A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

Decided I could do a bit better than the above :lol: Below is what I posted on the Arbroath thread:

Today's On This Day post is as follows:

On This Day in 1925 we beat King's Park 2-1 a Second Division match at Gayfield with Bob McFarlane and Bob Black scoring our goals

This was the last game played at 'Old Gayfield' with the pitch being moved and the entire ground rebuilt that summer. We played 560 competitive matches at the 'old' ground, and at least another 417 friendlies all of which are detailed in our archive!

image.jpeg.a6ec9ffc202860b1ca25908a3dc88596.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.35d1bbf23c2fb56f97b9284762a8190f.jpeg

The main reason for posting this one is I don't think it's particuarly well known that we 'moved' ground in the summer of 1925, and even when it is many don't know why/ where the 'old' ground is in relation to the new one.

image.jpeg.6b29bdcc81a270039e3fa084ccb32d13.jpeg

Above is a picture taken during the aforementioned game - one of the only, and certainly by far and away the best, picture I have of the 'old' ground. The big hill behind the goal closest to camera is the 'Tatties Nook' end which was favoured by the home fans.

Below is a picture showing the two grounds on one plan; the dotted line below being the 'old' ground and the ground we've all known in our lifetimes is the one on top, the shape is ever so recognisable 99 years later :D

image.jpeg.3fdcc3aa30e3f0063d9823d8be0031e8.jpeg

From here on in, the majority of this is from memory so I may be slightly off with certain bits...

One side of the ground couldn't be used at all due to the proximity to the road and with the school also being right on the opposite side of the road this couldn't be changed. There are various mentions in reports of players being smashed into the wall with it being just a few feet from the edge of the pitch.... :lol: 

The main stand at the old ground, clearly shown in the picture, was taken to the 'new' ground and sat opposite the new main stand (the one we still use today). You can see part of the old main stand sitting where it did at the 'new' ground in the picture below, taken in 1950.

image.jpeg.da4682bd8d0df8edd27720d4894f3d51.jpeg

Why did I use this picture to show that stand instead of the other ones that show it fully? The wall! ;)

I think, and this is my theory/ opinion as opposed to something I have factual evidence to confirm, that the wall closest to where the photo is taken above may be the only part of 'old' Gayfield that was kept and formed part of the 'new' ground. The photo from 1925 and the one from 1950 would be showing the same wall opposite Ladyloan School. The old main stand that was moved was demolished sometime in the 1950s IIRC (maybe 60s) and the wall was fully redeveloped just a few years ago.

Follow us on Twitter or Facebook to see more of this sort of stuff ;) 

Thistle get centenary underway with Scottish shout out and a nine-goal thriller

posted in: Club noticeboard, Events, Heritage, News | 

Members and supporters of Poverty Bay’s Gisborne Thistle have been celebrating the club’s 100th anniversary over Easter, drawing messages of congratulations from near and afar.

While Thistle hosted a Good Friday mix and mingle at their Roebuck Road base, Scottish Championship club Partick Thistle gave them a long-range shout out, celebrating the links between them.

“When founded in 1924 by an exiled Scot, Jock MacLean, he named them after Partick Thistle, hence the name Gisborne Thistle,” Partick Thistle told their supporters through their website.

“Remarkably, 100 years on, as they celebrate their special anniversary with a series of events this weekend, Gisborne Thistle’s current head coach is none other than Tam Cramer, a Glasgow-born Partick Thistle supporter now living in New Zealand.”

Partick Thistle manager Kris Doolan, captain Brian Graham and first team players Scott Robinson and Blair Alston recorded messages for all at Gisborne Thistle to enjoy as part of their celebrations.

“This is a club we can all take to our hearts and send our very best wishes to from Maryhill to the east coast of New Zealand this weekend,” Partick Thistle said.

Gisborne Thistle’s celebrations continue on Easter Saturday with games at Childers Road Reserve and an evening dinner, with live band, at the Gisborne Cosmopolitan Club.

On the pitch, Thistle’s first team provided spectators with plenty of Friday entertainment, losing a nine-goal thriller to Palmerston North United in the first round of the Lotto Federation Cup.

The game was streamed by the club. (In case anyone wants to watch it there”s a link to the game in the following link)

https://www.friendsoffootballnz.com/2024/03/30/thistle-get-centenary-underway-with-scottish-shout-out-and-a-nine-goal-thriller/

IMG_1983.jpeg

On 28/03/2024 at 02:58, Eednud said:

Think the photo is from the Aberdeen 3 Hibs 0 Scottish Cup QF replay in March 1967.

IMG_1973.jpeg

Correct

stirlingfeb2017.thumb.jpg.7683142f68ec8c1b75710c2d63cfc320.jpg

Stirling Albion v Edinburgh City, February 2017. City's on-loan No 3 is now a Scotland International. I think the others have all retired now, except for Number 17 who is at Civil Service Strollers. 

14 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Dens and Tannadice earlier this month viewed from Main Street looking over the site of the Bowbridge Jute Works.

ViewofDensandTannadicefromMainStreetlookingovertheBowbridgeWorkssite..thumb.jpg.9f84f77a09fef3b3e48989d6ab56616c.jpg

From 1927, aerial view of the Bowbridge Jute Works with Dens and Tannadice uppermost.

BowbridgeJuteWorks.thumb.png.350e5e5dc92143c3aa6bcc0778f117e5.png

image.png.bc1d325893222d4929e54892de3a7ba1.png

On 22/03/2024 at 12:38, Arch Stanton said:

36 years ago, the last Renfrewshire derby to be played in the top division.

Remember it well. I was behind that goal.

St Mirren were flirting with relegation and we had been assured of it since around November. The home fans were singing "You're coming down with us" prior to kick-off.

Two first half howlers from David Wylie gifted Saints a 2-0 win.

On 30/03/2024 at 10:36, Jacksgranda said:

Correct

44,000 there that night.  Landed about 9 rows in front of my Dad after that goal, we were in the King Street end.  My first cup replay, 9 years old at the time, great memories.

I was there too at 12 years old . I have no memory of it, but my Dad told me years later that all I did was moan as I couldn't see anything  apart from some guys back.

On 27/03/2024 at 20:56, Dundee Hibernian said:

Scotland u23s, 1971:

Scotlandu231971.thumb.jpg.0cd387d713a3c8a5a52e30a2e9cea5ea.jpg

I've seen this photo before but have just noticed for the first time that John McGovern, then of Derby County, was in the squad. Makes it all the more intriguing that this gifted player never won a full cap.

On 30/03/2024 at 23:23, tamthebam said:

stirlingfeb2017.thumb.jpg.7683142f68ec8c1b75710c2d63cfc320.jpg

Stirling Albion v Edinburgh City, February 2017. City's on-loan No 3 is now a Scotland International. I think the others have all retired now, except for Number 17 who is at Civil Service Strollers. 

i think i was probably at that. 

checked out the lineups and that makes me feel better about today's team.  Only Ross McGeachie remains in the side from that team and i'd say we are a much better side today than then. Darren Young has proved to be a far better manager for us than Dave McKay.

Aaron Dunsmore was in the EC lineup that day. he hasn't retired and had been with us the last two seasons before moving out on loan recently.