A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

10 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

WTF is that meant to mean?

That Doug Somner looks like Andy Samberg's twin? Not sure why you've instantly jumped to being so offended

1 hour ago, LiviLion said:

That Doug Somner looks like Andy Samberg's twin? Not sure why you've instantly jumped to being so offended

Yup, they look pretty alike.

Posted (edited)

Kenny Dalglish receiving the Press Association player of the year in England from Stanley Matthews in his first season at Liverpool in 77/78.

20240508_183008.jpg

Edited by Flybhoy

On 04/05/2024 at 11:39, AUcal said:

Just over a year on and the build is almost complete. 2/3rds of the terracing remains, with around 800 seats and a large hospitality area.

Has certainly changed the look of the old place, but not too much. 

Screenshot_2024-05-04-11-35-58-783_com_miui.gallery.thumb.jpg.4b6d184aa6410ba658ce49180a18574e.jpgScreenshot_2024-05-04-11-35-40-818_com_miui.gallery.thumb.jpg.f50c648291d24ced2c55548fc56f4890.jpgScreenshot_2024-05-04-11-35-24-708_com_miui.gallery.thumb.jpg.c449af4b419f13599386936623ab248a.jpgScreenshot_2024-05-03-13-53-59-886_com.google.android.youtube.thumb.jpg.4a7727fc1b220f72fd10e0b0f4461b2a.jpg

Putting club rivalries to the side, I think that Ayr have done a really good job since David Smith took over the running of the club in terms of sprucing Somerset Park up. The new stand is a really good mixture of old and new, allowing the fans to still stand on the terraces and seriously upgrading the hospitality offerings on the old portakabin-style arrangement. I was worried that building a new stand would completely change the vibe around the place - but I thought that a new stand would be completely all-seater, and thus I think the essence of the ground is still intact. Will be interesting to hear what it's like when the stand opens after the break and what it does for the atmosphere in the ground.

17 minutes ago, Andy_K_97 said:

Putting club rivalries to the side, I think that Ayr have done a really good job since David Smith took over the running of the club in terms of sprucing Somerset Park up. The new stand is a really good mixture of old and new, allowing the fans to still stand on the terraces and seriously upgrading the hospitality offerings on the old portakabin-style arrangement. I was worried that building a new stand would completely change the vibe around the place - but I thought that a new stand would be completely all-seater, and thus I think the essence of the ground is still intact. Will be interesting to hear what it's like when the stand opens after the break and what it does for the atmosphere in the ground.

Aye, lots of clubs (ourselves included) have had periods of throwing silly money at a playing squad in the hope that it works out and promotion is achieved. Our previous attempt at that for a few years consecutively nearly bankrupted the club and led to years in the doldrums.

It's been good to see investment in infrastructure and stuff that will help sustain the club in the long term (such as the hub and the new stand/ facilities/ hospitality), alongside attempts to make the club more attractive to folk in the area that maybe otherwise wouldn't bother. With that type of stuff, in time, you hopefully lay the groundwork to be in a better financial position to attract better players - in theory anyway.

I'm hoping the roof will help to keep in a bit of the noise from that side of the ground. I'm looking forward to be back standing out there.

Found this on Dee Archive. A Sunday Post report from August 1944 of Dundee’s first game since 1940. Some famous names in the Army team.

IMG_2052.jpeg

52 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

9th May 1964, St. Mirren v Third Lanark. The pitch in some state.

20240509_121945.jpg

ETA John Wilson was a full back played as a forward.

This was a Summer Cup tie.

Teams just got on with it in those days. Unless Thirds issued a "statement" back then... 

6 hours ago, Eednud said:

Found this on Dee Archive. A Sunday Post report from August 1944 of Dundee’s first game since 1940. Some famous names in the Army team.

IMG_2052.jpeg

The referee, Peter Craigmyle, was well known in those days. You can buy a book about him in Aberdeen's club shop as he came from the North East. 

A top referee not from Glasgow?! The past is a foreign country, they do things differently there...