Smacking Ban

13 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I can remember my mum smacking me when I was younger, my dad never, instead all her had to do was raise his voice and it was enough for me to reel it in.

I don't think I could ever bring myself to do it tbh. Don't have kids, but the thought of skelping them for being inquisitive, not understanding to behave, or for acting out when it's inappropriate seems over the top.

I believe that other punishments (I.E. TV Ban, Toy ban, or groundings) to he more effective.

What would you suggest when all those fail miserably?

2 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

My kids are safe and I have never put them in danger or harms way. Its this black and white ignorant point of view that you have that makes me think that you were never smacked as a child.

Or not hard enough.

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

I regularly teach classes of 30+ pupils in which 15 or more could test the patience of Mother Theresa herself (at the times she wasn't being an old boot, that is).

The thought of hitting them never comes into my head, and nor would it if I was allowed to. And those aren't my own kids.

I've said this before on here, but when my oldest was younger I accidentally trapped her finger in a door. The look she gave me - fear, pain, misery - will stay with me until the day I die. And within 5 minutes she was playing away like nothing happened.

The thought of giving my kids that look of fear, pain and misery deliberately is absolutely barbaric.

Are you a teacher, who knew?

I'm pretty sure I was smacked very occasionally but I don't agree with it. It seems like a very lazy way of trying to instill discipline in a child.

Besides, surely it only teaches children that violence is an acceptable answer to certain types of behaviour?

7 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

My kids are safe and I have never put them in danger or harms way.

You did put them in harm's way if you smacked them as a child as a crude form of discipline. You don't actually get to determine the threshold of 'harm' just because you produced sprogs: the qualified authorities have now done so and you were wrong. 

Its this black and white ignorant point of view that you have that makes me think that you were never smacked as a child.

The fact that you recommend smacking to resolve contradictions to your thick beliefs suggests that you're not qualified to lecture on the merits of moderate corporal punishment. I'd wait for the 'pro-smacking ' lobby to call you to represent them, rather than the other way round tbh. 

3 hours ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

The trick is to install an element of fear with your children, if they are already petrified of you then there’s no need to smack them as they’ll always fall in line. 

I used this tactic, one look and they knew it could escalate. Very rarely would a smack to the arse be necessary. I've seen loads of kids being smacked and it seemed to me that the smacker got more out of it than the smackee 

The scaremongering, misinformation and right wing nonsense around this is going to be utterly hysterical - named person x100.

I'm not sure it will be. Most people appreciate that smacking is not the answer. However, I'll wait and see how it's implemented before saying it's a great idea.

"What if it was only a light physical assault"? 
Removing the ability for teachers to physically harm children  was a good thing.  Removing the ability for anyone - parent or otherwise - to physically strike a child is entirely sensible.  
Baffling to read some of the dinosaurs who feel this is still acceptable conduct

It's not quite the same thing. Teachers in the '70s regularly belted me on the hands, threw chalk dusters at me, etc. It wasn't just smacking. Doing that in a premeditated and methodical manner to a 7 year old seems slightly different.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

You're the only one on here whining about a lack of 'reasoned debate', so all the froth and seriousness lies with yourself. 

No whining, its not like I come on here for reasoned debate, just an observation. 

Interesting that those that are 'thinking of the children' are doing the name calling though.

I can confirm that no dogs were kicked on the walk either. Not this time anyway, mwah ha ha hah. 

59 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

So far people who agree with smacking their kids have been branded Scumbags, Dinosaurs and Child abusers on this thread by the people apposed to smacking their children. 

If those against it were smacked more as children then they may of turned out a bit more respectful of other peoples opinions instead of resorting to insults. If they were smacked, do you think your parent is a scumbag or child abuser? 

All I know is that its worked for my kids as they are polite, respectful, loyal and most importantly safe.

Change my pitch up

Smack my kids up

hqdefault.jpg