The Bah Humbug Thread

At my parent's house now and bored as f**k. My mum is watching utter shite on TV and there are no other TVs in the house. No pub here and no one around I could fire round to to hang out with.

There's no chat here, just shite TV. Was feeling bad about wanting to leave early but now I'm not. Looking at getting the Megabus back on Boxing Day because we're now staying over at my brother's tomorrow

29 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

At my parent's house now and bored as f**k. My mum is watching utter shite on TV and there are no other TVs in the house. No pub here and no one around I could fire round to to hang out with.

There's no chat here, just shite TV. Was feeling bad about wanting to leave early but now I'm not. Looking at getting the Megabus back on Boxing Day because we're now staying over at my brother's tomorrow

"If I can stick this for another hour, maybe this cùnt will f**k off."

old-woman-sitting-in-a-chair-watching-tv-B62MEG.jpg

I have had a shite year.

At the start of the year, my Dad started feeling worse and worse. He'd had COPD for a few years and got a series of really bad infections that nearly killed him.

In April, my Papa died. I'm 34 and until then I still had all four of my grandparents. He was the first one to go and I miss him like f**k. My Gran has since had to go into a home.

Ongoing issues trying to get my daughter into an appropriate school (she has autism).

Marital problems (caused by stress, that thankfully have been sorted).

An early miscarriage (about six weeks). Not planned but still saddening.

My Dad dying just last week.

A few other things as well. I could not feel less Christmassy if I tried. 2017 has been a shite year.

Edited by Gaz

22 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I have had a shite year.

At the start of the year, my Dad started feeling worse and worse. He'd had COPD for a few years and got a series of really bad infections that nearly killed him.

In April, my Papa died. I'm 34 and until then I still had all four of my grandparents. He was the first one to go and I miss him like f**k. My Gran has since had to go into a home.

Ongoing issues trying to get my daughter into an appropriate school (she has autism).

A few other things as well. I could not feel less Christmassy if I tried. 2016 has been a shite year.

And that's without mentioning Falkirk FC. My sympathies.

I have this still to come, I feel your pain.

Spent the last month organising a toy appeal for 1200 kids deemed by various projects/workers as "in need". Also raised funds for a Christmas party for kids in care/kinship care.

The donations and support we get from companies and the general public is amazing...could not do it without them.  Very humbling.

Then you have to reconcile the above with the fact you liased with an agency to pass on a brand new BMX to a kid only to find the dad has posted it on facebay the same day!

10 minutes ago, Sugar_Army said:

Spent the last month organising a toy appeal for 1200 kids deemed by various projects/workers as "in need". Also raised funds for a Christmas party for kids in care/kinship care.

The donations and support we get from companies and the general public is amazing...could not do it without them.  Very humbling.

Then you have to reconcile the above with the fact you liased with an agency to pass on a brand new BMX to a kid only to find the dad has posted it on facebay the same day!

Sorry, but didn't see why the ugly one should get the only present. Now they all get one and I get to go to the pub!

5 hours ago, Gaz said:

I have had a shite year.

A few other things as well. I could not feel less Christmassy if I tried. 2017 has been a shite year.

Can't say I've got much of the Christmas spirit myself but I'll just get up and see where the next 2 days take me.

I'm pretty sure the good or bad of the next 2 days will be decided by how my kids(grandkids will all be fine) handle their 1st Christmas without their mum, they've managed remarkably well so far but who knows what'll happen.

I don't hate Christmas, it's usually alright, but my parents have pushed away all of their family (i.e. my aunts and uncles) so I don't see them or cousins and that's a bit shit. No grandparents either. Just me and one of my brothers & the parents - the other brother does his own thing with his wife + family.

Last year I went to my girlfriend's for Christmas (which caused world war 3) which was mainly for the above reasons and I had a really good time. Lovely family and her little brothers still 'believed' which was endearing. I split up with her in August though so now I'm bitterly reminded of last Christmas and feeling a bit down about it. I'm also excruciatingly hungover which isn't helping.

38 minutes ago, Sugar_Army said:

Fair play to you mate, that last sentence must make you want to track down the p***k and dish out a leathering though. 1199 out of 1200 happy kids is still a great thing to do. 

59 minutes ago, Sugar_Army said:

Just tell yourself he's selling it to get the kid his dream toy.

I have to be realistic about it.  

When we get the referrals in we offer the option of free support regarding how to maximise incomes/reduce debts access to foodbanks etc in the hope that come next Christmas the family will not be in the same predicament.  Unfortunately many we come accross are too busy living day to day as opposed to looking long term.

We try to leave the handing over of the gifts until the last possible moment to avoid them being sold in pubs etc.  We also know that most will probably have the "From Santa" tag switched...but as long as the kid gets it then I am OK with that.

I think this one got to me because...

My boss had previously deemed this particular family as not really "in need". We did not know who was going to be getting the bike...it came out of a phone call between my boss and worker and it was only to be given to a family that would definitely use it.  When she saw it on facebay it was only then she realised who the project had given it to.

It did not help that another project called a minute after it was taken as they were working with a child who had been in a car crash in which their mother had been killed.

My boss contacted the person via Facebook saying it had been donated to our toy appeal and that if the gift was not suitable we could pick it up and donate it to a family in need rather than it being sold for profit...her post was deleted.

Edited by Sugar_Army