EOS Grounds for Optimism

Posted (edited)
On 29/02/2024 at 01:13, Bundesliga Boy said:

You've knocked the wind (and any optimism I had) right out my sails.  😞

Stoneyburn FC's £115k pitch 'ready in June' with 'free' offer to local groups - Daily Record

Stoneyburn FC hope to have a new £115,000 3G nine-a-side pitch behind their ground in place by the end of June that will be free to all community groups.

0_AMR_HAM_STONEYBURN_01jpeg.jpg

Committee member Alan Watson reckons the mental health boost to the West Lothian village will be huge, since RAAC has forced closure of the community centre. Watson says Stoneyburn last had a five-a-side synthetic surface laid at their Beechwood Park ground 27 years ago, which has long since been out of bounds for safety reasons. But funding from groups including the Scottish FA, Leavenseat Trust and West Lothian Development Trust means construction work on the surface behind their 11-a-side grass pitch can begin in March.

Watson says both schools, the nursery, MOOD mental health group and any other community organisation would be able to use the pitch for free. Other groups, or recreational things like five-a-side teams, will have to hire the pitch, but Watson says they will charge less than any other facility in surrounding areas.

Edited by HibeeJibee

4 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Stoneyburn FC's £115k pitch 'ready in June' with 'free' offer to local groups - Daily Record

Stoneyburn FC hope to have a new £115,000 3G nine-a-side pitch behind their ground in place by the end of June that will be free to all community groups.

0_AMR_HAM_STONEYBURN_01jpeg.jpg

Committee member Alan Watson reckons the mental health boost to the West Lothian village will be huge, since RAAC has forced closure of the community centre. Watson says Stoneyburn last had a five-a-side synthetic surface laid at their Beechwood Park ground 27 years ago, which has long since been out of bounds for safety reasons. But funding from groups including the Scottish FA, Leavenseat Trust and West Lothian Development Trust means construction work on the surface behind their 11-a-side grass pitch can begin in March.

Watson says both schools, the nursery, MOOD mental health group and any other community organisation would be able to use the pitch for free. Other groups, or recreational things like five-a-side teams, will have to hire the pitch, but Watson says they will charge less than any other facility in surrounding areas.

Brilliant to see a venture such as this that will benefit the entire community, particularly with some of these listed very worthy groups getting access for free.

• 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

First time in Meggetland tonight.

What a set up, the way Petershill Park should look like.

Pity they never played Rugby in Springburn.

Yeah it’s a great place to watch a match. Like being able to stand on the terracing opposite the stand, or high up behind the goal at the clubhouse end.  

23 hours ago, Cowdenleith said:

Yeah it’s a great place to watch a match. Like being able to stand on the terracing opposite the stand, or high up behind the goal at the clubhouse end.  

If it had cover on the terrace opposite the stand it might be my favourite ground in non-league anywhere in the country. There are grounds with more history, atmosphere and romance, and much better places to reach by public transport. But as a place to sit or stand and watch a game with a crowd of a few hundred it's close to perfect.

6 minutes ago, GordonS said:

If it had cover on the terrace opposite the stand it might be my favourite ground in non-league anywhere in the country. There are grounds with more history, atmosphere and romance, and much better places to reach by public transport. But as a place to sit or stand and watch a game with a crowd of a few hundred it's close to perfect.

Sadly there's rarely a few hundred there, 50 last night I think.  Fairly soulless place when virtually empty, like most grounds.  Not sure how Tynecastle sustain the level they're at.

40 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Sadly there's rarely a few hundred there, 50 last night I think.  Fairly soulless place when virtually empty, like most grounds.  Not sure how Tynecastle sustain the level they're at.

Yeah, Tynecastle are another club at that level that you wonder both how they manage it, but also why. It’s very possible that most of those there were linked to the players. 

1 hour ago, Burnieman said:

I've only ever been for Linlithgow Rose games and I saw their Scottish Cup tie against Shortlees which, between the goons associated with the away side and anoraks like me, had a reasonable attendance.

They deserve bigger crowds, they're a good team. If I was local I'd rather follow them than any of the other clubs in west and south Edinburgh.

8 hours ago, Burnieman said:

Not sure how Tynecastle sustain the level they're at.

7 hours ago, Cowdenleith said:

Yeah, Tynecastle are another club at that level that you wonder both how they manage it, but also why. It’s very possible that most of those there were linked to the players. 

Didn’t they get a fair few quid for Craig Gordon years ago when Hearts sold him to Sunderland?

Haven't they ran successful youth teams for years? 

Not many fans as quoted but a wee bit income there. 

On 01/05/2024 at 22:20, Burnieman said:

I think it’s a big well done to the guys and gals that keep them going. No doubt a lot of hard work, a few sleepless nights and also the continued difficulty trying to generate income. 
Or of course it could be that the regular 50 or so attendees are very sympathetic and generous in their financial support of the club.  Which would be unusual 

13 hours ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Making good use of that bus pass I see. 😜😜

Whit's wi the red dot brother, just a bit of light hearted banter between mates. 😇😇

Didn't think you were one to take offence. 🤔

Will keep it convivial in future. 🤐

Mrs says I never know when to stop. 😳

Seriouy though I am impressed with the diversity of the games you attend, very much to my way of thinking. Just love watching live  football. 👍

10 minutes ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Whit's wi the red dot brother, just a bit of light hearted banter between mates. 😇😇

Didn't think you were one to take offence. 🤔

Will keep it convivial in future. 🤐

Mrs says I never know when to stop. 😳

Seriouy though I am impressed with the diversity of the games you attend, very much to my way of thinking. Just love watching live  football. 👍

Calm it, Janet.

Ah pressed the wrang button.

You know when you press it and you don't know if you posted so you press it 58 times.

And 5 hours later you realise you're coming across like someone doing a 15 year stretch in Shotts.

That's the Prison no the fitba ground.

9 hours ago, PossilYM said:

Calm it, Janet.

Ah pressed the wrang button.

You know when you press it and you don't know if you posted so you press it 58 times.

And 5 hours later you realise you're coming across like someone doing a 15 year stretch in Shotts.

That's the Prison no the fitba ground.

I call them my 'senior moments'. 

And the frequency is only increasing. (wee old man emoji, but can't find one).

1 hour ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Maybees I do but then again maybees I don't, but seeing as in some places down here we only get the proverbial once a fortnight bus, not really much use for it.🤔

It can work in your favour though.

"Why are you away all day in Eg Cambuslang/Viewpark?

It's the bus times dear, I can't help it."

• 2 weeks later...
441178101_821790763327512_86554578550601

Newtown Park Association (NPA) have taken another huge step forward in their bid to establish a £3m community hub at Newtown Park.
The NPA have finally submitted their planning application to Falkirk Council, hoping that they will get the green light to move forward with their ambitious proposals.

It was back in 2018 that the NPA started to pull together the brief for the hub and set the ball rolling with the initial surveys, consultations, reports and advice. However, Covid slowed down the process with the delays only adding to the overall cost of the project. Earlier this year the NPA applied to the Community Choices Capital Grant Fund for the sum of £44671, the sum needed to cover the cost of presenting the architectural drawings to Falkirk Council for planning consent. The NPA were successful in their grant bid thanks to the support of the public of Bo’ness who were asked to vote for the community project they deemed most worthy.

Following on from taking Newtown Park into community ownership from Falkirk Council, the NPA are looking to expand on the existing facilities — with its recently upgraded 3G pitch — to grow their community beyond sport and create inclusive and flexible spaces for all people and all ages in the wider Bo’ness community.

Robert Snedden, chairman of the NPA, said: “The modernisation of Newtown Park has proved to be a huge success and the ground is being utilised seven days a week by all ages from age six years through to senior adults, both male and female. “Following on from this success, the NPA now wish to proceed with phase two of the project which is the creation of a community hub within the stadium grounds. “NPA are now fully focused and committed to delivering the hub. “It will serve an area of the the town which currently has no facilities that cater for the needs of the community in the densely populated areas of Newtown, Maiden Park, and Deanfield as well as the new residential areas being created at the southern extremities of the town.” He added: “At a time when the population of Bo'ness continues to grow, and with several new housing developments in progress as well as others others in the pipeline, and with Falkirk Council seeking to reduce recreational facilities, it is more crucial than ever that the Community Hub at Newtown Park goes ahead.”

NPA’s vision is to provide an inclusive destination that offers facilities and services that will improve its community and enhance the lives of the people who live in Bo'ness. Newtown Park Stadium has a fantastic history and by transforming it into a community resource, the NPA are aiming to ensure that its future will continue this legacy. The site for development is within the boundary of Newtown Park Stadium, re-purposing a narrow strip to the west of the site for the use of the community.

The proposal is in close proximity to Kinneil Primary School and — having reached out to the Parent Council and acting head teacher — the NPA are keen to form a partnership moving forward.

The proposed hub can be broken down into three key elements: the public square, community spaces, and shared spaces. The public square on Jamieson Avenue will support both the hub and school, and offer a place to gather for parents and children, which could ease the busy school drop-off /pick up times. The community element comprises a multi-function hall, flexible spaces, and cafe, while the shared spaces centre around supporting the pitch with changing facilities for professional and amateur players and are accessed directly from the pitch side.

To engage with the wider community, NPA hosted a consultation event in February. The event was attended by local residents, and representatives from Kinneil Primary School, Bo’ness United Football Club, and Bo’ness Rugby Club. Attendees completed surveys about facilities in Bo’ness and the proposed hub, and offered suggestions of what they would like to see. Discussions with school staff centred around how they use the green space adjacent to the proposal, and concerns about overlooking when both are in use. Many felt frustrated by the closure of the Recreation Centre and were concerned about the limited community space in Bo’ness, issues which the establishment of a hub would help to address.

Should the planning application be successful, the NPA will seek the estimated £3m needed to complete the project from a variety of funders.
The timescale for completion of the hub is dependent upon having all consents and getting the funding, and is estimated to be between 12-24 months. The actual construction process from start to handover is programmed to be between 12-18 months.