A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

1 hour ago, Molotov said:

The game against Costa Rica was where we really needed to win. How we never won is argued because Roxburgh chose the wrong strikeforce. The Italians couldn’t believe we were singing so passionately after the defeat. 

I can't believe it either.

That defeat was really shattering.  Why would anyone Scottish sing passionately in its wake?

16 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I can't believe it either.

That defeat was really shattering.  Why would anyone Scottish sing passionately in its wake?

I was there and I recall a stunned, sullen silence.   And the walk back down to the port area where there were dozens of coaches which had brought many Scots fans to Genoa was accompanied by a single drumbeat, which made it feel like Napoleon's retreat from Moscow.

1 minute ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I was there and I recall a stunned, sullen silence.   And the walk back down to the port area where there were dozens of coaches which had brought many Scots fans to Genoa was accompanied by a single drumbeat, which made it feel like Napoleon's retreat from Moscow.

That's more like it.

Surprised it hasn't been covered more widely (all I see is an article by Alan Patullo in The Scotsman) but tomorrow is 50th anniversary of senior Sunday football in Scotland.

Against background of Yom Kippur War and an oil shock the miners began an overtime ban in autumn 1973 - the government declared a state of emergency in mid-November (plus soon after banned floodlit sport btw). After the pitmen went on complete strike a Three Day Week began on 1st January 1974... with half the areas of the country working Thursday-Saturday... and a week after England, clubs in Scotland started moving games to Sunday from 27th January, beginning with Scottish Cup R3 ties.

Dixie Deans scored Scotland's inaugural first class Sunday goal - at Parkhead for Celtic v Clydebank.

Sunday games here ceased after 16th March with the end of the emergency. Interestingly thereafter we had surprisingly few Sunday games (and none of high profile) for many years... however from 1984 the League Cup Final was played on a Sunday - then from 1990s televised matches in top flight became progressively frequent, as well as occasional internationals.

Ironically there aren't any SPFL games tomorrow.

image.png.b85eb1549b1ff811861b528f4a8759db.png

cca87731c1746d194a30239f24a50b24

282ff44564e0b6a4f2c6a37091de6bc4

Edited by HibeeJibee

How football has changed and not even a magic sponge in sight. This is Arbroath left winger Bobby Christie going off with a broken nose in the first half of Arbroath’s 2-1 win at home to St Mirren in the old First Division on this day in 1938. No substitutes back then either. The league table in the report from the Arbroath Archive site shows Arbroath in 8th position, they finished 11th and St Mirren 12th, they finished 14th on 33 points along with 5 other clubs and Dundee ended up on 32 points and were relegated with bottom side Morton. Only 3 points separated 9th and 19th positions. 

https://www.arbroatharchive.co.uk/matchdetails.php?id=4056

IMG_1886.jpeg

Frank Kopel made his debut for Dundee United against Morton on this day in 1972. He wasn’t listed in the programme but started the first of his 407 competitive games for them. 

IMG_1887.png

On 27/01/2024 at 17:42, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Jock Stein's retreat from Milan.

IMG_7290.thumb.jpeg.92624554d6da68e86ffbc0d9643c6065.jpeg

Torrance, Stark and McGarvey.

IMG_7292.thumb.jpeg.ca4dde119b1aaa27c13d3e09e9d9d93f.jpeg47 years ago today Fergie convinced the referee to play this game. Notice the Saints players played in adidas Sambas. The pitch was rock hard with frost.

There were many more than 16K fans in the ground. 

Any United fans on here who were there that day? There was a bit of trouble pre match as they were “removed” from the old NorthBank.

14 minutes ago, Molotov said:

IMG_7290.thumb.jpeg.92624554d6da68e86ffbc0d9643c6065.jpeg

Torrance, Stark and McGarvey.

IMG_7292.thumb.jpeg.ca4dde119b1aaa27c13d3e09e9d9d93f.jpeg47 years ago today Fergie convinced the referee to play this game. Notice the Saints players played in adidas Sambas. The pitch was rock hard with frost.

There were many more than 16K fans in the ground. 

Any United fans on here who were there that day? There was a bit of trouble pre match as they were “removed” from the old NorthBank.

I was there, spent the whole match o the North Bank, recall reading stories of trouble with teenagers as much as an hour before the game within the ground, but apart from the usual movements after goals which were the norm on terraces at matches with larger attendances, there wasn't much out of the ordinary in my memory.

Having spent a while in the pub (Sheep's Heid) before kick off, I seemed to miss what was reported as bother later on and the next day. From what I remember, the left side of the enclosure was mainly populated by United fans for the entire match (well, until the 88th minute) and the video seems to bear that out.

5 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I was there, spent the whole match o the North Bank, recall reading stories of trouble with teenagers as much as an hour before the game within the ground, but apart from the usual movements after goals which were the norm on terraces at matches with larger attendances, there wasn't much out of the ordinary in my memory.

Having spent a while in the pub (Sheep's Heid) before kick off, I seemed to miss what was reported as bother later on and the next day. From what I remember, the left side of the enclosure was mainly populated by United fans for the entire match (well, until the 88th minute) and the video seems to bear that out.

There was no segregation fence back then in the NorthBank. It went up after promotion. The problems were in the right hand side of the NorthBank where I think some United fans had taken up pre match which was the traditional area for the home fans. 

I was in the Caledonia St/Greenock Rd end that match. 
IIRC at the time of that match United were flying high (possibly 1st) in the top flight. 

Was this defeat seen as a cup shock in Dundee after the game or did you think this Saints side was going to be a force to be reckoned with in later seasons?

3 hours ago, Molotov said:

Was this defeat seen as a cup shock in Dundee after the game or did you think this Saints side was going to be a force to be reckoned with in later seasons?

It was seen as a shock in my house, but I wasn't in Dundee in 1977. United had started the season well but had dipped and were down in fourth place. Leading up to the match I can't say I was overconfident, as away form had been patchy, but I expected a win.

Cup 'shocks' seemed commonplace to me back then, so I can't recall thinking St Mirren would go on to great things.

As it turned out, Fergie appears to have been the key to success.

Edited by Dundee Hibernian

On 27/01/2024 at 20:00, HibeeJibee said:

Surprised it hasn't been covered more widely (all I see is an article by Alan Patullo in The Scotsman) but tomorrow is 50th anniversary of senior Sunday football in Scotland.

The introduction of Sunday football was a great time for Dundee supporters. After knocking the Dons out of the Cup we won successive league games against Partick Thistle at Dens (4-1), Celtic at Parkhead (2-1) before thumping Rangers 3-0 in the next round of the Cup at Ibrox. The last game was watched by 64,672 with an estimated 10K Dees in attendance.

22 hours ago, Molotov said:

There was no segregation fence back then in the NorthBank. It went up after promotion. The problems were in the right hand side of the NorthBank where I think some United fans had taken up pre match which was the traditional area for the home fans. 

I was in the Caledonia St/Greenock Rd end that match. 
IIRC at the time of that match United were flying high (possibly 1st) in the top flight. 

I was living in Dundee then, and in the words of Arthur Montford, that result was seen as unbelievable. 

30 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I was living in Dundee then, and in the words of Arthur Montford, that result was seen as unbelievable. 

To be fair it was a shock in Paisley too This win really was the catalyst to go on and win the old 1st division and get promoted to the Fine Fare Premier League. 
Dundee were the favourites for the title that season but St Mirren and Clydebank went up instead. Personally I’d like to see two teams automatically get promoted/relegated to/from the top flight as it’s too stale currently imho. 
This was Fergies first domestic silverware. 
Great memories. It’s one of those match day experiences that never leaves you. 
Then we met Jim McLean’s older brother Willie team Motherwell at Fir Park in the next round who brutally destroyed our silky footballers. 
I learned the pleasures of booing that day! 😂 

@Molotov, the Buddies were two clear of Clydebank going into the cup game, and beat Dundee at home in their next league fixture. Don't think the Dee had topped the table since early in the season, although as you say they were favourites at the outset. 

There's a great app for Android phones on called 'Scottish Football League Info' which provides tables week by week over the seasons, and much more above, useful to confirm or more often deny memories of years gone by.

12 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

Ol' Blue Eyes meets Ol' Blue Nose.

Frank Sinatra can barely contain his excitement at meeting Graeme Souness at Ibrox.

image.png.fe2f15902220d50b04fc860ce1de8d39.png

souness.jpg.68770f3923439651f7539fb47c42bfc9.jpg

Rangers in the night, exchanging glances...

5 hours ago, Molotov said:

To be fair it was a shock in Paisley too This win really was the catalyst to go on and win the old 1st division and get promoted to the Fine Fare Premier League. 
Dundee were the favourites for the title that season but St Mirren and Clydebank went up instead. Personally I’d like to see two teams automatically get promoted/relegated to/from the top flight as it’s too stale currently imho. 
This was Fergies first domestic silverware. 
Great memories. It’s one of those match day experiences that never leaves you. 
Then we met Jim McLean’s older brother Willie team Motherwell at Fir Park in the next round who brutally destroyed our silky footballers. 
I learned the pleasures of booing that day! 😂 

Paisley softies, it was a man's game back then.