Scotland Centre Backs

4 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Aye but what are you comparing him to?  What's his competition?  And see if you know what you're looking at, his career has actually been a steady upwards progression from when he was 15 until now, with no bumps in the road and no downturn in form or expectations not met.

He broke into the Utd team very young, played a few games, was obviously way better than that level so was snapped up by a club with far greater resources. He was then loaned out to get experience (to Utd's level) where he was first choice for the entire time he was there.  

Then he was brought back, Stoke manager said a few nice things about him, he's played I think two league cup games for them, and is loaned out again. This time to a higher level, are you seeing the progression there btw, where he spends 18 months, is an absolute nailed on starter from the day he arrives until the day he leaves, does really well, they narrowly miss out on the playoffs, gets all sorts of plaudits, win various awards MOTM POTM I think even team of the year, becomes a full international, then goes back to Stoke where he's straight in the matchday squad for the first two games of the season.

His entire career has gone 100% according to plan so far, he's done everything expected of him, and met every objective put in front of him. Now he'll break into the Stoke team, do really well, and either go up with them or with somebody else.

We lost him cause absolute wallopers like Ricky Sbragia can't see what's right in front of them and didn't pick him for over 18 months cause he pure wasnae playin first team football ken while picking haddies from shite like Ayr in front of him. He was obviously our best at that level and age for that whole time, and progressing great, but our teams are managed by utter bellends and we miss out on players like this as a result.

Who is Scotland's first choice CB pairing right now?  Nodody knows, we don't even have one. He would have made his debut by now and put in a couple of impressive performances and have claimed that slot as his own next to McKenna and be looking good. Ironically if his brother didn't have injuries he probably would have as well by now.

Now I don't approve of Souttar's decision, if you're Scottish you play for Scotland, but we lost him cause our game is run by utter tubes not cause of anything he didn't do.

😂 the shite from Ayr in that under 21 squad are currently playing at the same or a better level than Harry Souttar has his entire career. 

7 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

😂 the shite from Ayr in that under 21 squad are currently playing at the same or a better level than Harry Souttar has his entire career. 

I have no idea who you're talking about but doubt very much its true. I used Ayr as an example btw, I don't even know what player you're referring to, but I can't think of a Scottish CB who was at Ayr and is now in the English Premiership, maybe I missed that.

I have no idea who you're talking about but doubt very much its true. I used Ayr as an example btw, I don't even know what player you're referring to, but I can't think of a Scottish CB who was at Ayr and is now in the English Premiership, maybe I missed that.
How many times has Harry Souttar played in the English Premiership?

5 hours ago, Aidan said:
6 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

How many times has Harry Souttar played in the English Premiership?

What

Aberdeen kept a clean sheet
Aye, McKenna is running a defence that has let in two goals in seven games, and yet the experts on P&B think he's a hoofer who has regressed, and want him chucked out the Scotland squad and replaced with Soutar/Tierney/Cooper/Bates/Findlay/Kerr or whoever else is flavour of the month right now.

41 minutes ago, resk said:
12 hours ago, ewan14 said:
Aberdeen kept a clean sheet

Aye, McKenna is running a defence that has let in two goals in seven games, and yet the experts on P&B think he's a hoofer who has regressed, and want him chucked out the Scotland squad and replaced with Soutar/Tierney/Cooper/Bates/Findlay/Kerr or whoever else is flavour of the month right now.

He is a hoofer.  I don’t know if he’s regressed, but he’s quite clearly one of the weakest players in the team.  Nobody is legitimately suggesting Soutar,  or Kerr replace him, but there’s at least two or three players you’ve listed who would be not significantly worse, and arguably better, than McKenna.

I want McKenna to be the rock-steady mainstay of our defence but I've yet to be convinced by him. He's decent when he has time, but under pressure he always looks a bit stretched and doesn't seem to have enough vocal presence to organise and inspire the rest of the defence.

Despite that, I still think he should remain as our first pick for now as nobody else is ticking all those boxes, and continuity might see him develop a bit more confidence at international level.

41 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

I want McKenna to be the rock-steady mainstay of our defence but I've yet to be convinced by him. He's decent when he has time, but under pressure he always looks a bit stretched and doesn't seem to have enough vocal presence to organise and inspire the rest of the defence.

Despite that, I still think he should remain as our first pick for now as nobody else is ticking all those boxes, and continuity might see him develop a bit more confidence at international level.

I think he had an excellent season two seasons ago, went backwards a bit last season, but has started this season more like his form of two seasons ago.

I'm a big believer in we should identify a first choice two and hang our hat on them for a while, so they can get lots of caps and experience playing together etc.  For me, though he's not Beckenbauer, right now it has to be McKenna and one other.

I think he had an excellent season two seasons ago, went backwards a bit last season, but has started this season more like his form of two seasons ago.
I'm a big believer in we should identify a first choice two and hang our hat on them for a while, so they can get lots of caps and experience playing together etc.  For me, though he's not Beckenbauer, right now it has to be McKenna and one other.
Totally agree re the last part. Our last consistent partnership was Hanley and Martin, and sticking with them paid reasonable dividends. We've been all over the place defensively ever since.

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

Totally agree re the last part. Our last consistent partnership was Hanley and Martin, and sticking with them paid reasonable dividends. We've been all over the place defensively ever since.

Aye, I think McKenna and John Souttar had real potential actually, nice balance, but he is now fucked through injury. I'm not sure who the obvious candidate is now, maybe Cooper for a wee while.  But it definitely helps to have a fairly settled defence.

21 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Its depressing that were so bad now were actually missing the glory days of the Hanley Martin partnership.

23 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Full 90 for Harry Souttar tonight as they knock Wolves out away from home.  Doesn't turn 22 for over a month.  We have precisely zero CB's at a similar level at a similar age, not one.  Who could have seen it coming though eh.

Harry Souttar chose to play for Australia, you can say he should have had a look in before that. Even in the u21s.

But its not like he would have been continually ignored by Scotland if he was playing well regularly at a decent level. Which he's still not.

It was his choice to decide to travel to the other side of the world for international games rather than just up the road. A decision he may come to regret. 

He will probably get to a world cup with Australia, and they will get knocked out quickly as usual. I don't think that would justify his choice personally.

Or he could have waited for his chance with Scotland. His choice

1 hour ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Harry Souttar chose to play for Australia, you can say he should have had a look in before that. Even in the u21s.

But its not like he would have been continually ignored by Scotland if he was playing well regularly at a decent level. Which he's still not.

It was his choice to decide to travel to the other side of the world for international games rather than just up the road. A decision he may come to regret. 

He will probably get to a world cup with Australia, and they will get knocked out quickly as usual. I don't think that would justify his choice personally.

Or he could have waited for his chance with Scotland. His choice

Totally agree, its an absolute dick move. But he wasn't getting picked purely due to the incompetence of those doing the picking, not that he didn't deserve to get picked. 

See someone like Arfield I totally respect that, he waited and waited for years for Scotland, desperate to get a cap, said several times he wanted to be in a squad. Eventually aged 27 he went to Canada, fair enough. Should have capped him btw decent player, but someone like Souttar who does it in a huff at 19 or 20 having played twelve first team games is a w****r.