Smacking Ban

2 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Can't be bothered to read the whole thread so don't know when this new law comes into effect.

Will we still be able to beat up trick or treaters?

Unless you’re pretending to be American like some other posters on here, call it guising or I’ll smack ye.

22 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Should be outlawed for parents, but there should be a company you can hire that will come out and kick f**k out of your weans for you.  Would i be happy to do that for a living?  Yes, yes i would.  

I envisage you getting the shit kicked out of you by an obstreperous 10 year old girl.

Question for the "My kids and I'll hit them if I want to" posters - Do you also hit your grandparents?

I have neither grandparents or children so obviously I'm not allowed an opinion on whether hitting either group is acceptable. Is there a difference and if so, what?

14 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I am, Mr McEnroe. We are obviously more influenced by American Halloween traditions than Scottish ones down here.

I assumed from your user name that you had some connection to Glasgow.

10 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

I've been heard of it being called Guising.

Then again I didn't grow up in the 50s.

You didn't grow up with a grasp of English, either, by the look of things...

20 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Question for the "My kids and I'll hit them if I want to" posters - Do you also hit your grandparents?

I have neither grandparents or children so obviously I'm not allowed an opinion on whether hitting either group is acceptable. Is there a difference and if so, what?

While I am very much against smacking children, I am intrigued at this grandparent hitting thing. Has this been banned yet and do they have to be yours?

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Why would you hit your grandparents?

Why would you hit your child?

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Why are people throwing these bizarre examples in?

What's bizarre about it? Why is hitting an elderly person unacceptable to you but hitting a child OK?

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Also, since the bottom point is obviously directed at me, I never said you weren't allowed an opinion, I said I personally won't be lectured to by someone who isn't going through what I am going through in terms of trying to best figure out how to raise my child. I also find it quite bizarre that people have jumped on what I said to defend their right to an opinion, by basically trying to belittle my right to my opinion. 

My 88 year old mother has dementia and lives in a nursing home.  I'm pretty sure that if I admitted to hitting her, plenty of people would "lecture me" even though they aren't going through what I am going through in terms of trying to best figure out how to care for my mother.

Obviously you're going to continue hitting your child regardless of what any of us think. But you specified you won't take a lecture from "people who don't have kids." If had kids, could I lecture you then? 

Just now, HenryHill said:

While I am very much against smacking children, I am intrigued at this grandparent hitting thing. Has this been banned yet and do they have to be yours?

As far as I'm aware there is no ban, because society has never needed one. Nobody thinks hitting elderly people is acceptable. Children though...they're fair game.

1 minute ago, Shotgun said:

As far as I'm aware there is no ban, because society has never needed one. Nobody thinks hitting elderly people is acceptable. Children though...they're fair game.

Well. Since kids are now protected, I can see old folk getting rough treatment until that loophole is dealt with.

1 minute ago, Shotgun said:

You're being silly. If I'd slapped my Dad's arse when he did something dangerous he wouldn't have remembered. A child might.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Like I said there are some exceptions to people who might know a thing or two, but all the moral high ground stuff going on in here, people with zero experience shouting about how parents are abusing their kids because they've given them a wee skelp is utter nonsense. This isnt a black and white issue and it is being painted as one on here. I also didnt suggest all parents are automatically good parents, what I said was purely from my own point of view.

There seem to be folk here refusing to acknowledge the difference between a tap on the legs or on the back of the hand versus beating a child and saying its just all abuse. Its just not that simple. I dont discipline my children that way, but for those who dont have children to come on here amd try to villify those who do and call them abusers, is quite cringeworthy to watch.

Its almost like some P & Ber's get themselves worked up over whatever is in the papers at the time and behave like its a view that they've been passionate about since 'forevah'........

tumblr_nwi836wQGN1udh5n8o1_r1_400.gif