North Caledonian League Expansion

Robert James

41 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Loch Ness are now appointing coaching staff, so they must be very confident of gaining NCL admission

https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/sport/inverness-football-club-loch-ness-appoint-three-new-coaches-197626/

Very pleased to see the Loch Ness developments.

On 22/04/2020 at 11:26, Ginaro said:

New account it seems

Pleased to read the Alness Utd's official confirmation. They have been missed.  

In overall terms, I would expect all four applicants to join the NCL next season, assuming of course that the season goes ahead ?

If none of the existing clubs drop out, the North Caley will increase from  9 to 13 clubs, plus Lewis & Harris in some of the NCL cup competitions.  IMO, this may help the league's request for pyramid status (?)

7 hours ago, Thistle Scotland Europe said:

Maybe Skye could have a team in the League based in Portree?

The Skye and Lochalsh league has a decent standard, one Skye team they could be a decent addition to the NCL. I don't know if they'd want that though.

12 minutes ago, Marten said:

The Skye and Lochalsh league has a decent standard, one Skye team they could be a decent addition to the NCL. I don't know if they'd want that though.

If it's a summer league they could quite easily keep their own league system separate from the pyramid and have a select team play in the NCL as Orkney do currently

I’m sure Strath and Sleat play in the Highland Amateur Cup, decent team too. Don’t know if there’s an island rivalry that would stop them teaming up with Portree and the north teams on the Island though, or the teams on the Kyle

Edited by Spyro

41 minutes ago, Spyro said:

I’m sure Strath and Sleat play in the Highland Amateur Cup, decent team too. Don’t know if there’s an island rivalry that would stop them teaming up with Portree and the north teams on the Island though, or the teams on the Kyle

They're called Sleat and Strath. I've been there. They play at a ground just behind a primary school, the ground itself is really just an unenclosed pitch, but the views are wonderful. What I've seen from them I don't think they're any worse than some of the lower division junior and EOS Division 1 teams I've seen play.

Edited by Marten

8 minutes ago, Marten said:

They're called Sleat and Strath. I've been there. They play at a ground just behind a primary school, the ground itself is really just an unenclosed pitch, but the views are wonderful. What I've seen from them I don't think they're any worse than some of the lower division junior and EOS Division 1 teams I've seen play.

Thanks for that Marten, written off the top of my head and my memory is terrible! I’ve been up at the ground a couple of times but not when there’s been a game on. My mate played them in a game in Inverness and said they were a brilliant team so I reckon they could compete in the NCL if they had a little help and backing to make it happen. Although a ‘big’ team from that area with the cream of the local players, based in say Kyle or Kyleakin could definitely do a job in the NCL. Hopefully without causing too much of a negative effect on the current amateur setup they have

20 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

And yet they have never done so. Curious 

I spoke to a couple of Skye & Lochalsh club officials approx 3 years ago. Two separate responses from them , were

"travelling from Portree would be too onerous"  and from another, 

"my club wouldn't be strong enough to play in the North Caledonian League." 

I suggested possible entry into one or more of the North Caledonian Cups (like Lewis & Harris do), to 'test the water', but there was no interest.  Shame. 

Edited by Robert James
typo error

37 minutes ago, Robert James said:

I spoke to a couple of Skye & Lochalsh club officials approx 3 years ago. Two separate responses from them , and too expensivewere

"travelling from Portree would be too onerous"  and from another, 

"my club wouldn't be strong enough to play in the North Caledonian League." 

I suggested possible entry into one or more of the North Caledonian Cups (like Lewis & Harris do), to 'test the water', but there was no interest.  Shame. 

That’s a shame but I can understand the travel issues. Portree to Inverness by bus is around 3 hours and 120 each way. So playing Thurso, Halkirk, Orkney, etc. would need a massive amount of commitment and financial backing compared to what they are used to now

Glendale to Portree you can add another 90 minutes to the journeys.

TBF despite my reservations about Skye and Lewis/Harris playing in a national league their shinty teams do, including a variety of youth teams, men and women, in Skyes case

Edited by invergowrie arab

On 25/02/2019 at 10:09, Robert James said:

It was suggested that Skye might follow the lead of Harris & Lewis, and Shetland, by entering a team in one or more of the the North Caledonian Cup competitions, but nothing materialised as far as I am aware. 

Whilst on the subject of Skye and the NCL (Cups), "nothing materialised." during the last 14 months.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Surely Broadford would be the logical base for a Skye team for both home staff and away teams? It's not as if Portree is a sprawling megacity with a critical sports market.

Pairc an Laoch in Portree would make sense as having the best facilities but Sleat & Strath have a tidy enough wee ground

60826093_2311487785600211_1889805036377079808_n.jpg

11412438_850925878323083_5448956730849037769_n.jpg

1 minute ago, ArabAuslander said:

Would like to see there be an "islands cup" where Ams teams from every Island compete and the winner gets a Scottish Cup slot, like they have in France with sides from New Caledonia and such.

You could probably get to Paris quicker from Islay or Arran than to Stornoway