Smacking Ban

Scary Bear

Awesome anecdote dude. 
The suggestion that kids only, or predominantly, get smacked to educate them about real life hazards, or to prevent an immediate danger is incredibly dishonest. Kids get hit because their parents are angry and frustrated. That's why it's a bad thing. Fairy stories about keeping kids away from the fuse box, or the fire place, cooker etc are disingenuous nonsense.

I'm just telling you as it is. I believe your opinion is disingenuous nonsense.

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Who here is willing to admit both that their parents smacked them AND that they believe they had bad and abusive parents?

My father both smacked me AND took me to Ibrox.  I only resent him for one of those...

1 minute ago, heedthebaa said:

Yes there is, just sit back, do f**k all and tell all c**t they have ADHD

Doesn't work that way I'm afraid, you'll just want to smack your child for chastising your grandwean 

I don't know, my daughter is going out with a Muslim (a good few years now) so as a card carrying bairn beater I'm probably a shoe in as a racist too. I might be able to get a 'twofer', and if its a lassie I can be a sexist as well. That kid has it coming. 

tenor.gif

2 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

I don't know, my daughter is going out with a Muslim (a good few years now) so as a card carrying bairn beater I'm probably a shoe in as a racist too. I might be able to get a 'twofer', and if its a lassie I can be a sexist as well. That kid has it coming. 

tenor.gif

You certainly appear to have issues, other than the obvious.

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Who here is willing to admit both that their parents smacked them AND that they believe they had bad and abusive parents?

Genuine reply here.   I recall being smacked at age 4 or 5 and thinking - 'If my parents love me why are they hitting me?'      

Obviously, I'm not scared or anything, but It potentially made me trust them less as a wee nipper. 

Genuine reply here.   I recall being smacked at age 4 or 5 and thinking - 'If my parents love me why are they hitting me?'      
Obviously, I'm not scared or anything, but It potentially made me trust them less as a wee nipper. 

It's difficult to tell when (if ever) you are telling the truth.

2 minutes ago, PB 4.2 said:

I just remember thinking I'd better behave 

11 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I think you are missing the point.

Abuse is not about the intent of the behaviour. It is about the impact of the behaviour...

12 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Oh I see, you've entirely missed the point. Here it is: smacking isn't a little bum slap or an arse tap. 

The point of smacking is to inflict pain and/or fear and/or humiliation otherwise how is it supposed to influence behaviour? A little 'bum slap' or 'arse tap' is completely irrelevant and anyone hiding behind that sort of terminology is kidding themself as to what they're actually doing to their kids.

That's exactly what smacking is to a large number of people and the definition doesn't indicate the strength of said smack. How's about you stop making up your own definitions to suit your skewed debate.

1 minute ago, Angusfifer said:

I think you are missing the point.

Abuse is not about the intent of the behaviour. It is about the impact of the behaviour...

and good parents will take that into consideration. The bad ones won't give a shit. Smacking I'm on about, not abuse.

Just now, Bairnardo said:

Fair enough. Nice to see someone attempt to address and discuss the issue. Now with the benefit of hindsight, were they bad and abusive parents on the basis that they smacked you?

Absolutely not.   But I do think they'd have been better parents if they chose to correct my behaviour using non-violent means.  

6 minutes ago, PB 4.2 said:

Scared, probably not

Scarred, definitely 

Archived