A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

3 hours ago, Piquet said:

From the League Magazine 

Scotland 1977.

20230421_194045.jpg

There was a TV commercial spawned by this and it was featured very briefly in 'Tackle', the Only an Excuse that was aired just before the 1990 World Cup Final.

The video starts at the offending moment:

On 19/04/2023 at 20:31, Flybhoy said:

John Wark, signing for Liverpool in 1984 posing in front of the Liver buildings in the city centre. 

One of hundreds of players from the 50's onwards who made their career in England but never started out with or played for a club in their home country of Scotland, along with the likes of Denis Law, John Robertson, John McGovern, John O'Hare, Arthur Albiston to name but a few, I'm assuming back in the days before the influx of thousands of foreigners into the leagues on this island the best Scottish players were scouted by top English clubs from school age?

FB_IMG_1681932293734.jpg

Not in JWs case , he played with several local boys clubs , including as a sub for Renfrew Argyle in this pic from 1973 .                                                   Image

26th April 1978.

Morton played their remaining game in hand and won 3-1 against Airdrie. This meant that we were promoted to the Premier League for the first time ever. My dad went to this, but didn't take me. Said there were old men in tears at the end of this game.

In typical Morton fashion, we were 1-0 down at the break.

Captain Davie Hayes equalises.

1978.4.26Morton3-1Airdrieonians(5).thumb.jpg.075645d554f486ea73cd7a13782eefc4.jpg

John Goldthorp celebrates putting us ahead with 5 minutes left.

1978.4.26Morton3-1Airdrieonians(6).jpg.20b477d0ee1ca9d25cdd941e7f1b8b7b.jpg

Andy Ritchie puts the icing on the cake with a late penalty.

1978.4.26Morton3-1Airdrieonians(7).jpg.841b29fffe0c32d69b15e0455e2336d2.jpg

Trainer Willie Gray stands on the dug out wall to celebrate the full time whistle below the directors. Love this one.

1978.4.26Morton3-1Airdrieonians(8).jpg.8c50dba9159080c60ed4b4d814637672.jpg

This started a five year stint in the top flight under Benny Rooney's management. A part time side who briefly topped the Premier League and made three cup semi finals.

A great pic of Dundee United goalie Bob Wyllie in action at Dens in, at that time, a rare Dundee derby from 1951. I think this is a Scottish Cup tie in which 2nd division United held Dundee to a 2-2 draw in front of 38,000. The replay 4 days later on a Wednesday afternoon attracted 20,000 who witnessed a 1-0 victory for the Dark Blues courtesy of a goal from the legendary Billy Steel. The stand enclosure has a bit of room in it so this may not be the Scottish cup but possibly a Forfarshire Cup match.

Incidentally the 38,000 attendance wasn't the biggest at Dens that season. A huge 40,920 attended the QF tie with Raith Rovers. Biggest league gate was 37,400 against the Rangers but curiously the next home match a week later saw 35,000 watch the Dee beat Morton 2-1.UncleBob.thumb.jpeg.a039a7dcb3fd2fe19cdabe83e6e49f73.jpeg

38 minutes ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

A great pic of Dundee United goalie Bob Wyllie in action at Dens in, at that time, a rare Dundee derby from 1951. I think this is a Scottish Cup tie in which 2nd division United held Dundee to a 2-2 draw in front of 38,000. The replay 4 days later on a Wednesday afternoon attracted 20,000 who witnessed a 1-0 victory for the Dark Blues courtesy of a goal from the legendary Billy Steel. The stand enclosure has a bit of room in it so this may not be the Scottish cup but possibly a Forfarshire Cup match.

Incidentally the 38,000 attendance wasn't the biggest at Dens that season. A huge 40,920 attended the QF tie with Raith Rovers. Biggest league gate was 37,400 against the Rangers but curiously the next home match a week later saw 35,000 watch the Dee beat Morton 2-1.

The Rangers game was a 2-0 win Dec 30 and the Morton game on Jan 2 with a 0-1 loss to Aberdeen on Jan 1. The Bob Wyllie pic must be from the Scottish Cup tie as Alec Edmiston was the goalie in the Forfarshire Cup Final according to Arab Archive. 

1 hour ago, Eednud said:

The Rangers game was a 2-0 win Dec 30 and the Morton game on Jan 2 with a 0-1 loss to Aberdeen on Jan 1. The Bob Wyllie pic must be from the Scottish Cup tie as Alec Edmiston was the goalie in the Forfarshire Cup Final according to Arab Archive. 

I know you know your ground better than me, but having stood in that enclosure for the Scottish Cup Quarter Final replay against Hibs in 1974, in a crowd of just over 30,000, I can't believe that that photo is from a match with a crowd of 38,000.

On 23/04/2023 at 13:27, bluearmyfaction said:

I wonder if there are any relatives of this poor little lad around to see this...

North_British_Daily_Mail_Mon__Oct_1__1877_.thumb.jpg.94494f0e3891b2e781aa43b4f0acc9bd.jpg

...North British Daily Mail, 1 October 1877.  When 11 year olds were worked to their death.

Give it another few years of Tory rule & this will become a lot more common. 

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I know you know your ground better than me, but having stood in that enclosure for the Scottish Cup Quarter Final replay against Hibs in 1974, in a crowd of just over 30,000, I can't believe that that photo is from a match with a crowd of 38,000.

Everyone was much smaller in the 'fifties.

9 hours ago, kingjoey said:

You had to pay extra to transfer to that enclosure. The majority would have been squeezed into the terracing. The Provost Road end had a fairly high embankment towards the Sandeman Street corner and don’t think there was an enclosure at the Dens and from some old pics the terracing went back a lot further before it was covered.

18 hours ago, kingjoey said:

It's a fair comment however the addition of a covered enclosure in the Provost Road end cut off some of the height of the terracing and reduced the capacity somewhat. The South Enclosure likely did the same. I was at the 74 tie against Hibs and stood in the TC Keay end in the first half. Whilst it looked really full it was actually quite comfortable and you could have got a lot more bodies in. I moved to the opposite end during HT, missed the first 15 minutes due to the time it took me and had a terrible view stuck at the back of the terracing as the Provie Rd end was rammed

8 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Billy McNeil and Joe McBride enjoying some R&R during Celtic's pre season trip to North America in 1966, just before THAT season....

"We're gonna need a bigger trophy cabinet"

FB_IMG_1682029595512.jpg

Worst Everly Brothers tribute act ever.