A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

45 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I'm pretty certain this is the Dumbarton team* which lost 5-2 in a league match at Tannadice on 18th August 1934.  If so, United's scorers were Smith, Hart (2) and Gardiner (2), and I'm frankly astonished that Pat G was playing for the Arabs as far back as that.  Johnny Haddow and Tommy Cumming replied for the Sons, with the crowd given as 6000.

* According to our fantastic archive website there is one caption error; the wee fresh-faced lad in the bottom right was not Robert Henderson, but one John Pyper who was making the first of his eight appearances which included a 1-6 beating at Stenny and a 1-9 hiding at Methil. 

Team Photo 1934.jpeg

Didn’t Dumbarton play in hooped shirts in the 1930’s. United played in black and white hoops then but for League games as the home team they would have changed.

ETA: Do you have a link to the archive site?

Edited by Eednud

23 minutes ago, Eednud said:

Didn’t Dumbarton play in hooped shirts in the 1930’s. United played in black and white hoops then but for League games as the home team they would have changed.

ETA: Do you have a link to the archive site?

Yep, it's a bit of an odd one that, but that definitely looks like the Johnny Haddow I've seen in pictures elsewhere.

Here's your link to the archive:-

https://sonsarchive.co.uk/

00104cf1-1500.jpg

It was 25yrs ago today Eire beat Italy by 2-1 at McDiarmid Park to win U16 Euros... last tournament hosted in Scotland except for 2019's Womens U19 Euros. In disappointing showing Scotland finished bottom of their group.

1998 UEFA European Under-16 Championship - Wikipedia

image.thumb.png.a1c2ef951a109d91a0a485e841c2e6b6.png

According to tournament programme Scotland's 30-boy squad was:

Mark Brown, Garry Hamilton, Barryjohn Corr, Jon Connolly
Marc Cocozza, Maurice Ross, Chris Doig, Darren Goldie, Kevin Milne, Stephen Crainey, Kevin McDonald, Graham McGhee, Steven Reilly
Billy Gibson, Gareth Williams, Paul McHale, Ryan McCann, Ian Murray, Joe McAlpine, Sean Kilgannon, Lee Johnstone, Brian Mulholland
Burton O'Brien, Brian Kerr, Liam Keogh, Oliver Gruber, Stephen McConalogue, Stuart Kelly, Tam McManus, Stephen McPhee

achieved U21 cap
achieved B cap
achieved full cap

Edited by HibeeJibee

5 hours ago, Buddie Holly said:

stadia that have been used for speedway-

clifftonhill

love street

hampden

shawfield

shielfield (berwick)

any others?

If meaning SFL grounds can add Parkhead, Marine Gardens, Powderhall and Meadowbank.

Willie Henderson sporting a quite magnificent tache in a friendly between QPR and Rangers in 1969, I vaguely remember as a kid, sure it was in the early 1980's that they had a bizarre  some would suggest laughable policy of insisting players were clean shaven, probably in some staunch Presbyterian edict suggested by someone, I remember a newspaper article about Dougie Bell having to shave his beard when he joined from Hibs, any older posters recall this and who implemented and scrapped it?

FB_IMG_1683572351235.jpg

32 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Willie Henderson sporting a quite magnificent tache in a friendly between QPR and Rangers in 1969, I vaguely remember as a kid, sure it was in the early 1980's that they had a bizarre  some would suggest laughable policy of insisting players were clean shaven, probably in some staunch Presbyterian edict suggested by someone, I remember a newspaper article about Dougie Bell having to shave his beard when he joined from Hibs, any older posters recall this and who implemented and scrapped it?

FB_IMG_1683572351235.jpg

A quick google suggests it's very likely it was there in the 1980s, as it was also enforced for the youth team in the previous decade. Fucking weirdos.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/627978/Rangers-Ban-Beards-Youth-Team-Decembeard-Bowel-Cancer-Fundraiser

35 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

FB_IMG_1683572351235.jpg

Cammy Fraser* had to ditch his tache upon signing as well. Pretty sure the arrival of Souness put an end to it, understandably.

*Unrelated to taches, but I remember being at Ibrox when Cammy Fraser stuck his fingers up at one his own fans, sparking a hilarious Staunch v Stauncher civil war, where the Govan and Copland Road stands turned on each other and were howling chants back and forth to each other for the rest of the day.😃

1 hour ago, Flybhoy said:

FB_IMG_1683572351235.jpg

john greig was allowed to grow a beard when rangers won the cup winners cup 

0A656ACC-3029-47B4-92FD-6EFBCFEDCBE6.webp

3 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

Cammy Fraser* had to ditch his tache upon signing as well. Pretty sure the arrival of Souness put an end to it, understandably.

*Unrelated to taches, but I remember being at Ibrox when Cammy Fraser stuck his fingers up at one his own fans, sparking a hilarious Staunch v Stauncher civil war, where the Govan and Copland Road stands turned on each other and were howling chants back and forth to each other for the rest of the day.😃

Bear on Bear craziness.

Rangers v Queens Park mideeek Glasgow Cup tie at Ibrox in the 1970s

Attendance 10,000

Most of the crowd behind the goal on the old Copland Rd terracing.

I'm in the almost empty Main Stand enclosure watching what bordered on a full scale riot.

Cops call for reinforcements.

Knew that because there was hardly any cops and you could hear the sirens in the distance coming towards the ground.

Something like 90 arrests according to the reports next day and claims of inter gang warfare.

Surreal

This might have been posted before but it’s Raith Rovers 0 Hibs 0 in the First Round of the Scottish Cup on 26 January 1952 in front of 30,206. Amazing scenes of getting the pitch cleared. The replay at Easter Road 4 days later also ended 0-0 before 30,000, no bad for a Wednesday afternoon. The 2nd replay was at Tynecastle the following Monday afternoon with Raith winning 4-1 and the largest crowd of the 3 games, 33,614. Over 90,000 for the 3 games. Raith we’re back at Tynecastle in the Second Round 5 days later losing 0-1 before 47,152. Hibs won the league, Raith Rovers were 5th, East Fife 3rd. Motherwell won the Cup defeating Dundee 4-0.

15 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

FB_IMG_1683572351235.jpg

Clearly nothing to do with staunch Presbyterian edicts as the Celtic of the Stein era had a similar no facial hair rule. Check Alfie Çonn at Spurs and subsequently at Celtic for confirmation..

1 hour ago, Eednud said:

This might have been posted before but it’s Raith Rovers 0 Hibs 0 in the First Round of the Scottish Cup on 26 January 1952 in front of 30,206. Amazing scenes of getting the pitch cleared. The replay at Easter Road 4 days later also ended 0-0 before 30,000, no bad for a Wednesday afternoon. The 2nd replay was at Tynecastle the following Monday afternoon with Raith winning 4-1 and the largest crowd of the 3 games, 33,614. Over 90,000 for the 3 games. Raith we’re back at Tynecastle in the Second Round 5 days later losing 0-1 before 47,152. Hibs won the league, Raith Rovers were 5th, East Fife 3rd. Motherwell won the Cup defeating Dundee 4-0.

Interesting to see no goalkeeper gloves in use on an obviously difficult day weather wise, but I think they only became common in the late 60s. 

1 hour ago, kennie makevin said:

Clearly nothing to do with staunch Presbyterian edicts as the Celtic of the Stein era had a similar no facial hair rule. Check Alfie Çonn at Spurs and subsequently at Celtic for confirmation..

Aye, but confirmation is one of the sacrements in the RC church, is it not?

3 hours ago, buchan30 said:

When i started watching football in the 90s and Even now looking back at some of these photos, every Scottish footballer looked like they were in their mid 40s-50s. 

Maybe something to do  with the advent of "sport science" and "fitness"?

Nae sure many top level plers are smoking 60 a day (unfiltered) and downing several pints per night these days