A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 30/04/2023 at 11:17, AuAl said:

Not sure if this is the right thread for a post like this, but here goes. We may end up in the play-offs, in which case this post is maybe a couple weeks early.

Yesterday marked the last league home game for Ayr, meaning, the last regular league game with the old North Terrace in its current look.

North side of the ground is being given a much needed redevelopment over next season and will certainly change the look of the old place. The plans are very popular with the Ayr support. Thankfully, there will still be terracing and the new stand will come with some additional seating (around 800 seats I think) along with a roof. A significant hospitality space and clubhouse is the main part of the build.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/ayr-united-unveil-stunning-plans-27193546

https://twitter.com/AyrUnitedFC/status/1535345528686395392?s=20

20190423_203219_2.thumb.jpg.431fc7c735831f3a339b9a268748b386.jpg

1200px-Ayr_Uniteds_Somerset_Park.thumb.jpg.88870fded8d5492560c173ec7e4cbdc0.jpg

368307701.article-962.jpg.055fa4bcd56325cf7b54200c5d49a02d.jpg

368307695.thumb.jpeg.f9cd59c5e4ced1e163e6bab315456564.jpeg

Looks a decent development tbf.  Like the mix of terracing and seating and a break away from the standard boring modern "lego all seater stands".

Ayr had a cash injection?

On 01/05/2023 at 10:45, Theyellowbox said:

I think Elgin built some small bits of terracing behind each goal on the existing grass banks, but since then, only Albion Rovers that I can think of, unless Kelty or Bonnyrigg did, which I suspect they might have.

Kelty have added terracing on I think 3 occasions - one was more like slabs at varying heights with basic roofs over them along the side then they've also added 2 proper terracing sections behind each goal. They've also obviously built a seated stand along the side too.

12 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Clydebank v Hibs in the 1992 Scottish Cup at the all bench arena that was Kilbowie Park.

Tommy McIntyre and (I think) Gordon Hunter are in the sponsor free Hibernian shirts with, it looks like John Henry is the garish Bankies strip of that time?

The red hair behind him might be Paul Harvey.

FB_IMG_1682973476084.jpg

John Henry was a great player.  I didn't really know much about him when he signed for us, despite the fact I must have seen him play for Clydebank against us before our promotion in 93. 

On the other hand I always wanted us to sign Paul Harvey, but we never did.

You are correct with Gordon Hunter by the way, 

Edited by paul wright scores
Typo

2 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Looks a decent development tbf.  Like the mix of terracing and seating and a break away from the standard boring modern "lego all seater stands".

Ayr had a cash injection?

Agreed, retaining the terracing is key I think. Would have hated losing the opportunity to stand on the NT (best place to watch the games at Somerset) and seen it replaced with an oversized all seater stand.

Chairman has certainly invested in infrastructure in the few years since he took over.  He also built the new hub/bar/club shop a bit back. Not that I'm a happy clapper to any extent, but it does make a change to have some good things going on off the park for Ayr. 

13 minutes ago, AuAl said:

Agreed, retaining the terracing is key I think. Would have hated losing the opportunity to stand on the NT (best place to watch the games at Somerset) and seen it replaced with an oversized all seater stand.

Chairman has certainly invested in infrastructure in the few years since he took over.  He also built the new hub/bar/club shop a bit back. Not that I'm a happy clapper to any extent, but it does make a change to have some good things going on off the park for Ayr. 

Cheers.  Always a decent day out at Somerset ... maybe we'll get a chance to visit again in a couple of years ... 🙄

34 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

My old man knew Gordon "Geebsy" Hunter's uncle. He had a bakery off Easter Road and made fantastic pies. 

'Had' and 'made' makes that a disappointing story.

'Has' and 'makes' would have made it a great story.

14 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Clydebank v Hibs in the 1992 Scottish Cup at the all bench arena that was Kilbowie Park.

Tommy McIntyre and (I think) Gordon Hunter are in the sponsor free Hibernian shirts with, it looks like John Henry is the garish Bankies strip of that time?

The red hair behind him might be Paul Harvey.

FB_IMG_1682973476084.jpg

John Henry, one of my fave ever Killie players. 

Classy player. 

On 30/04/2023 at 11:17, AuAl said:

Not sure if this is the right thread for a post like this, but here goes. We may end up in the play-offs, in which case this post is maybe a couple weeks early.

Yesterday marked the last league home game for Ayr, meaning, the last regular league game with the old North Terrace in its current look.

North side of the ground is being given a much needed redevelopment over next season and will certainly change the look of the old place. The plans are very popular with the Ayr support. Thankfully, there will still be terracing and the new stand will come with some additional seating (around 800 seats I think) along with a roof. A significant hospitality space and clubhouse is the main part of the build.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/ayr-united-unveil-stunning-plans-27193546

https://twitter.com/AyrUnitedFC/status/1535345528686395392?s=20

20190423_203219_2.thumb.jpg.431fc7c735831f3a339b9a268748b386.jpg

1200px-Ayr_Uniteds_Somerset_Park.thumb.jpg.88870fded8d5492560c173ec7e4cbdc0.jpg

368307701.article-962.jpg.055fa4bcd56325cf7b54200c5d49a02d.jpg

368307695.thumb.jpeg.f9cd59c5e4ced1e163e6bab315456564.jpeg

How will that affect the capacity of the away end?

7 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

How will that affect the capacity of the away end?

There's been nothing absolutely official on it, but the assumption is that there will still be segregation (not in the form of a huge view obstructing fence) in the stand, with away supporters still getting the far end of towards the corner, so I don't imagine capacity  for away fans will change much, if at all, if that is the case.

On 01/05/2023 at 10:15, Specky Ginger said:

Andy Graham, who was on loan to us from Dundee United, saved a penalty that night as well.

Sorry to have to tell you that Andy sadly passed away in January this year.

Nice big guy, always willing to have a pleasant wee chat anytime we met.

1 hour ago, AuAl said:

There's been nothing absolutely official on it, but the assumption is that there will still be segregation (not in the form of a huge view obstructing fence) in the stand, with away supporters still getting the far end of towards the corner, so I don't imagine capacity  for away fans will change much, if at all, if that is the case.

Nice one, looks good. 

I'm pretty certain this is the Dumbarton team* which lost 5-2 in a league match at Tannadice on 18th August 1934.  If so, United's scorers were Smith, Hart (2) and Gardiner (2), and I'm frankly astonished that Pat G was playing for the Arabs as far back as that.  Johnny Haddow and Tommy Cumming replied for the Sons, with the crowd given as 6000.

* According to our fantastic archive website there is one caption error; the wee fresh-faced lad in the bottom right was not Robert Henderson, but one John Pyper who was making the first of his eight appearances which included a 1-6 beating at Stenny and a 1-9 hiding at Methil. 

Team Photo 1934.jpeg

56 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Screenshot_20230508-093706_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.bf903275debf1a68e6968e6097f9b6a9.jpg

Other than different advertising hoardings,  it's hasn't changed much.

Sadly only seems to be occupied by substitutes these days..

Looks like it he stadium was still being used for greyhound racing at thet point judging by the lights over the track.