How long have you got?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jesus, this has opened a whole can of worms. Best of health in 2018 to our walking wounded.

I can't imagine seeing retirement age personally, but I'm OK with that. The family's covered reasonably for when I kick off, and I'm looking forward to not having to wake up again TBH.

COPD can be managed but not cured, as far as I understand. The best you can hope for is not to get (much) worse than you currently are. I've 47% capacity in each lung, and the last three times I was at the COPD clinic I was offered/told I required oxygen. I declined, but I think it may be necessary shortly.

ETA: I was a family funeral on 23rd, COPD was the cause of death. I got frozen in the church (the hall was much warmer for the post funeral eats), and then I got frozen when I returned to work that evening. I took a chest infection and haven't been out of the house since, today is the first day I haven't felt like death warmed up.

12 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Jesus, this has opened a whole can of worms. Best of health in 2018 to our walking wounded.

I can't imagine seeing retirement age personally, but I'm OK with that. The family's covered reasonably for when I kick off, and I'm looking forward to not having to wake up again TBH.

Don't know how old you are or how serious you are, but why anyone wouldn't want to reach retirement is beyond me.

The joy of having young(er) people condemn you as a parasite for getting one of the worst state pensions for an industrialised country is motivation enough to stick around.

13 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

COPD can be managed but not cured, as far as I understand. The best you can hope for is not to get (much) worse than you currently are. I've 47% capacity in each lung, and the last three times I was at the COPD clinic I was offered/told I required oxygen. I declined, but I think it may be necessary shortly.

ETA: I was a family funeral on 23rd, COPD was the cause of death. I got frozen in the church (the hall was much warmer for the post funeral eats), and then I got frozen when I returned to work that evening. I took a chest infection and haven't been out of the house since, today is the first day I haven't felt like death warmed up.

It's progressive, my Dad was at something like 15% lung capacity towards the end. He had an operation a couple of years ago that put some valves in one of his lungs that raised him to about 35% but that was only ever going to be temporary.

Pretty much the only hope of a 'cure' is a lung transplant, but a lot of folk with COPD aren't considered "ill" enough to receive one. And as soon as the C word was mentioned with my Dad, that was any hope of a transplant taken away.

Can I asked what caused yours? Were you a smoker, did you work in dusty atmospheres, or a bit of both? Or something else?

10 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Don't know how old you are or how serious you are, but why anyone wouldn't want to reach retirement is beyond me.

The joy of having young(er) people condemn you as a parasite for getting one of the worst state pensions for an industrialised country is motivation enough to stick around.

He didn't say he didn't want to reach retirement age - he said he couldn't see him making it. There's a difference. 

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

He didn't say he didn't want to reach retirement age - he said he couldn't see him making it. There's a difference. 

If he has a debilitating disease there's a difference; maybe he has and I'm unaware of it.

If he can make lifestyle choices that means he has every chance of reaching retirement then that's a completely seerate matter.

4 hours ago, Gaz said:

It's progressive, my Dad was at something like 15% lung capacity towards the end. He had an operation a couple of years ago that put some valves in one of his lungs that raised him to about 35% but that was only ever going to be temporary.

Pretty much the only hope of a 'cure' is a lung transplant, but a lot of folk with COPD aren't considered "ill" enough to receive one. And as soon as the C word was mentioned with my Dad, that was any hope of a transplant taken away.

Can I asked what caused yours? Were you a smoker, did you work in dusty atmospheres, or a bit of both? Or something else?

Smoked for 35 years. I also lived in a flat that had storage heating, fibres from the insulation may have contributed to it, but nobody has mentioned that aspect (probably because I never raised it, I was told my emphysema was caused by smoking, which seems a reasonable diagnosis).

ETA: I'm involved in the construction industry, but I couldn't blame it on dust from cement bags, plaster bags, fibres from plasterboard being cut, pc flags being cut, paint fumes etc. I would have had a very slight exposure to that, but not anything like a tradesman/labourer would have had. Paricularly prior to H&S days. Looking back on it, conditions on building sites were absolutely brutal.

29 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

If he has a debilitating disease there's a difference; maybe he has and I'm unaware of it.

If he can make lifestyle choices that means he has every chance of reaching retirement then that's a completely seerate matter.

There are some illnesses diseases that mean making any amount of lifestyle choices isn't going to help. The damage has already been done.

29 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Smoked for 35 years. I also lived in a flat that had storage heating, fibres from the insulation may have contributed to it, but nobody has mentioned that aspect (probably because I never raised it, I was told my emphysema was caused by smoking, which seems a reasonable diagnosis).

Cheers for that. Do you think a transplant could ever be on the cards?

2 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Cheers for that. Do you think a transplant could ever be on the cards?

I wouldn't imagine a 65 year old ex-smoker would be high on the transplant list priority, no.

12 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I wouldn't imagine a 65 year old ex-smoker would be high on the transplant list priority, no.

Yeah, I guess :(

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

I'm just not that fussed about making it to old age. No doubt that'll change as the likelihood of death increases, just like I'll probably find religion, like everybody seems to do. I don't think so, though.

I'll be surprised if the state pension still exists in thirty years, Granny. Plus, I think the youngsters may be trying to wind you up.

I was a smoker for over 30 years started when I was 15 I stopped 2 years ago. About 3 years ago I was still playing football for the works team.a year ago I had to leave work i was that bad haven' worked since. My last lung function test i had 18%  lung function so not great for a guy just turned 49 

26 minutes ago, wellinwigan said:

I was a smoker for over 30 years started when I was 15 I stopped 2 years ago. About 3 years ago I was still playing football for the works team.a year ago I had to leave work i was that bad haven' worked since. My last lung function test i had 18%  lung function so not great for a guy just turned 49 

My condolences. What size are your slippers?

Sorry to read the stories about those who have suffered - or are suffering - from COPD. My dad was diagnosed with IPF a few months ago, which I hadn't even heard of until he informed me of his diagnosis. Not pleasant. 

If I make it to 70 I’ll be happy.

Suffer from asthma, and with spending my early years working on a building site I’m concerned I’ll end up with COPD.

Combine that with my families heart problems I’ll either choke to death or suffer a heart attack in my sleep.

Great.

10 hours ago, wellinwigan said:

That's horrendous - I've gone down from nearly 60% to my current 47% which I've been holding at for the last 4 or so years. Even at that, I'm totally knackered, takes me all my time walking up the hill, I have to tell the youngsters to wait for Granda once they get to the top before crossing on over up to our house. (Not that there's any traffic, but better safe than sorry.)

Leaving out the bins and I'm peching and panting, can't carry in a bag of spuds anymore, or a bag of coal.

Archived