Smacking Ban

5 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Oh, they did that too. For my own good, of course.

Mine too. The skekping was fine as it was usually for breaking something, hitting my brother or whatever.

The put downs, constantly being told I wasn't good enough was much more damaging, to me anyway. 

That's why Im not particularly fussed about a smack

Haven't bothered to read the thread but any adult that thinks it's ok to hit a child for whatever reason is a scumbag in my opinion. It says more about the parent than it does about the child. About time it was banned. People should be jailed if they continue to do it.

24 minutes ago, Tenkay said:

It's a generation thing!   I reckon how you view this smacking  ban might depend on what decade you were born.

I think the Older guys maybe over 45, who had the threat of being disciplined by the belt at school will be against the new laws.

The younger lads who've had a free pass (at school) to do whatever they want  all their days, will be outraged at the thought of  being disiplined.

Your view on this will be whatever you've been used to growing up yourself.

There's a big problem in understanding here.  You can leather your weans without disciplining them and discipline then without leathering them.  I took the latter approach and am an, "older guy(s) maybe over 45, who had the threat of being disciplined by the belt at school" and I am happy if skelping weans is outlawed.

Edited by The_Kincardine

Personally I blame the parents!

Seriously though (maybe) people shouldna be allowed to have kids until they've passed some basic parenting skills course on things like diet, exercise, sleep, setting boundaries, acceptable behavior etc. If you get knocked up/knock someone up before you have your HND in "Parent" then you dinna get your kid until you have passed.

Also raise the drinking age to 45, driving to 40 and age of consent to 30!

Actually I do think there are  really good parent out there, for the most past, it's just we see/hear/remember the scum better.

1 minute ago, whiskychimp said:

Why do folks keep using the words leathering and it's ilk.

I don't think I've read anything on here defending such behavior.

Its all about the rhetoric dude, where's the fun in having a go at someone who says they give their kid a slap on the wrist, its kind of hard to work yourself up into a froth over that, much better to clothe your cause of righteous indignation with talk of beating weans half to death. :lol:

At the end of the day, its all about the outrage baby. 

YoungOnesFinal.gif

1 minute ago, Jimmy85 said:

This meltdown by ‘chomp my root’ has been rather enjoyable tbf. 

He really hasn't had a meltdown at all. I do like these buzzword that trys to prevent people from answering as that would mean a "head gone" or whatever.

Why don't you debate his points?

1 minute ago, whiskychimp said:

He really hasn't had a meltdown at all. I do like these buzzword that trys to prevent people from answering as that would mean a "head gone" or whatever.

Why don't you debate his points?

That's not how this game is played mate. 

1 hour ago, Shotgun said:

Why would you hit your child?

What's bizarre about it? Why is hitting an elderly person unacceptable to you but hitting a child OK?

My 88 year old mother has dementia and lives in a nursing home.  I'm pretty sure that if I admitted to hitting her, plenty of people would "lecture me" even though they aren't going through what I am going through in terms of trying to best figure out hhat ow to care for my mother.

Obviously you're going to continue hitting your child regardless of what any of us think. But you specified you won't take a lecture from "people who don't have kids." If had kids, could I lecture you then? 

Aye, you've decided that abandoning her is the best way to care for her.

My son has been skelpt once, when he was 4, now 12.

He kept wanting to go into cupboard with electric box, meter, etc. Three times despite stern telling off twice.

After third time and skelp he never went near it ever again.

Does he remember it now, yes. I've never had to raise my hand since. Just a facial expression and tone of voice, has done it since.

Take from that, what you will.

Oh and before anyone mentions it, potential naughty step was at said cupboard.

Making certain kids untouchable will breed bigger nightmare than is already unfolding with current generation kids, born under the " namby pamby" brigade.

A skelp is not assault.

Any adult that abuses their kids, whether physically or mentally is utter scum and must be dealt with.

26 minutes ago, whiskychimp said:

Mine too. The skekping was fine as it was usually for breaking something, hitting my brother or whatever.

This is the bit I don't understand.  Hitting your brother was wrong so to illustrate how wrong it was you were hit?  Where's the logic?

17 minutes ago, Jimmy85 said:

This meltdown by ‘chomp my root’ has been rather enjoyable tbf. 

We'll comment when you've managed a worthwhile contribution on the subject.

4 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

This is the bit I don't understand.  Hitting your brother was wrong so to illustrate how wrong it was you were hit?  Where's the logic?

If I stole my brother's pocket money and my dad took my pocket money off me as a punishment, I'd learn that lesson.

Plus I got a tap. I'd leathered my brother. It wasnt eye for an eye stuff

Edited by whiskychimp

My dad hit me loads and it was deserved, one time he went over the score and volleyed me a few times. Apart from that no problems and it taught me to stop whatever I was doing.

I can remember loads of my pals or their wee brothers later on getting their ass whacked with slippers etc. I don't get what all the fuss is about, yes wee kids under five is totally wrong. Tricky subject and the pc brigade need to back off and not mix up decent caring parents with horrible psychopaths who want to harm people for no reason.

If I witnessed a wee kid running onto a road and then getting  severe telt with one small bum slap I would say that's good parenting. 

1 minute ago, D.A.F.C said:

My dad hit me loads and it was deserved, one time he went over the score and volleyed me a few times. Apart from that no problems and it taught me to stop whatever I was doing.

I can remember loads of my pals or their wee brothers later on getting their ass whacked with slippers etc. I don't get what all the fuss is about, yes wee kids under five is totally wrong. Tricky subject and the pc brigade need to back off and not mix up decent caring parents with horrible psychopaths who want to harm people for no reason.

If I witnessed a wee kid running onto a road and then getting  severe telt with one small bum slap I would say that's good parenting. 

When is volleying your kid ever ok.