A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

1 hour ago, rollstar said:

I'd say the lower picture there, of the English cup final, is an unusually good action shot for 1905, it's easy to imagine being there. I mean compare it with the picture of the Third Lanark team, which isn't even an action shot but it looks like it could have been taken in 1880.

But what really shows that the past is a foreign country, is the fact that the Newcastle keeper is wearing the same strip as his team mates. Until right now I would never have guessed that that lasted into the 20th century, but googling reveals that it was only his cap which showed that he was the keeper. I am astounded!

Copied the English picture from Wikipedia page about that Final. Here is a film of a Preston North End v Aston Villa game in 1905 where you can  only tell the keeper by their cap. The PNE goalie is probably Peter McBride who was from Ayr and played played over 400 games for PNE between 1896 and 1912. He also played 6 times for Scotland. 

13 hours ago, Eednud said:

IMG_1998.jpeg

10 hours ago, rollstar said:

I'd say the lower picture there, of the English cup final, is an unusually good action shot for 1905, it's easy to imagine being there. I mean compare it with the picture of the Third Lanark team, which isn't even an action shot but it looks like it could have been taken in 1880.

But what really shows that the past is a foreign country, is the fact that the Newcastle keeper is wearing the same strip as his team mates. Until right now I would never have guessed that that lasted into the 20th century, but googling reveals that it was only his cap which showed that he was the keeper. I am astounded!

If people think Hampden has bad sightlines consider the view most spectators got of that FA Cup Final in the old Crystal Palace ground:

1920px-CrystalPalace1905.jpg

Note also the hoarding promoting:

image.png.72753ccb708a9a59fd957ffaf83e22fd.png

image.png.4866951f2ec956635e9cf961265b4c3a.png
image.png.e0ad77c80b1b4fece138e75e3d6c0e6f.png

among varied fare:

image.thumb.png.62d96f71d44e8798ce9313dd11b3f3c5.png

Edited by HibeeJibee

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

If people think Hampden has bad sightlines consider the view most spectators got of that FA Cup Final in the old Crystal Palace ground:

Just above that hoarding in there are some people up a tree that doesn’t look as safe as some on other trees. Might just be the quality of picture playing tricks.

This is from the Evening Telegraph of Monday 18 April 1910. It has a report and a report and a couple of grainy pics of the Dundee 0 Clyde 0 Scottish Cup Final Replay but quite a few bits about other games on the Saturday. I’ve included the Dee Archive link in case it’s too difficult to read. 
https://www.deearchive.co.uk/matchdetails.php?id=570

IMG_2001.jpeg

51 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Screenshot_20240416-072545_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.e89248ec4048329fac5f67d6ec60be64.jpg

I had always assumed the cut out bit from the main stand was done at the same time as reconstruction, but clearly not. Anyone know why it was/is there? 

Those cherry pick cameras were always the sign of a big game. Probably stopped becoming a thing mid 90's I think. Assume reconstruction of stands and fixed camera positions was the reason or was the big view from above just not deemed necessary? 

29 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

I had always assumed the cut out bit from the main stand was done at the same time as reconstruction, but clearly not. Anyone know why it was/is there? 

Those cherry pick cameras were always the sign of a big game. Probably stopped becoming a thing mid 90's I think. Assume reconstruction of stands and fixed camera positions was the reason or was the big view from above just not deemed necessary? 

Do you mean the bit far right of the stand?

It's due to the houses behind, there's an underpass underneath the stand for access from Rugby Road gates. 

38 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Do you mean the bit far right of the stand?

It's due to the houses behind, there's an underpass underneath the stand for access from Rugby Road gates. 

Aye, the right hand side of the main stand. Now you mention it, I do remember you pass under the stand there. Looks like maybe at some point in the past the stand went right down to the front there. Just that I see in that pic, the front bit of stand is missing, but thought the houses were built after that. 

1 hour ago, Theyellowbox said:

What do you mean by cut out bit of the main stand?

The stand Squirrelhumper is referring to is the East Stand, which is opposite the main stand. 

6 minutes ago, paul wright scores said:

What do you mean by cut out bit of the main stand?

The stand Squirrelhumper is referring to is the East Stand, which is opposite the main stand. 

If you look from the pitch towards the main stand at Rugby park, the last section (towards the away stand) is missing the front section and has a first aid bit. Looks like in the past it maybe had seats right to pitch side there, but notice it was like that in old photo too. The section in the pic here. 

rugby-park-kilmarnock-fc-frank-beattie-stand-1430855779.webp

Edited by Theyellowbox

3 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

Aye, the right hand side of the main stand. Now you mention it, I do remember you pass under the stand there. Looks like maybe at some point in the past the stand went right down to the front there. Just that I see in that pic, the front bit of stand is missing, but thought the houses were built after that. 

Houses defo there long after the stadium but footprint of the stadium always been like that. 

This photo below is before the houses. 

Rugby Park Kilmarnock | An aerial view of Rugby Park in the ...

33 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Houses defo there long after the stadium but footprint of the stadium always been like that. 

This photo below is before the houses. 

Rugby Park Kilmarnock | An aerial view of Rugby Park in the ...

That wee Johnny Walker cover was some noise amplifier.

Strange that it was the away end at that time.

Frank McDougall giving a right GIRFUY to Craig Patterson.

Of course ref Brian McGinlay awarded Rangers (1872) a goal in the last minute of ET in the replay which didn't cross the line.

May he be spit roasted in hell.

Edited by Arch Stanton