A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Suspect it'll go unnoticed but 60yrs ago Scotland Amateurs won FA Centenary Tournament at Roker Park.

Oddly enough same night FA staged European Cup Final.

We got to go home early from school to watch the European Cup Final. No idea why it was an afternoon game but as they played midweek internationals in daylight perhaps the floodlights weren’t good enough. I can’t remember if I went to the Forfarshire Cup tie at Tannadice that night but do remember going to the Final at Dens five days later where United beat Arbroath 2-1 aet. Big disappointment for a younger me was no cup presentation.

On 10/05/2023 at 12:01, kingjoey said:

I might be wrong and haven't Googled it, but I think that he scored the first goal of the Premier League era, which was against Aberdeen at Dens. I was there.

You are spot on, Ford scored the opener after about 5 minutes into the game. The goal was scored at the Provost Road end. I recall the game finishing up 3-2 but can't remember if it was a win for the Dee or the Dons 🤦‍♂️

7 hours ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

You are spot on, Ford scored the opener after about 5 minutes into the game. The goal was scored at the Provost Road end. I recall the game finishing up 3-2 but can't remember if it was a win for the Dee or the Dons 🤦‍♂️

Unfortunately, it was 3-2 Dundee. Although it was an early first goal for Dundee, Aberdeen equalised a minute later and also went 2-1 up. But two relatively late goals gave Dundee the win.

May 1975.

A Scotland fan climbs a gate, swings over to a 2nd floor window and is pulled into Wembley to see the Home International without paying. A fall would likely have killed the guy. Wasn’t worth the bother as we lost 5-1.

London Transport banned our support that weekend for “fear of hooliganism”.

IMG_1734.thumb.jpeg.caf7b0cb5e36f89490ed6950362cf23b.jpeg

3 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

May 1975.

A Scotland fan climbs a gate, swings over to a 2nd floor window and is pulled into Wembley to see the Home International without paying. A fall would likely have killed the guy. Wasn’t worth the bother as we lost 5-1.

Wearing white breeks when pulling a stunt like that was a bold move

On 22/05/2023 at 01:11, Eednud said:

We got to go home early from school to watch the European Cup Final. No idea why it was an afternoon game but as they played midweek internationals in daylight perhaps the floodlights weren’t good enough. I can’t remember if I went to the Forfarshire Cup tie at Tannadice that night but do remember going to the Final at Dens five days later where United beat Arbroath 2-1 aet. Big disappointment for a younger me was no cup presentation.

I too can`t remember the Dundee game but the Arbroath game is clear - it was the first time I saw my team win a cup and pretty sure there was a presentation on the pitch. We sang our way down Tannadice Street - great times for a ten year old.

3 minutes ago, United63 said:

I too can`t remember the Dundee game but the Arbroath game is clear - it was the first time I saw my team win a cup and pretty sure there was a presentation on the pitch. We sang our way down Tannadice Street - great times for a ten year old.

We won the cup at Dens - fly the flag.

12 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

May 1975.

That could have been 1977 as well as this looks like what I witnessed then.

28 minutes ago, United63 said:

Definitely from 1975. It’s a screenshot from a 75 news report.

From the footage I’ve seen of 77 the home support was vastly outnumbered.

38 minutes ago, United63 said:
12 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

May 1975.

Expand  

I'm sure I've seen an almost identical picture taken at a Liverpool - Everton FA Cup Final.

On 15/05/2023 at 21:40, kingjoey said:

I was there in the newly opened and seated Paddock. That was our first competitive home match since the league match against Celtic at the end of the previous season when it was 1-1. If Aberdeen had had the same score as the Drybourgh Cup Final, we would almost certainly have won the 1970/71 title. 

So was I. Great day.

On 15/05/2023 at 22:04, kingjoey said:

Aberdeen had two games left, home to Celtic and away at Falkirk. All we had to do was beat Celtic and get at least a point at Falkirk to win the title. We drew with Celtic which finished our chances and we ended up losing to Falkirk, which then had no bearing on the title. One of my favourite ever seasons following Aberdeen home and away and missing only one league game at Kilmarnock. 

Great record, friend.

On 21/05/2023 at 14:29, Eednud said:

Here he is scoring two of Blackpool’s goals in a 4-0 FA Cup win against West Ham in 1971.

Was that the infamous Jimmy Greaves, Boobby Moore + others out on the town prior to the match incident?

14 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

May 1975.

I never knew Elvis was such a big fan of Scotland. 

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

Great record, friend.

Absolutely loved travelling around the country by train going to loads of grounds I'd never been to before. And found them without the help of the Internet.