Scotland Centre Backs

16 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

David Bates has given away a penalty on his Cercle Brugge debut (or are we only doing positive stuff?)

I think the fact he's making his debut is clearly a positive itself. Nice snark though.

In the past Souttar and Porteous have expressed an interest in playing abroad.

Imagine we could have Bates, Porteous, Souttar, Hendry, Johnson and Hickey all playing abroad, with Morrison coming through at Bayern.  Also Caulker if he was picked up by us.

Good education for young defenders, not all of them will make it for Scotland like Hendry and maybe Bates but they'll learn more than they would at Preston or Aberdeen.

24 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

How's about we just report the good and the bad and stop being absolutist tools?

Mine was good and bad. It's good that he's making his debut for a bottom-half Belgian team after having gone over a year without being anywhere near the squad for Sheffield Wednesday in the English second tier and being made surplus to requirements by Hamburg in the German second tier. It's bad that he has given away a penalty within about half an hour of that debut.

40 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Mine was good and bad. It's good that he's making his debut for a bottom-half Belgian team after having gone over a year without being anywhere near the squad for Sheffield Wednesday in the English second tier and being made surplus to requirements by Hamburg in the German second tier. It's bad that he has given away a penalty within about half an hour of that debut.

1 Bates had a long term injury at Sheff Wed

2 Bates is not playing 2nd tier Belgium football he is playing top flight

3 Hamburg hasn't put him up for sale dispute paper talk

4 Bates has cost us less goals than MacKenna

Bates was out injured for about two months at Sheffield Wednesday. As far as I can tell, he was fit from November until the end of the season, he certainly played plenty of games for their U23 team in that period. Two and three are things I didn't say, but clearly Hamburg don't want him as evidenced by the fact he's been launched out on loan for two consecutive seasons now. Bates has also cost us fewer goals than Alex McLeish, Colin Hendry or David Weir, the main reason being that he only has four caps (four too many) all of which were against teams who Scotland should be much better than.

Bates was out injured for about two months at Sheffield Wednesday. As far as I can tell, he was fit from November until the end of the season, he certainly played plenty of games for their U23 team in that period. Two and three are things I didn't say, but clearly Hamburg don't want him as evidenced by the fact he's been launched out on loan for two consecutive seasons now. Bates has also cost us fewer goals than Alex McLeish, Colin Hendry or David Weir, the main reason being that he only has four caps (four too many) all of which were against teams who Scotland should be much better than.
That's the crux of this: you don't rate Bates. Which is fine. But you are coming across as if someone else posted how great it was that he'd made his Bruges debut without mentioning the penalty. Nobody did that.

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Sending him on loan doesn't mean they don't want him

Happens all the time do Celtic not want McGregor cos he has been on loans?

Bates is better than any Killie defender

Findlay hardly done anything at Newcastle

At least Bates has a brain in his head to try something different

And is good enough to play somewhere else in championship

Mark Warburton would have him at QPR just for starters

15 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:
27 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

That's the crux of this: you don't rate Bates. Which is fine. But you are coming across as if someone else posted how great it was that he'd made his Bruges debut without mentioning the penalty. Nobody did that.

Someone posted about Jack Hendry scoring the winner for Oostende without discussing the ludicrous array of defensive errors he made which led to the Mechelen player missing perhaps the biggest sitter of all time, so I'm not sure it's much of a stretch I was making.

Someone posted about Jack Hendry scoring the winner for Oostende without discussing the ludicrous array of defensive errors he made which led to the Mechelen player missing perhaps the biggest sitter of all time, so I'm not sure it's much of a stretch I was making.

Then why not point out the Jack Hendry stuff, instead of shoehorning your dislike for Bates into the thread. It'd have been far sharper and more germane to the discussion. 

They're all 'meh' I'd say. The hope is one or more comes good to give us a few more serious options in that position
Aye I see it that way also. There's nobody jumps out that I'd definitely have, but it's the perfect time for one of them to fucking get the finger out and improve enough to be a first choice starter for years.

3 hours ago, Tartan Tammy 1297 said:

Sending him on loan doesn't mean they don't want him

Happens all the time do Celtic not want McGregor cos he has been on loans?

Bates is better than any Killie defender

Findlay hardly done anything at Newcastle

At least Bates has a brain in his head to try something different

And is good enough to play somewhere else in championship

Mark Warburton would have him at QPR just for starters

Mcgegror went on loan once when he was about 18 the situations aren’t even remotely comparable.

Findlay has proven to be a better defender than both Bates/Hendry  etc in this league imo. The two of them are getting thrown about by their parent clubs in the hope of a bite, it clearly isn’t a succession plan they have in mind for them. 

Also Using Mark Waburton to prove your point isn’t exactly doing yourself any favours. A nice guy who respects Scottish football but not one to be quoting for anything of note.

Edited by gannonball

32 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Mcgegror went on loan once when he was about 18 the situations aren’t even remotely comparable.

Findlay has proven to be a better defender than both Bates/Hendry  etc in this league imo. The two of them are getting thrown about by their parent clubs in the hope of a bite, it clearly isn’t a succession plan they have in mind for them. 

Also Using Mark Waburton to prove your point isn’t exactly doing yourself any favours. A nice guy who respects Scottish football but not one to be quoting for anything of note.

Findlay hasnt proved anything Bates has done more playing for a bigger club than he has

And nobody is interested in Findlay anymore and only got capped cos Clarke hasn't any idea who his best centre backs are testimony in this is McTomilay getting a shot there cos he played a few games for Man Utd there

Bates is absolutely awful who got a lucky break at Rangers through friends and has lived off having them on his CV since.

Joining an absolute basket club like Hamburg is hardly a glowing reference either.

Jack Hendry is probably the worst Scottish CB to ever have £1m spent on him.