A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

56 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Celtic beat Leeds United 1-0 in the first leg of the 1970 European Cup semi final at Elland Road, in the return at Hampden a Billy Bremner goal levelled the tie, here Jack Charlton is helpless as John Hughes equalises on the night before Bobby Murdoch sealed a 3-1 aggregate win shortly after. 

How rammed does the crowd look, over 130,000 there that night including my old dad.

FB_IMG_1568318703514.jpg

What was the reason for the return leg being played at Hampden and not Celtic Park? 

1 minute ago, Desp said:

What was the reason for the return leg being played at Hampden and not Celtic Park? 

££££ 

Hampden could take almost double the capacity of Celtic Park in that era, the first leg of the World Club Championship against Racing Club of Argentina in 1968 was also played at the national stadium, before my era but I'd like to think the demand for those fixtures and safety concerns over Celtic Park not being big enough may have been factors but, knowing Celtic and the SFA it was probably simply due to money and maximising gate receipts. 

24 minutes ago, Desp said:

More than likely so many people wanted to see the game they moved to to Hampden, which was massive then.

There were a lot of fans from other Scottish teams there - my brother-in -law and a good number of his mates, all Rangers fans came down from Ardrishaig to watch the game. 

Edited by paul wright scores

10 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Celtic beat Leeds United 1-0 in the first leg of the 1970 European Cup semi final at Elland Road, in the return at Hampden a Billy Bremner goal levelled the tie, here Jack Charlton is helpless as John Hughes equalises on the night before Bobby Murdoch sealed a 3-1 aggregate win shortly after. 

How rammed does the crowd look, over 130,000 there that night including my old dad.

FB_IMG_1568318703514.jpg

The was four days after Aberdeen beat Celtic 3.1 in the 1970 Scottish Cup Final, which my first time in Glasgow, never mind Hampden. 108,000 on the Saturday in Hampden and 136,500  on the Wednesday.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

The was four days after Aberdeen beat Celtic 3.1 in the 1970 Scottish Cup Final, which my first time in Glasgow, never mind Hampden. 108,000 on the Saturday in Hampden and 136,500  on the Wednesday.

and 10 days later 137,438 were there for 0-0 against England. 

9 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

UEFA U18 European Champions 198269992228_10220662361295847_1343496857162088448_n.jpeg

Apparently Scotland's only piece of major silverware at any level.  Wasn't really aware of it, article on it here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40076061

Top left Andy Roxburgh.

Bottom right working towards the middle: Pat Nevin, Colin Hendry, Paul McStay ??

Edited by PauloPerth