A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 12/08/2020 at 19:18, kingjoey said:

When I was young and carefree, a while ago admittedly, I absolutely loved going to the old Hampden. If you were in the Mount Florida end at a Scotland game and we scored, it was just simply a dust storm, and you were blowing black stuff into your hankie for a few days. Loved it.

likewise.

when scotland scored we used to push down and cause a surge then grab any cairy oots in our path.it was also well worth hanging about at the end and seeing what you could find.cairy oots,money,watches,lighters etc kept us youngsters happy.

oh aye,you needed 3 baths before school the next day to get rid of the hampden  dust.

11 minutes ago, Buddie Holly said:

likewise.

when scotland scored we used to push down and cause a surge then grab any cairy oots in our path.it was also well worth hanging about at the end and seeing what you could find.cairy oots,money,watches,lighters etc kept us youngsters happy.

oh aye,you needed 3 baths before school the next day to get rid of the hampden  dust.

Did you find my specs?

On 15/08/2020 at 10:22, Sergeant Wilson said:

Seen him.sent off twice in 4 says against Airdrie. Either a two legged cup tie or a cup game followed by a league game in the days before automatic suspension.

An opponent of Airdrie was sent off as opposed to carried off ?

On 14/08/2020 at 07:21, Academically Deficient said:

They were a very good team. Is that the season they won promotion? They drew Motherwell in the Scottish Cup and there was huge hype about that game. I went with my Dad to Fir Park to watch it, cos he'd heard so much about how good St Mirren were, the crowd was big (maybe close to 20,000) and there was a great atmosphere.

Motherwell were brutal and kicked St Mirren black and blue.

Craig Brown was Motherwell assistant at the time I think, and was on the radio recently, chuckling away at his memory of his pre-match instructions which were, in essence, "make sure you kick them black and blue". 

Any Saints fans have similar memories of this game?

Motherwell fans probably recall it as a typically robust performance and routine victory from their 70s team 😆

Good old Craig ! and I felt sorry for him having to suffer Cosgrove and Cowan after we drew with the Faroes

3 minutes ago, ewan14 said:

An opponent of Airdrie was sent off as opposed to carried off ?

That was way before that reputation had been acquired. They would have been any worse than anyone else at the time. MoVie stood out a bit at the time, but there plenty of others like him.

Come to think of it Airdrie had Willie McPheat and Davie Marshall who were animals. I think it was the recently departed Tam Forsyth who told the story of his debut and tackling one of them ( I can't remember which ). As they recovered Tam expected the other to roll away from him and get up. However the player rolled towards him, got up and stood on Tam's legs and walked up his body and stood on his head.

Happier, simpler times!

The corners in question...

Fir Park:

3746202687_fa7da348b1.jpg

East End Park:

Eep23.JPG

Not convinced it's either tbh, but EEP (which was my instant guess) looks the more likely of the two (take the current floodlights out of course).

Edited by Hedgecutter

Aberdeen v Third Lanark (late 50s or early 60s) with a coal-pile in the gas works behind the South Stand at Pittodrie, harking back to a pre-North Sea gas era in which gas had to be generated from coal.

SS.JPG.d49610ed8a45b15a2d7407c8572b2be2.JPG

Edited by Hedgecutter

On 16/08/2020 at 20:49, Hedgecutter said:

The corners in question...

Fir Park:

3746202687_fa7da348b1.jpg

East End Park:

Eep23.JPG

Not convinced it's either tbh, but EEP (which was my instant guess) looks the more likely of the two (take the current floodlights out of course).

Looking at the photo of Crerand, with the lowish terracing at the corner in front of the trees, it has to be Fir Park. The terracing in the corner is too high at East End Park.

Top of the terracing looks too low for Cathkin and were the trees there in the late 50s like there are now? Old photos suggest otherwise.  
cathkin1.jpg&key=e574da2fb50211bfc7b8980d08559d31a07748527aa8dca923260752cb62ac89
Think we shouldn't be so quick to dismiss East End Park. Can't think of any other Scottish league ground from that era with scope for having trees like that, because usually there isn't higher ground behind the top of the terracing. 
The trees made me think Cathkin as well. You're photo does appear to suggest otherwise though.

Looking at the photo of Crerand, with the lowish terracing at the corner in front of the trees, it has to be Fir Park. The terracing in the corner is too high at East End Park.
I think there's a possibility, looking at pictures of the time, that it could be Douglas Park.

The picture below is the 'wrong way around' in relation to the Crerand photo but certainly looks possible, the covered terrace and the trees in the bottom corner.image%20(1).jpeg

12 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:
15 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:
Did Celtic ever play at Douglas Park in Crerand's time?

I have no idea, that did cross my mind but certainly going by the picture it's a possibility it's that ground.

For no reason whatsoever I thought it might be Annfield.

Edited by Jacksgranda
sllepnig