North Caledonian League Expansion

Robert James

5 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

It will interesting to see how they handle promotion and relegation. The Highland League actually changed their constitution last summer making it easier for clubs to enter on the face of it. So it's not just a case of saying if Golspie Sutherland win the NCL at the moment.

They changed their membership criteria from:

image.png.206993d4d0aeafc61e471dcd18ca4730.png

To

image.png.2b91cddf328d0d8fd5b010b8d547beb9.png

No mention of floodlights or being an existing member of the SFA. The dream of a trip to Orkney for a Highland League game is on the cards :thumsup2

Doesn't the necessity  for SFA membership mean a floodlight requirement, though?

1 minute ago, rockson said:

Doesn't the necessity  for SFA membership mean a floodlight requirement, though?

For licencing which maybe what Full Members and Associate Members covers now. They're saying whatever Registered Membership applies to the club based on just joining the Highland League.

I very much doubt the Highland League would accept an applicant without floodlights or the plans in place for floodlights. However, they do seem to have considered the possibility of not having floodlights. Another example in the changes to the constitution to allow this can be found in the section relating to kick-off times.

2018-19

image.png.970c821197a9f702b53696e971771758.png

2019-20

image.png.8907fdb39611b92a886676dba3b5f8b2.png

10 hours ago, Whitburn Vale said:

Its happening,NCL could be under the HL as a tier 6 league as soon as the start of next season.

Yes it looks likely that the North Caledonian League will join the Highland  pyramid, as agreement (in principle) has been reached between the HFL and the NCL.. 

Rod Petrie has also signalled that there is unlikely to be any objection from the SFA, if the 2 northern leagues reach an agreement. The NCL is already regarded as a "senior" league, as stated on its website. Also, the league is not affiliated to the Scottish Amateur Football Association, and I understand that its clubs are not eligible to enter the Amateur Cup.

However, I am not sure if the North Caley becoming a pyramid league, requires formal 'ratification' by the SFA.  My assumption is that it probably does (?).  Does anyone know if this is the case ?

Regretfully, I have no up to date information (or rumours) as to whether the North Juniors, will or will not, join the pyramid alongside the NCL.

15 hours ago, Marten said:

Really? That's great news. Any movement with the NRJFA? The only issue I can think of is if a Grampian-based club gets relegated if only the NCL are underneath the HL.

Since the HL are currently, in effect, a team down, they may allow the first NCL champions (if eligible) to be promoted with no team relegated to even up the numbers.

19 minutes ago, highlandcowden said:

there was an interesting post in the "new kits" thread in the misc footy page-a tweet from loch ness showing their new kit for season 20/21.the wording of that suggests theyre going to be in the NCL imo

Looks like they're fired up for something anyway, a few new sponsors, coaching staff etc. 

https://www.facebook.com/www.GellionsLochNessFC/

4 hours ago, highlandcowden said:

there was an interesting post in the "new kits" thread in the misc footy page-a tweet from loch ness showing their new kit for season 20/21.the wording of that suggests theyre going to be in the NCL imo

The NCL membership of Loch Ness FC, should be confirmed at the North Caley's virtual AGM, next weekend.  

9 hours ago, Myles Offside said:

Since the HL are currently, in effect, a team down, they may allow the first NCL champions (if eligible) to be promoted with no team relegated to even up the numbers.

Probably not, as the SFA wants the Highland League to have a maximum of 16 clubs, in line with the Lowland League.

Had Brora Rangers been promoted to the SPFL, the objective of the two pyramid Tier 5 leagues, each having 16 clubs, would have been achieved for next season. In any event, the NCL decided to void 2019/20, hence no champion club was declared. 

Edited by Robert James
typo error

On 04/06/2020 at 16:12, ArabAuslander said:

NCL can become Tier 6 officially for 2020-21 but with no Promotion/Relegation until 2021-22 so the Champion club can at least receive a Scottish Cup Berth. Also gives the the North and Tayside Juniors a season to grow up and try and be convinced to do the same.

In case anyone missed it, Will Clark confirms in the Northern Times, that new club Scourie FC has submitted an application to join the NCL for 2020/21, which will be considered at its AGM next weekend. 

The nucleus of Scourie FC, will be drawn from Kinlochbervie AFC, who play in the North West Sutherland (summer) Amateur League.. Their Manager, Tony Richardson, is quoted as saying that it would be great for the north west highlands  to have a 'senior' club in the North Caledonian League. The level of support for football  in the area is good, as it is drawn from Scourie, Kinlochbervie, and from the other villages throughout this stunning area. 

Furthermore TR says, the club's players, are keen to test themselves at a higher (Tier 6 ?) level . 

20 hours ago, rockson said:

Looks like they anticipate having a second division at tier 6 because registered members can't play at tier 5 which is professional game board level. At the very least they are future proofing their rules with that possibility in mind.

2 hours ago, Robert James said:

In case anyone missed it, Will Clark confirms in the Northern Times, that new club Scourie FC has submitted an application to join the NCL for 2020/21, which will be considered at its AGM next weekend. 

The nucleus of Scourie FC, will be drawn from Kinlochbervie AFC, who play in the North West Sutherland (summer) Amateur League.. Their Manager, Tony Richardson, is quoted as saying that it would be great for the north west highlands  to have a 'senior' club in the North Caledonian League. The level of support for football  in the area is good, as it is drawn from Scourie, Kinlochbervie, and from the other villages throughout this stunning area. 

Furthermore TR says, the club's players, are keen to test themselves at a higher (Tier 6 ?) level . 

Needs a train line or ferry to gain access to the pyramid IMO, which taxpayers should be willing to supply.

2 hours ago, virginton said:

Needs a train line or ferry to gain access to the pyramid IMO, which taxpayers should be willing to supply.

The outcome of the upcoming court case should be that SPFL don't have to pay Hearts anything, but do have to pay for this.

18 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Have they ever actually been quoted saying this?

I don't think they've ever announced this as their preference. So long as the Highland and Lowland Leagues put up a candidate club for the playoff at the appropriate point of the season, I'm not sure they'd care how many clubs were in each division.

1 minute ago, Cyclizine said:

I don't think they've ever announced this as their preference. So long as the Highland and Lowland Leagues put up a candidate club for the playoff at the appropriate point of the season, I'm not sure they'd care how many clubs were in each division.

Only reason I can think of is to avoid the last minute panic to finish off the season in time for the play offs in a bad winter. But I haven't heard anyone say that.

32 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Have they ever actually been quoted saying this?

I've never seen it publicly said by anyone. Plus it all seems to date back to around the time theHighland League was signing up for the pyramid and the Lowland League being created.

EDIT:

Maybe its a pressure they're putting on themselves to get Fort William (and their fixture congestion) out the league :)

Edited by FairWeatherFan

13 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Looks like they're fired up for something anyway, a few new sponsors, coaching staff etc. 

https://www.facebook.com/www.GellionsLochNessFC/

6 minutes ago, highlandcowden said:

loch ness will surely need to improve some to be competitive in the NCL-saw them play and get pumped by one of the top Caithness sides in the Highland amateur cup last year and it was men against boys quite honestly

According to welshbairn's post,  Loch Ness are strengthening their coaching (and probably player recruitment), in readiness for the NCL challenge.