P&B Readers' Birds

BFTD

36 minutes ago, IsaacBrown said:

I had a Cockatiel for over a year but sadly, he passed away recently. Birds are great pets, loving and funny.

Was it second hand or were you just unlucky? They can live 10-12 years usually.

I think saying "birds are great pets" is a bit of a generalisation. I don't imagine a golden eagle would make for a great companion with their razor sharp beaks and talons. Having a penguin pottering about your house would be quite cool though. 

1 hour ago, Dee Man said:

I think saying "birds are great pets" is a bit of a generalisation. I don't imagine a golden eagle would make for a great companion with their razor sharp beaks and talons. Having a penguin pottering about your house would be quite cool though. 

Anyone of my generation who can remember from their childhood the tales of Arabella's raven Mortimer might consider the merits of a pet corvid.

6 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

A bit like myself.

"Cut the green bits off and it'll be fine..."

You'd go some to beat a marabou though - they'll eat old clothes and even bits of metal at town dumps. And dung. They're big on dung.

ETA - Suppose it's a hot meal for them.

Edited by Hillonearth

4 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

"Cut the green bits off and it'll be fine..."

You'd go some to beat a marabou though - they'll eat old clothes and even bits of metal at town dumps. And dung. They're big on dung.

ETA - Suppose it's a hot meal for them.

Not as bad as sarge then.

We have somehow inherited two parakeets from a deceased member of husband's family. They're cute enough but they seem to think that they're oyster catchers as they go off their nuts when they hear one fly over.  

Thanks to everyone who was so nice on here, BTW. Three years in November he'll have been away.

We buried him in the back yard and I'm away out to varnish the fence this afternoon; always a bit weird knowing that he's six foot underneath me when I'm out there. Despite having a bit of an antagonistic relationship, I do miss the wee b*****d, especially when I'm playing music and expect to hear angry screeching until I put his favourite Brutal Truth album on. Some boy.