Smacking Ban

3 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

Think it's great we've got the Daily Mail types with their "I was smacked and I turned out fine".

Turned out fine, other than encouraging violence towards children. 

I'd say your use of language is very "Daily Mail". 

Encourage violence indeed .:lol:

3 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

Think it's great we've got the Daily Mail types with their "I was smacked and I turned out fine".

You have just crossed a line!

I have been called a scumbag, a dinosaur and a child abuser on here today, however I have never read the Daily Mail! How low can you go? Your parents should of disciplined you with a smack. 

It's a generation thing!   I reckon how you view this smacking  ban might depend on what decade you were born.

I think the Older guys maybe over 45, who had the threat of being disciplined by the belt at school will be against the new laws.

The younger lads who've had a free pass (at school) to do whatever they want  all their days, will be outraged at the thought of  being disiplined.

Your view on this will be whatever you've been used to growing up yourself.

Funny subject.

I don't hit my kids, but tbf none of them have caused any criminal damage, brought the Polis to the door or shoved fireworks up the arse of the neighbours cats.

I find that going into the fuseboard and flicking off the circuit breakers for the upstairs sockets does the trick if the little fuckers get too lippy.

Not sure about a smacking ban though. Could be a green light for any feral little b*****ds to do what they want.

7 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

I'd suggest that while the Daily Mail rhetoric is pretty tragic, they're using a first hand example to put their case forward.  I cringe at the Mail myself but I'm not 12 so try and keep an open mind, using first hand examples is a pretty standard way of backing your case. Of course, if you're that blinkered and judgemental then you'll only see what you want to see.  

There are plenty ways to harm a child, either by an adult or another child, physically is just one of them, I have more memories of being bullied/humiliated or however you want to describe it by other kids (or young adults) than I do of being skelped by parents, who would never have tried to humiliate me the way other kids treat each other. 

I realise this is irrelevant because its all about the bandstanding, just putting it out there for those that will get it.

4 minutes ago, Tenkay said:

It's a generation thing!   I reckon how you view this smacking  ban might depend on what decade you were born.

I think the Older guys maybe over 45, who had the threat of being disciplined by the belt at school will be against the new laws.

The younger lads who've had a free pass (at school) to do whatever they want  all their days, will be outraged at the thought of  being disiplined.

Your view on this will be whatever you've been used to growing up yourself.

I think there may be some truth to this as a generalisation but I can assure you, I'm an exception to it. If it were possible to get my parents' opinion on the subject they would be sure to tell you that the constant 'swats' they (and my teachers) dished out never did me any harm.

They'd be wrong.

1 minute ago, Shotgun said:

I think there may be some truth to this as a generalisation but I can assure you, I'm an exception to it. If it were possible to get my parents' opinion on the subject they would be sure to tell you that the constant 'swats' they (and my teachers) dished out never did me any harm.

They'd be wrong.

Would it have been better if they'd used constant humiliation and put downs?

Id rather be skelped

2 minutes ago, Jimmy85 said:

I think deep down the majority of posters who physically attack their babies and toddlers are aware it’s fucking abhorrent behaviour. If this law saves one child from a skelping then it absolutely is a positive move. 

lovejoy3.jpg

If we want to save the lives of children then we wouldn't let 17 year olds drive.

Just now, chomp my root said:

lovejoy3.jpg

If we want to save the lives of children then we wouldn't let 17 year olds drive.

the amount of assemblies I've had at school about driving safely I'm surprised that isnt a law yet but that might just be because my school is full of numpties

8 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

They'd be wrong.

That's quite worrying with a username of Shotgun...

Just now, Shotgun said:

Oh, they did that too. For my own good, of course.

Sounds like they had a different approach to my own when it came to physically (and emotionally) chastising my kid. Reading between the lines, your parents sound like cvnts, that doesn't mean that everyone who dares to deal with their kids physically is an ogre. 

At the risk of offence...... get over yourself.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy85 said:

I think deep down the majority of posters who physically attack their babies and toddlers are aware it’s fucking abhorrent behaviour. If this law saves one child from a skelping then it absolutely is a positive move. 

Nobody has recommended punching babies or toddlers in the face. It's the kind of tactic you'd come up with instead of setting your family on fire to avoid meeting throbber for a pint.

Right, here we go.

I got smacked as a kid from my parents. The preferred form was a shoe or slipper over the bare arse. More degrading than painful, although it was fucking sore as well. Corporal punishment was administered at school from the age of eight for losing my place at reading. 

I genuinely don't hold any grudges against my parents - they didn't know any better, it was the done thing at the time ("spare the rod, spoil the child* - what an utterly ridiculous saying). 

We have two children, both now in their twenties.

The oldest got a skelp round the backside (we didn't know any better either) when she behaved badly - never the humiliating bare bum with an object. We soon realised that this only happened when we had lost control of the situation and decided to ditch the smacking. The younger kid didn't get smacked. He has grown up the more couthy of the two - both great kids but one with a nippy temper and one without.

The bottom (sorry) line is, you don't need to inflict physical pain and degrading treatment on your kids to bring them up well...