North Caledonian League Expansion

Robert James

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

He's implying B teams are fine in remote areas of the country to make up the numbers.  Which is horseshit.  You just have less teams in the league.

More accurately I don't care as they have little impact on me or the running of the league.

Nairn County 'A' have already folded. Rumours of the Caley Braves SoS folding.

Last time Clach had an NCL team they lasted 3 years. More likely that the 1st team is relegated to the NCL than the reserves still being around long term.

Stranraer reserves have folded numerous times over the years. As the 1st team flirt with their SPFL existence someone's going to count their pennies eventually I would have thought.

Stirling Uni end up back in the EoSFL their reserves fold. One league, one team.

If the clubs and committees that are actually running the leagues are willing to accept these teams. I'll not stop them. The pyramid plays itself out and they'll be gone eventually.

I would have thought Stranraer's SoS side to be fairly stable. They use a separate squad of players and unlike the 1st team, use local players - all of whom are amateurs. Especially using Stranraer Academy's facilities rather than Strair Park, I would imagine the costs are no more a challenge than for Wigtown to play.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Loch Ness game postponed on 12th Aug due to them playing in the Scottish Cup first prelim round

As an unlicensed tier 6 winner they "qualify" for the big Scottish... so off to Perthshire to play Luncarty that day who also qualified thanks to winning the Unlicensed Teams cups!

image.thumb.png.43b97274591f37a294a027848803dfc0.png

image.thumb.png.7bf67b0a07d2b869aa5d1e2ee1e32e35.png

Rare sighting of Fort William being top of a division. Clach-Saints saw all 8 goals in the second half with Clach being 4-1 down after 87 before a late late comeback.

Edited by GNU_Linux

Doing a trip to take in a game on 2nd Sept, got choice of games at Loch Ness, Inverness Athletic or Alness United. Any of the grounds scenic or particularly worth a visit, or any of the games likely to be belters ?

Also, getting my priorities straight, any of the grounds sell pies ?

7 minutes ago, highlandterrier said:

Doing a trip to take in a game on 2nd Sept, got choice of games at Loch Ness, Inverness Athletic or Alness United. Any of the grounds scenic or particularly worth a visit, or any of the games likely to be belters ?

Also, getting my priorities straight, any of the grounds sell pies ?

I'd say Loch Ness is the best option of those three. Fortrose is a lovely place and the nearby Union Tavern is a cracking boozer. North Kessock is also very scenic, Alness not so much. I doubt any of the three have will any catering at all, but you won't be far away from a bakery in any of the three places.

13 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I'd say Loch Ness is the best option of those three. Fortrose is a lovely place and the nearby Union Tavern is a cracking boozer. North Kessock is also very scenic, Alness not so much. I doubt any of the three have will any catering at all, but you won't be far away from a bakery in any of the three places.

Thanks, thought catering might be a long shot!  Seems to be a good walk along the river in Fortrose for the dog beforehand, and a wee bakery along the street so top of the list.

17 hours ago, highlandterrier said:

Thanks, thought catering might be a long shot!  Seems to be a good walk along the river in Fortrose for the dog beforehand, and a wee bakery along the street so top of the list.

I agree about Fortrose and the Union Tavern, they were doling out free soup and sandwiches when I was there, you could take the dog down to Chanonry Point and let him bark at dolphins if you're lucky. I prefer the pitch at North Kessock though, you'd probably have to stop at Harry Gows just off the A9 for pies on the way there, don't think there's anywhere nearby. Should be good games on at both Fortrose and North Kessock, Alness are playing Bonar Bridge which is likely to be very one sided.

17 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

And people wonder why there's an obesity epidemic.

51 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I agree about Fortrose and the Union Tavern, they were doling out free soup and sandwiches when I was there, you could take the dog down to Chanonry Point and let him bark at dolphins if you're lucky. I prefer the pitch at North Kessock though, you'd probably have to stop at Harry Gows just off the A9 for pies on the way there, don't think there's anywhere nearby. Should be good games on at both Fortrose and North Kessock, Alness are playing Bonar Bridge which is likely to be very one sided.

Thanks, especially for the tip on possibly seeing Flipper.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/09/2023 at 19:06, GNU_Linux said:

Promising signs for Bonar Bridge

Delighted and gutted in equal measures!

Tain Saints look to be in free fall recently too, either that or the rest of the league got their act together. It could be a very competitive season with about 4-5 teams capable of winning it. 

Was up at Bonar last week (insert pluggy plug to photo website here) and they are a much better looking side than last season, could cause some issues to the top 2 sides.

Tain's a strange team atm, have seen them twice so far, and they are not a bad side.......but also not a good one either.  Should have won the opening game after being 4-1 up but lost 3 goals in 10 mins against Clach 'A' and were wasteful in front of goal against Bonar

Elsewhere, Golspie got into the 1st round of the Scottish Cup, drawn at home against Forres Mechanics. (Less said about Fort William's game the better)