A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

2 hours ago, Eednud said:

On this day in 1987 Dundee United made it 4 wins out of 4 against Barcelona.

thanks, 4 days before I had never felt so devastated . Dundee Utd scoring a penalty in the  90th minute to go 2-2. John 'fucking' Clarke handball, while a defender standing behind him to header it off  the line.

Better than Barca

16 hours ago, HoBNob said:

IMG-20240317-WA0008.thumb.jpg.580e05e46abb9b0a43ef43ddad92c570.jpg

By any chance would anyone recognise the team in the above photo? Bonus points for the season. 

the cup looks vaguely familiar- could it be Pollok? 

3 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

thanks, 4 days before I had never felt so devastated . Dundee Utd scoring a penalty in the  90th minute to go 2-2. John 'fucking' Clarke handball, while a defender standing behind him to header it off  the line.

Better than Barca

Impressed that Ian Ferguson and the United team didn't celebrate the 90th minute equaliser against their lower league opposition. 

10 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

the cup looks vaguely familiar- could it be Pollok? 

Honestly, I don't know. 

I don't think it's a senior club because I don't recognise the cups. But that's as far as I got. 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Cheers matey, just after posting it on the Pollok thread I thought to do a reverse Google image search and it came up with that website 😂 thank you none the less, appreciated 👍

A mates relative was in a care home and one of the other residents had the photo but they didn't know where it came from, that photo has the names though, perfect. 

1 hour ago, Boghead ranter said:

Screenshot_20240319-090055_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.103edfc40d38ef034c02340720c96872.jpg

About 30 years ago now, ground was hired out to 2 amateur teams, might have been a Sunday in the summer. A young fella was murdered in some sort of gang feud at the game.

Should clarify this had nothing to do with Rutherglen Glencairn whatsoever, they only hired the pitch out.

Was a couple of instances of over the top behaviour in the 1980/90s at Junior grounds but not involving Junior teams, maybe not in the same scale as a murder but enough for the Evening Times to report it.

This is the front page of the Hibs v Dundee programme from 20 March 1954 (2-0, 23,000). I think the photograph might be from the 1952/53 League Cup Semi Final played at Tynecastle which Dundee won 2-1 (44,200) on way to defeating Kilmarnock in the Final. The Hibs players on the right are Willie Ormond and Gordon Smith, I think the goalie is Bobby Henderson but don’t recognise any of the others. Anyone confirm it is the LC SF? @HibeeJibee?

IMG_1962.jpeg

Edited by Eednud

Celtic's two Polish signings from 1989, the two 'Dariusz'...

Dzeikanowski will probably be best remembered for his four goal salvo against Partisan Belgrade that year when in typical Celtic style we still managed to make a c**t of it and go out of Europe despite scoring five at home that night, other than that he flattered to deceive despite his obvious talent and left a couple of years later with an appalling miss against the Paris Buns in the dying moments of the 1990 League cup final, which we lost in extra time  being the final straw for Billy McNeil who punted him to Bristol City just afterwards, allegedly pumped Hazel Irvine and Shereen Nanjiani so did at least do a bit of damage in his time in Glasgow. 

'Shuggie' Wdowczyk actually stayed for four years, a rocket of a shot with his left peg and a decent ball playing defender who could play full back or centre half but a bit injury prone and zero pace, I seem to recall Mark Hateley ragdolling him on more than one occasion, missed his penalty against Aberdeen in the 1990 Scottish Cup final shoot out which is almost forgotten since everyone remembers Anton Rogan's miss primarily, a decent player but, like many of that era not up to it compared to the players on the other side of the city. 

FB_IMG_1710769355643.jpg

Edited by Flybhoy