North Caledonian League Expansion

Robert James

According to Will Clark, Invergordon Manager Gary Campbell says that the NCL has to be brought to a conclusion, as he believes no further football can be played this season. He wants to see the NCL follow the same example as the other divisions (leagues) by crowning the league leaders as champions. He does not support the season being declared null and void.

(Extract from the Ross-shire Journal 24th April 2020)

Under the "points per game" system (used elsewhere) Invergordon would be declared champions.

Some photos from my visit to Broadford.

On 30/07/2019 at 21:02, Marten said:

Sleat and Strath 10-2 Portree, Skye and Lochalsh League
Ground itself is next to a primary school, but the backdrop is wonderful. Big difference in standard between the teams. Sleat and Strath played very decent football.

20190730_190907.jpeg20190730_195609.jpeg20190730_195937.jpeg

On 24/04/2020 at 08:29, AsimButtHitsASix said:

If it's a summer league they could quite easily keep their own league system separate from the pyramid and have a select team play in the NCL as Orkney do currently

There may not be a summer season if the lock down continues, or there is a second spike.

There is still time to put in an application to join the NCL for the 2020/21 winter, thereby testing the standard, and local interest.

Don't think the Skye league is of the same standard as it was about 20 years ago when Portree were reaching the latter stages of the Highland Amateur. The Skye teams don't tend to do much at all in the Highland Amateur now. Mallaig have won the title the last two years, their first two seasons in the league. And I've never heard anybody in Skye talk of aspiring to getting a team into the NCL etc. 

The pitch at Broadford is excellent but the old Sleat and Strath park at Kinloch was special in its own way. Forest on three sides and a burn on the other. And midges. 

Edited by Waspie

3 hours ago, Waspie said:

Don't think the Skye league is of the same standard as it was about 20 years ago when Portree were reaching the latter stages of the Highland Amateur. The Skye teams don't tend to do much at all in the Highland Amateur now. Mallaig have won the title the last two years, their first two seasons in the league. And I've never heard anybody in Skye talk of aspiring to getting a team into the NCL etc. 

The pitch at Broadford is excellent but the old Sleat and Strath park at Kinloch was special in its one way. Forest on three sides and a burn on the other. And midges. 

Brilliant.  Football and midges all on the same post !

Somebody told me that a club from Lochaber has applied to join the Inverness & District League for this summer.  Is this true, and if so, who ?

3 hours ago, Waspie said:

The pitch at Broadford is excellent but the old Sleat and Strath park at Kinloch was special in its one way. Forest on three sides and a burn on the other. And midges. 

Would’ve loved to see the old pitch down there. It’s an amazing little corner of the island that often gets forgotten about with how spectacular the north half is. Would this have been in the grounds of the Kinloch Lodge estate?

And don’t mention the midgies! They’re like flying rats down there 😳😂

1 hour ago, Spyro said:

Would’ve loved to see the old pitch down there. It’s an amazing little corner of the island that often gets forgotten about with how spectacular the north half is. Would this have been in the grounds of the Kinloch Lodge estate?

And don’t mention the midgies! They’re like flying rats down there 😳😂

Yeah, turn off the main road for Kinloch Lodge and there was a wee track up to the pitch. I played a few games for Sleat years ago and at that point they were planning to develop the pitch at Kinloch. In the end they went with Broadford. 

I remember one night the midges were so bad that training was cut short after a few minutes and everyone ran for the cars. And I mind a boy absolutely losing the plot and diving into a two footer and I'm convinced it was the cloud of midges around his head that provoked him. 

Screenshot_20200426_140523.thumb.jpg.79490c661da75357229a11bb24bf5128.jpg

A wee thought....

With the ERJFA declaring the season null and void and thus having no one participating in the senior Scottish cup next season more than likely.

Isn't this the time for the NCL clubs to push for their champions(when announced) rightful place in the Scottish cup next season and beyond?

Edited by Whitburn Vale

2 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

Aside from Thurso and Golspie swapping places, the table in terms of PPG doesn't change. Invergordon stay top.

100% CZ, Invergordon FC should be champions and should be playing in next season's Scottish Cup.

The NCL are keen to get into the pyramid and should be awarded a Scottish cup place for their champions,not just for licensed Golspie Sutherland .

1 minute ago, Whitburn Vale said:

100% CZ, Invergordon FC should be champions and should be playing in next season's Scottish Cup.

The NCL are keen to get into the pyramid and should be awarded a Scottish cup place for their champions,not just for licensed Golspie Sutherland .

I agree. NCL have always been positive about Tier 6, if they do come in next year, Invergordon should definitely be offered a spot.

28 minutes ago, Whitburn Vale said:

26 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

I agree. NCL have always been positive about Tier 6, if they do come in next year, Invergordon should definitely be offered a spot.

I couldn't have said it better myself regarding Invergordon.

Regarding the NCL next season, the return of Alness Utd is a huge positive.  Loch Ness is an established amateur club from Inverness , Scourie will be a welcomed  addition from an area with no NCL history (stunning part of Scotland), and Nairn Co 'Development'  deserve to be included, after playing in some of the Cup competitions.

Any idea when the NCL AGM is ?

Edited by Robert James
post sent in error before completed

3 hours ago, Robert James said:

Nairn Co 'Development'  deserve to be included, after playing in some of the Cup competitions.

What happens if they win the NCL when the pyramid is up and running? I've no problem with colt teams playing in regional cups, but not in the league system.

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

What happens if they win the NCL when the pyramid is up and running? I've no problem with colt teams playing in regional cups, but not in the league system.

Same as Stirling Uni and Stranraer Reserves I presume and would be classed as "non licensed" and no NCL team would enter the promotion play off.

13 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Same as Stirling Uni and Stranraer Reserves I presume and would be classed as "non licensed" and no NCL team would enter the promotion play off.

Aye, there's always a way. I just don't like the whole idea of "big team" youth squads being sent to play against first teams in a lower division. Nairn are probably fed up of being regularly pumped by Clach's youth team, hope the NCL tell them to GTF.

Edited by welshbairn

31 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Correct regarding Reserves or Colts teams.

Also Caledonian Braves Reserves in the SoSL.