c***s on the road

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

For the first time ever, I phoned the police about a driver. I was following him on a 60 mph road and he moved over to drive on the right hand side of the road. A car coming the other way had to swerve onto my side of the road to avoid a head on crash. Gave me a moment, seeing that. Had he not swerved that would have been a head on collision, and at that speed.

Then he was driving like a madman, all over the road, speeding up, slowing down.

Got home, called 101, waited to get through...and got a row. I should have called 999 at the time. 

Have to agree with them if there was somewhere you could pull over if driving alone. "Just to let you know I saw a house on fire half an hour ago." 

Just to update, the police called me back. 

They tracked down the driver and gave him a talking to. They said he was a tourist who didn't know the rules of the road.

On reflection, that isn't particularly good! He was all over the place.

44 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Have to agree with them if there was somewhere you could pull over if driving alone. "Just to let you know I saw a house on fire half an hour ago." 

765ddae3481da7d3c84325798cdcb967.gif 

8 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

They tracked down the driver and gave him a talking to. They said he was a tourist who didn't know the rules of the road.

Aye when it’s someone he’ll bent on killing themself or others dial 999.

i had to do that when this guy was going 40 on the M74 but you could smell the wee about half a mile before you passed him. Ridiculous nick to be when driving on the motorway.

I thought it was fairly obvious that if someone’s driving in a way that’s likely to cause a horrendous accident you would phone 999 at the first opportunity.

12 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I thought it was fairly obvious that if someone’s driving in a way that’s likely to cause a horrendous accident you would phone 999 at the first opportunity.

In hindsight I should have done.

14 minutes ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

Hindsight. 

God’s/Humanity’s/Civilisation’s worst ever contribution to life. 

12 minutes ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

Or maybe it’s best. Works both ways I suppose. 

Time will tell.

16 hours ago, scottsdad said:

For the first time ever, I phoned the police about a driver. I was following him on a 60 mph road and he moved over to drive on the right hand side of the road. A car coming the other way had to swerve onto my side of the road to avoid a head on crash. Gave me a moment, seeing that. Had he not swerved that would have been a head on collision, and at that speed.

Then he was driving like a madman, all over the road, speeding up, slowing down.

Got home, called 101, waited to get through...and got a row. I should have called 999 at the time. 

14 hours ago, welshbairn said:

13 hours ago, The Master said:

765ddae3481da7d3c84325798cdcb967.gif 

13 hours ago, 101 said:

Aye when it’s someone he’ll bent on killing themself or others dial 999.

i had to do that when this guy was going 40 on the M74 but you could smell the wee about half a mile before you passed him. Ridiculous nick to be when driving on the motorway.

13 hours ago, eez-eh said:

So, as it turns out scottsdad was the c**t on the road if I'm reading this right.

On 12/07/2024 at 21:16, scottsdad said:

It's worryingly common, particularly on the A82, saw a video online the other day of a tourist on the gorge section of Glencoe on the wrong side of the road not for a short period of time either. If you come round one of the blind corners at that section with someone on the wrong side you've had it man. Hate driving that road in the summer now. 

On 12/07/2024 at 21:33, eez-eh said:

On 13/07/2024 at 10:57, hk blues said:

So, as it turns out scottsdad was the c**t on the road if I'm reading this right.

In fairness, they've spent years telling us we shouldn't call 999 unless we absolutely have to, (mainly because the services provided have been so drastically cut back), and have introduced 101 and 111 altetnatives, it's no surprise that folk are wary of calling 999 now.

9 hours ago, Shipa said:

In fairness, they've spent years telling us we shouldn't call 999 unless we absolutely have to, (mainly because the services provided have been so drastically cut back), and have introduced 101 and 111 altetnatives, it's no surprise that folk are wary of calling 999 now.

I wasn't actually being serious but, aye. 

On 19/05/2024 at 10:04, Sergeant Wilson said:

On Wednesday I was behind two women on horses. I slowed to a crawl as there wasn't room to pass. They moved to single file and the older woman started waving her arm about. I thought she was waving me on and crept level, half on the road and verge. Woman then goes apeshite and accuses me of trying to kill her and her horse. I stopped, apologised and tried to explain my misunderstanding. She was having none of it and continued her theme of horsicide and reminding me I was on camera.

She then points out a gateway, which she says I can pass at, but still not listening to my explanation.

Eventually got past with my ears ringing. I know I was in the wrong, but I was still a bit indignant at the rollicking I got. How was I to know how nervous she and her horse were, especially with her dubious hand signals.

PS

Police turned up today to follow up the complaint from the horse-woman. I explained as above. They'd seen the footage and could see that I probably was too close, but that mis-communication had contributed. There was a possible careless driving charge. Before doing so, they'd go back to the complainer, who, for her part, acknowledged her language left a lot to be desired. Called back a few hours later to say no further action.

I'm happy with the outcome, but what a waste of police time!