Smacking Ban

11 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

My son has been skelpt once, when he was 4, now 12.

He kept wanting to go into cupboard with electric box, meter, etc. Three times despite stern telling off twice.

After third time and skelp he never went near it ever again.

Does he remember it now, yes. I've never had to raise my hand since. Just a facial expression and tone of voice, has done it since.

Take from that, what you will.

Oh and before anyone mentions it, potential naughty step was at said cupboard.

Making certain kids untouchable will breed bigger nightmare than is already unfolding with current generation kids, born under the " namby pamby" brigade.

A skelp is not assault.

Any adult that abuses their kids, whether physically or mentally is utter scum and must be dealt with.

Awesome anecdote dude. 

The suggestion that kids only, or predominantly, get smacked to educate them about real life hazards, or to prevent an immediate danger is incredibly dishonest. Kids get hit because their parents are angry and frustrated. That's why it's a bad thing. Fairy stories about keeping kids away from the fuse box, or the fire place, cooker etc are disingenuous nonsense.

18 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

Right, here we go.

I got smacked as a kid from my parents. The preferred form was a shoe or slipper over the bare arse. More degrading than painful, although it was fucking sore as well. Corporal punishment was administered at school from the age of eight for losing my place at reading. 

I genuinely don't hold any grudges against my parents - they didn't know any better, it was the done thing at the time ("spare the rod, spoil the child* - what an utterly ridiculous saying). 

We have two children, both now in their twenties.

The oldest got a skelp round the backside (we didn't know any better either) when she behaved badly - never the humiliating bare bum with an object. We soon realised that this only happened when we had lost control of the situation and decided to ditch the smacking. The younger kid didn't get smacked. He has grown up the more couthy of the two - both great kids but one with a nippy temper and one without.

The bottom (sorry) line is, you don't need to inflict physical pain and degrading treatment on your kids to bring them up well...      

I remember very early on in Primary School the class getting a bit rowdy and the teacher ordering the whole class to line up for a slap. Before that women coming to the house used to give me an annoying kiss or sometimes a sweetie. Big disappointment. The only time I remember my Dad hitting me was when my Mum was away at lunchtime and he had to sort out lunch. Think we'd both had a bad morning so when he asked how I was doing at arithmetic and what was 5 x 6 or something, I said leave me alone, I've had this all morning. He blew up, put me on his knee and smacked me till I gave the answer. Apart from that he was the kindest man alive, but it's the humiliation that is the vivid memory, and the resentment, not the pain. I have sympathy for parents who find mild slaps an effective way of telling young children to stop behaving badly or dangerously but a default of don't is probably the way to go. Kissing a sore bit better will probably be the next thing to be banned without NICE approval.

4 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

My dad hit me loads and it was deserved, one time he went over the score and volleyed me a few times. Apart from that no problems and it taught me to stop whatever I was doing.

I can remember loads of my pals or their wee brothers later on getting their ass whacked with slippers etc. I don't get what all the fuss is about, yes wee kids under five is totally wrong. Tricky subject and the pc brigade need to back off and not mix up decent caring parents with horrible psychopaths who want to harm people for no reason.

If I witnessed a wee kid running onto a road and then getting  severe telt with one small bum slap I would say that's good parenting. 

What does anyone learn from one small bum slap? The point can only be to frighten our hurt otherwise where's the incentive to change behaviour? One wee bum slap is not going to achieve that. 

3 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Awesome anecdote dude. 

The suggestion that kids only, or predominantly, get smacked to educate them about real life hazards, or to prevent an immediate danger is incredibly dishonest. Kids get hit because their parents are angry and frustrated. That's why it's a bad thing. Fairy stories about keeping kids away from the fuse box, or the fire place, cooker etc are disingenuous nonsense.

Sometimes there may be an element of that but if the kid see's how angry/frustrated/scared/worried/bat shit crazy their parent is about something then it might just stay with them.  Most parents don't do it for shits and giggles, if and when they do. Sorry if this flies in the face of popular opinion on here.

1 minute ago, Pull My Strings said:

What does anyone learn from one small bum slap? The point can only be to frighten our hurt otherwise where's the incentive to change behaviour? One wee bum slap is not going to achieve that. 

Running onto road = pain = one less dead kid

1 minute ago, chomp my root said:

Sometimes there may be an element of that but if the kid see's how angry/frustrated/scared/worried/bat shit crazy their parent is about something then it might just stay with them.  Most parents don't do it for shits and giggles, if and when they do. Sorry if this flies in the face of popular opinion on here.

What? Of course they don't do it for shirts and giggles  - they do it because they don't know what else to do and they've lost control. 

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that hitting kids doesn't work - in a very limited sense - depends what you want to achieve -I'm suggesting it's harmful and unnecessary.

Not every parent who smacks is a bad parent but it's not good parenting. 

I assumed from your user name that you had some connection to Glasgow.

I do, through my dad (well, if you count Rutherglen as Glasgow) so am aware of plenty of phrases which are unfamiliar down here, but haven't heard that before.

Checked with my dad and he knows it.

2 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

What? Of course they don't do it for shirts and giggles  - they do it because they don't know what else to do and they've lost control. 

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that hitting kids doesn't work - in a very limited sense - depends what you want to achieve -I'm suggesting it's harmful and unnecessary.

There are plenty that don't smack that are seriously bad parents.

1 minute ago, Pull My Strings said:

Maybe not perfect parenting, I doubt anyone sets out looking to lay a hand on their kids but real life can get in the way. Its not always down to losing control, sometimes there will be exasperation/rage or whatever but if that is tempered to a  (not too painful) smack instead of a roundhouse kick to the swede then its sometimes still the right thing to do at that second in time. If the kid learns a valuable lesson then its no harm done by a skelp. For me the big problem is those that are so dead set against it that they can't see that it might have a part to play for some in the way they bring up their kids. As I posted several pages ago, the only time I can remember hitting my kid was after repeatedly not looking when we were crossing the road. She really can't remember being hit, its not had a lasting effect. The problem for me seems to be that good parents will have a parenting tool removed from them, like any tool, either use it or don't, its up to you but stopping parents from having the option really isn't the way to stop bad parents battering weans.

15 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

How is a tap on the arse harmful?