A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

13 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Jock Stein in his playing days for Celtic against Manchester United in the semi finals of the Coronation Cup at Hampden in 1953, they were promptly dispatched as Arsenal had been the round before as an all Scottish final was the end result with Celtic beating Hibernian, an outcome that no doubt delighted the FA and English hierarchy at the time. 

Tottenham and Newcastle were the other English sides to compete with the Old Firm,Hibs and Aberdeen. 

"England sent four of the best, they didn't meet with much success as the trophy ended up in paradise...."

Marvelous achievement and you are left in awe and wonderment that such a thing was possible given the worldwide masonic conspiracy that attempts to derail Glasgow Celtic at every opportunity. ☘️

1 hour ago, AyrshireTon said:

1st December 1979. League Cup semi-final.

Mark McGhee nods past Roy Baines to put Aberdeen 1-0 up against Morton at Hampden, with most of the 12,000 fans present in the North terracing and the old North stand.

Also in the pic are Steve Archibald, Jim Holmes, Bobby Thomson, Joe McLaughlin and Neil Orr (and Andrew Waddell, the referee). Gordon Strachan made it 2-0 from the spot with Andy Ritchie scoring a penalty for us with 10 minutes to go.

1979_12.1Aberdeen2-1Morton(3).thumb.jpg.4e42753ca09dfbf25976fa750d00e899.jpg

I was in the South Stand Enclosure for that game, I think most of the Aberdeen fans were in the covered west terrace.  

Morton might have been top of the league at the time and in the previous rounds Aberdeen had beaten Celtic and Rangers winning both home and away legs.

Dundee Utd played Hamilton in the other semi final and they had the common sense to play that game at East End Park so not sure why this had to be at Hampden 

5 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

1st December 1979. League Cup semi-final.

Mark McGhee nods past Roy Baines to put Aberdeen 1-0 up against Morton at Hampden, with most of the 12,000 fans present in the North terracing and the old North stand.

Also in the pic are Steve Archibald, Jim Holmes, Bobby Thomson, Joe McLaughlin and Neil Orr (and Andrew Waddell, the referee). Gordon Strachan made it 2-0 from the spot with Andy Ritchie scoring a penalty for us with 10 minutes to go.

1979_12.1Aberdeen2-1Morton(3).thumb.jpg.4e42753ca09dfbf25976fa750d00e899.jpg

Dr. Andrew Waddell is still going strong and is the secretary at Edinburgh University FC. He gave complimentary tickets to a mate of mine for a Meadowbank Thistle game and when my mate was not let in because he was banned by Bill Hunter complained to the SFA about it so a good guy in my book. 

Bobby Thomson's daughter played for Hamilton Accies and Hibs and is a good lass and not mental like her old man! 

8 hours ago, Dunfermline Don said:

I was in the South Stand Enclosure for that game, I think most of the Aberdeen fans were in the covered west terrace.  

Morton might have been top of the league at the time and in the previous rounds Aberdeen had beaten Celtic and Rangers winning both home and away legs.

Dundee Utd played Hamilton in the other semi final and they had the common sense to play that game at East End Park so not sure why this had to be at Hampden 

We had been top on goals scored for two weeks and had just slipped to 2nd despite beating Dundee 2-0 (Celtic won their game 3-0). Having both the quarter final 2nd leg at Rugby Park and this game played on consecutive weekends, we were losing ground but had games in hand.

Sadly, two games in December - Rangers at home and Celtic away - saw a couple of disgraceful refereeing decisions and completely de-railed our strong start to the season. Thankfully, neither of those clubs would win the league.

9 hours ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Covered West Terrace?

You mean the Rangers End.

On 27/11/2023 at 20:20, scam75 said:

Hamilton's "all weather" pitch paying dividends as far back as 1963, I'm surprised other clubs didn't embrace the idea much sooner..............

The way I heard it Bobby Shearer's father, who was the groundsman, used to keep the grass unusually long and that helped to stop the soil from freezing as much as it might have otherwise.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

On 30/11/2023 at 18:53, Flybhoy said:

Jock Stein in his playing days for Celtic against Manchester United in the semi finals of the Coronation Cup at Hampden in 1953, they were promptly dispatched as Arsenal had been the round before as an all Scottish final was the end result with Celtic beating Hibernian, an outcome that no doubt delighted the FA and English hierarchy at the time. 

Tottenham and Newcastle were the other English sides to compete with the Old Firm,Hibs and Aberdeen. 

"England sent four of the best, they didn't meet with much success as the trophy ended up in paradise...."

20231130_184712.jpg

Celtis were invited. Every other team had either won a trophy or had been a beaten finalist or semifinalist.

Probably the first example of "you can't have one without the other".

On 18/11/2023 at 13:08, Flybhoy said:

Paul McStay evades Andre Van Tiggelen at Euro 92 in Sweden, Scotland should have been in front by half time, two great chances fell to to the wrong players, Richard Gough and Dave McPherson both had loose balls land at their feet in the box at set pieces and both ballooned them over the bar, I think the player on the left is Philipe Cocu, that may be a young Edgar Davids on the right but not 100% sure.

Edit, on second look that left may be Wim Jonk on the left methinks.

FB_IMG_1700311637744.jpg

You're right about Wim Jonk, the Dutchman to the right is Frank Rijkaard.

20 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The way I heard it Bobby Shearer's father, who was the groundsman, used to keep the grass unusually long and that helped to stop the soil from freezing as much as it might have otherwise.

Should have added some pictures given the thread that is involved:

E6XSk8BXMAQre6X?format=jpg&name=900x900

E6XSlR_XsAAyM6Q?format=jpg&name=900x900