A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 19/03/2024 at 09:02, Boghead ranter said:

Screenshot_20240319-090055_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.103edfc40d38ef034c02340720c96872.jpg

I've noticed on a couple of sites older pics of non-league clubs in Scotland and England that have built stands to one side of the halfway line for no obvious reason. Presumably there is one but it's never been apparent. They just look wrong.

6 minutes ago, Charles Stiles said:

I've noticed on a couple of sites older pics of non-league clubs in Scotland and England that have built stands to one side of the halfway line for no obvious reason. Presumably there is one but it's never been apparent. They just look wrong.

That looks like there's been terracing at the far end that's been removed.

47 minutes ago, Charles Stiles said:

I believe Inverness City played at a ground which wasn't built for football originally and where the goal line was halfway down the stand. How's that for wrong! 

Martin Buchan testimonial between Manchester United and Aberdeen in 1983 as Sir Fergie of Govan and Ron the racist lead out their respective sides with the trophies from the previous seasons, Aberdeen's Scottish and ECW cups and Utd's FA cup.

FB_IMG_1711367861350.jpg

John Wark was a player I thought was criminally underrated in the 1980's, as someone with a soft spot for Liverpool I was a big fan of his, scored 24 goals from midfield in 84/85 not a single penalty. 

Another highly successful Scottish International from that era who never played a game for a senior Scottish side along with the likes of Alan Brazil, the Nottingham forest version of John Robertson, Peter Lorimer, Frank Gray and a few others I cant instantly recall at this minute. 

FB_IMG_1711124129981.jpg

Alan Rough got the lucky draw in this strip launch for Scotland before the 1982 World Cup. Not a chance this kind of thing would be even considered today, sadly using attractive girls in kit launches or at the beginning of Grand Prix's and at the stage walk in the darts is deemed offensive.... it all started with Soccer AM binning the 'Soccerette" in my opinion. 

FB_IMG_1711399194190.jpg

On 17/03/2024 at 23:05, Dundee Hibernian said:

Something for everyone in this photograph from the 1994 Cup Final.

20240317_141736.thumb.jpg.b53c7462b04ad65939c29f8969957230.jpg

I cannot see a Dundee shirt there, I know we are shit in the cup but surely we can make a photo? 🙂

40 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

John Wark was a player I thought was criminally underrated in the 1980's, as someone with a soft spot for Liverpool I was a big fan of his, scored 24 goals from midfield in 84/85 not a single penalty. 

Another highly successful Scottish International from that era who never played a game for a senior Scottish side along with the likes of Alan Brazil, the Nottingham forest version of John Robertson, Peter Lorimer, Frank Gray and a few others I cant instantly recall at this minute. 

FB_IMG_1711124129981.jpg

I was also a big fan of John Wark who was an outstanding footballer however I’m pretty sure he scored at least a couple of penalties during the 84/85 season.

1 hour ago, Flybhoy said:

FB_IMG_1711124129981.jpg

I don't think he was underrated, certainly not down south. 

I was a teen when he was picked by his fellow pros as the PFA player of the year 1980/81 and followed his career because he is a Scot. He did brilliantly for Ipswich and Liverpool, scored way more goals than he should have.

I think he was maybe not as much of celebrity name or got as much press in Scotland as a player like the OF players did, most likely down to him never playing in Scotland domestically. 

He was definitely rated in England. 

Not sure if this has been posted before but it’s the cover of programme from the Clyde v Dundee Scottish Cup Semi Final at Easter Road in 1949. Game ended 2-2 with Clyde winning the replay 2-1. What is odd is they have a photograph on the cover instead of the usual drawing. what is odder is the photograph is from England v Switzerland game earlier that season. The programme for the other Semi Final between Rangers and East Fife used the same photo.

IMG_1976.jpeg

15 hours ago, eindhovendee said:

I cannot see a Dundee shirt there, I know we are shit in the cup but surely we can make a photo? 🙂

I'm not seeing Queens represented there either, despite 46 others making it.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

16 hours ago, eindhovendee said:

It had me fooled for a while as well. Dusan Vrto second in from the right in the second back row wearing the away kit for some reason

16 hours ago, eindhovendee said:

Believe Dundee is under Airdrie at the top right

120294-premier-division-st-johnstone-v-d

Edit: beaten to it

23 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm not seeing Queens represented there either, despite 46 others making it.

My best guess for Queens is right in the middle of the top row, based on the sponsor and the stripe on the collar:

Screenshot2024-03-26134937.png.84d00c78a279f8af6a05cde644e8fdb9.png

Edited by LiviLion

11 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

Believe Dundee is under Airdrie at the top right

120294-premier-division-st-johnstone-v-d

Edit: beaten to it

My best guess for Queens is right in the middle of the top row, based on the sponsor and the stripe on the collar:

Screenshot2024-03-26134937.png.84d00c78a279f8af6a05cde644e8fdb9.png

Ah, good spot.  It's Tommy Bryce.

17 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Another testimonial, from 1980 and no introduction needed for these three legends before Danny's match against Liverpool. 

20240325_132208.jpg

Brian McGinley, three boyhood Rangers fans and a stout yeoman of a linesman ?