2010.

It probably turned out being a good thing as that sentence changed me and made me realise that if I didn’t change I could end up being in and out of prison all my life like some of the others there. Prison is bad enough but when I got sentenced I had girlfriend with a baby on the way and that made me grow up and change. My girlfriend stood by me and had our baby when I was locked up. That was pretty hard to deal with.

After the first few weeks you just get used to it and accept it and then I just tried to keep busy. Most days you'd have work and courses and sosh but at weekends or if there weren't enough screws it could be 22 hours lock up. Really boring - spend those days mainly watching TV, sleeping, smoking, reading a bit. That's when it really gets to you that you are locked up. I preferred keeping busy, working doing courses - anything is better than being locked up in your cell.

When I was in for 18 months by the end of it I had a good routine and everybody knew me and it wasn't so bad. You lose your freedom but you know what your life is like and just get on with it without having to think about it. I kind of got used to the routine.

I’m 31 now so hopefully those days are behind me now. Since getting out from that sentence have only been arrested once for something stupid so I am doing alright.

3 hours ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Was in for a 16 hour stretch few years ago. I had a modified number plate on hinges to avoid paying a toll bridge and was stopped in a sting operation. Turns out I had previous been banned from driving after not producing my licence and insurance so was kept in overnight and brought to court the next day. The whole thing was grim.
From my overnight cell with this itchy horsehair/pubey blanket and hole in the floor for toilet. Get regularly disturbed during the night to be checked on. To the holding cell next day with junkies and scumbags wanting to know what you were there for.
Got a free big mac though.

Police cells are worse than prison cells when you are kept in. Nothing to do, no one to talk to. not allowed have a smoke. I was nicked on a Friday night before,  questioned on Saturday and kept in for court on Monday morning. Seemed like the longest weekend ever.

That sounds like a Garda cell to me - and seeing you in Dublin it probably was especially with what you say about the hole in the floor as a toilet and  having to nearly beg for toilet paper and then trying to get them to flush it (they can only be flushed by the guard from outside the cell). Remember getting Supermacs instead of McDonalds though. 

Archived