Relegation Threatened Thistle vs Moultless Motherwell

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Desp said:

Tempted to drive through to this. Is parking available nearby?

I haven't been to Firhill since Gerry Britton scored a double in a 3-0 home win, circa 2003.

Any time I've been lazy and taken the car round I've tended just to park off Maryhill Road and it's about a 5 min or so walk from there.

Thistle were easily the worst side I have seen us play do far this season when they were at Fir Park in September and we really should be looking to beat them here but without Moult we struggle badly and his absence seems to affect Bowman too. At the back we are very suspect at the moment and if Hartley is still out that is another huge blow here. 

I'm struggling to muster any motivation to speculate on team selection when there's been absolutely zero indication that the gaping hole in the middle of the park is about to be plugged any time soon. The young laddie Campbell ran over the top of the dire duo of Barton and Edwards in the first fixture, and I've got no doubts will do so again if up against them on Wednesday.

Keown could do with a spell on the bench. I've never taken to Turnbull but I think we've been asking him to play in a variety of positions that he's not particularly used to, i.e. in a three and at left back - but due to injuries and some pretty woeful recruitment, we have no option but to continue with a system that is patently not working. 

Irrespective of Moult's absence, Frear and Cadden could have a field day against a wing-back pairing of McGinn (whose nomination for consecutive Player of the Month awards left me utterly bewildered and is probably reflective of how shite we are) and potentially Lawless. 

Tempted to drive through to this. Is parking available nearby?

I haven't been to Firhill since Gerry Britton scored a double in a 3-0 home win, circa 2003.

Assuming you’re coming from Motherwell area, best place to park is Garscube Road facing town or in Oakbank Industrial Estate.

You’ll be back on the motorway in no time after the game.

47 minutes ago, MJC said:

Thistle were easily the worst side I have seen us play do far this season when they were at Fir Park in September and we really should be looking to beat them here but without Moult we struggle badly and his absence seems to affect Bowman too. At the back we are very suspect at the moment and if Hartley is still out that is another huge blow here. 

Are we?

There's no doubt we've conceded some cheap goals recently even with Hartley in the side I'm not sure I'd go as far as to say we're any more suspect than 75% of the sides in the league. Overlooking the Celtic 5-1 where it was 3-1 with 5 mins to go and the team dead on their feet the only game that really stands out is the County fixture up in Dingwall where we conceded 3 poor goals. Prior to that the last game we conceded more than 1 goal in a game was back in mid-September at Easter Road.

Our last 6 league results have been:

Hearts 1 - 0 Motherwell
Celtic 5 - 1 Motherwell
Motherwell 1 - 1 Celtic
Aberdeen 0 - 2 Motherwell
Ross County 3 - 2 Motherwell
Motherwell 0 - 1 Hibernian

You can definitely point to mistakes, Kipré against Hibs at FP being the obvious one and there are signs of a slump there but the issue for me is more that we've struggled to break teams down. Where we were creating and converting chances earlier in the season we seem to have struggled to create clear chances lately. We've only failed to score in 3 league games this season and all 3 we lost 1-0 (Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts). If Thistle nick the first goal then try and shitfest then I wouldn't back us to break them down just now.

Going by Robinson's pre-match the injury situation is:

Carson - touch and go, he's had an injection
Hartley - out
Cadden - better than initially thought but out for Wednesday
Fisher - fine but unavailable due to concussion protocol (fair enough)
Plummer - out
Newell - back in training
Moult - out

Based on that I'd have thought we'd be looking at:

Griffiths
Kipré McHugh Dunne
Tait Campbell Bigirimana Rose Frear
Tanner Bowman

Maybe Grimshaw instead of Bigi, it depends on what Robinson wants to do with the midfield I guess.

Can’t see us keeping a clean sheet without Carson/Hartley, can’t see us scoring more than 1 without Cadden/Moult.

Would love to be proved wrong but I don’t see us getting more than a draw here at best and given our recent record at Firhill and the players we have out, I wouldn’t be surprised to see another narrow defeat.

On 11/12/2017 at 18:40, Fuctifano said:

Yeah, just drive in to the gap between Keown and Devin and there'll be plenty of space in our 18 yard box.

Either that or park on Garscube road facing towards the motorway and it should be a pretty quick hop back onto the M74.

Preferably a bus. Thanks.

Unlikely to make this due to work and less inclined anyway having developed the plague this week. But I can definitely see one of those odd Thistle wins where we've been so shit previously it's laughable and all of a sudden pop up with a convincing win and everyone is happy again. 

2-0 Thistle, Dools hattrick. HWFG. 

There is no way this is coming back to bite me...

I'm not confident going to Firhill when we're playing well (these games seem to massively go the way of the home team for some reason), never mind when we hit a rough patch - so I'm heading along tonight more in hope than anything else. That excellent 5-1 pumping we handed out a few years back was one of the only times I remember walking away happy but it's far outweighed by utter stinkers.

Bigirimana  was the signing over the summer that I was most pleased with - but due to a lack of game time (with some pretty poor efforts when he has started) - and a nagging feeling that he doesn't fit into the style of play we have adopted - he simply hasn't done himself justice yet. Thistle have one of the least physical (poorest?) midfields in the league as far as I can see and so I'd like to think that he'll get a bit of space tonight and he's at the point where he needs to boss a game or he's going to be surplus to requirements. Other than that, thisGraeme is spot on, we really need Frear to step up and force his way into our starting 11 again - and tonight has to be a decent game for him. The reason that these two are important is that the turgid, miserable effort on Saturday shows that if our more creative players don't do it, we could literally play all day without looking like scoring and that is my biggest fear tonight.

Normally, it's nice to say that Thistle are in a false position or whatever - but honestly, they have been the poorest side on the day that we've played this season IMO and we really should aspire to taking something tonight - but - sad as I am to predict it, I think 1-0 Thistle....

Archived