The Outlaw King

Silvio Tattiescone

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It stuck so-ooo close to the history then wandered away from it at the end. 

Favourite bits -

Spoiler

Unknown extra at Methven Woods facing up to the charging English with a heartfelt "'mon then ya basturts!"

Spoiler

Lord of the Isles' wife running  joyfully to be reunited with her husband then greeting him with "Where the f**k have you been?" and slapping him

1 hour ago, Gianfranco said:

The guy that played Douglas was the star of the show for me in terms of laughter. I would have liked a few more memorable lines but overall a very enjoyable film.

ETA the breasties were very nice.

My Mrs said that he was the main fella in KickAss.

Breasts were indeed lovely.

As for Still Game characters, I only recognised the "we'll finish these off then go for a wee tug" bloke.

7 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Watching it now. Initial thoughts are that it all seems a bit rushed. Should have been a 3 hour film, or possibly even a trilogy of 2 hour films, but it’s one 2 hour film.

Kinda agree about the trilogy

Part I from Falkirk to Loudon Hill

Part II from Loudon Hill to Edward Bruce besieging Stirling

Part III Bannockburn 

Kinda agree about the trilogy
Part I from Falkirk to Loudon Hill
Part II from Loudon Hill to Edward Bruce besieging Stirling
Part III Bannockburn 
Or even a mini series with 6 or 8 episodes.

Do spoilers even work on mobile version? I would like to post my thoughts and I see everyone’s spoilers instantly...
Spoilers don't work on mobile so it's good practice to warn folk in your post :)

Brilliant film. I loved it. I was worried I was going to feel disappointed because I have been hyped all year for this film.

The ending was rushed, as others have said there was no need for that certain scene after the battle.

Braveheart was better for the patter but the acting, accents and story was much more on point.

Wee history lesson on Marjory Bruce, closer to home than i ever realised. https://www.paisley.org.uk/2016/06/marjory-bruce/ Always wondered what that weird shaped thing was in Gallowhill.

It was a decent enough film but unless they are planning a second one then I’m a bit confused. His most famous victory is Bannockburn so you would hope there’ll be a Bruce II.
Aye, me and the other half paused it and realised it only had 30 minutes left and there hadn't been a proper battle yet, we assumed that was Bannockburn, then we were chatting about Stirling bridge but then it dawned on us that was William Wallace and it happened several years earlier.

Would love a second film but they seemed to wrap it up pretty quick, can't see it happening with the way they ended it.

Major screw up if you think about it.

1 hour ago, NewBornBairn said:

What was the Red Dragon stuff about?

Spoiler

English knights didn’t have to follow rules of chivalry so could do what they liked to force the population to give up Bruce.

Spoilers don't work on mobile so it's good practice to warn folk in your post [emoji4]

Message received my brother.

SPOILER ALERT

Watched this with a few drams. Thought the film was very well shot, some great scenes. Elizabeth is a dirty, big love to her. Thought the ending with Edwards son was predictable,
Slightly shite but we knew it was coming.

Bit rushed but all in all, a fine film that makes me hate England X

One wee thing I found interesting about the filming: all of the interior shots of Bruce's castle - the wedding reception, various meetings full of meaningful glances, etc - were filmed in the old Motorola factory in Bathgate, parts of which are now used as a studio. As realistic as it looks, all the walls are plaster or plastic. It's the same room that was used in Trainspotting 2 for the 'no more Catholics' scene.

Archived