A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

4 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Unfortunately, I never visited Muriton Park although I'm fairly sure I was outside if it was in the middle of a housing estate . I heard there was a lot of trouble at the cup tie with the Dons in 1988 including an incident with a firework.

I attended this game as a youngster but don't recall a firework incident. There was, however, loads of fighting before and after the match.

I'm sure Aberdeen paid for the installation of a segregation fence to increase the capacity of Muirton.

2 hours ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

I read Archie's biography of Jock Stein last summer and I agree it's a fantastic pice of work, his best in my opinion. I've read a couple of other books he has written and wasn't so impressed.

Absolutely loved Arthur, especially for Scotland games, a real fan with a microphone. His commentary against Czechoslovakia when we qualified for the '74 World Cup was just brilliant and full of emotion. 'Disaster for Scotland' when the Czechs opened the scoring, a phrase that's been repeated over the years often. Then when Denis Law had a chance late in the game he couldn't help himself - 'it's a great chance for Law, c'mon Denis' 😄

Look out Denis ?

7 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

I remember Archie walking passed a McD’s in Bremen and the whole place singing ‘Archie Archie’, he then came in to wish us all the best, seemed a decent guy at the time.  

Unsurprising if you all supported Celtic

3 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

I remember Archie walking passed a McD’s in Bremen and the whole place singing ‘Archie Archie’, he then came in to wish us all the best, seemed a decent guy at the time.  

Oh he lives and breathes the Gruesome Twosome... His autobiography accompanied me on a trip from Helsinki to Copenhagen and everything seemed to relate back to the Uglies. I suppose they have kept him in employment for a large swathe of his working life. Ironically it was his time at Eurosport I found most interesting although I enjoyed the book. 

Actually, I flew to Helsinki from Copenhagen at the start, and there were Celtic fans coming through the airport as they were playing Malmo that evening. 

Edited by Bogbrush1903

On 14/02/2021 at 22:11, Dundee Hibernian said:

Went past the old site a couple of months ago, and spotted the Atlantis pub, right across the road from Singer station. Quite a few times I'd get stuck in there and miss large swathes, or all, of the match.

atlantis nov 20.jpg

A better view, or more recognisable IMO, plus new kilbowie with Wet Wet Wet floodlights 

F6A9B712-24BC-4E71-AB0E-79E9E72B2C0D.jpeg

5CE3CB62-1566-414C-AB1D-587AD159AF6F.jpeg

On 26/01/2018 at 01:07, IggyStooge said:

Think that must have been 1991, Flybhoy. Probably celebrating the fact that all three age groups qualified for their respective Euro 92 tournaments. We played Germany at all three. A famous 4-3 victory coming for the U21s in the quarter-finals, knocking the Germans out after being 1-3 down with 20 mins to play, (5-4 aggregate) Lambert scoring against future team-mate Stefan Klos.

Here's a scene from the usual hard luck story from the full side in Sweden. I do know we proved to have harder skulls than Die Mannschaft that day as I remember Reuter, Buchwald and possibly Effenberg all going off after clashes with Gough, who shrugged the challenges off and played the 90.

92-5.jpg

Strachan captained the team through the qualifying campaign but had to finally retire in 1991 because of sciatica - after qualification was achieved. Quite noble of him really. :angel

So here's one of my favourites:

strachan-scotland-goal_1986_I.jpg

That 4-3 win for the under 21's was at Pittodrie - one of the greatest games I have ever witnessed.

Incredibly I was playing in a Upper Donside summer league match the next night and wore Stefan Klos' jersey from the night before....it hadn;t even been washed.  Our managers brother Paul Mathers was on the bench that night (think Michael Watt was in goals) Paul swapped jerseys with Klos at the end of the game and hence I ended up wearing it for a full game 24 hours later

The two commentators I first remember as a lad, Montford hung up the microphone early 80's to do the studio anchor role for Scotsport to make way for Jock Brown, if I'm correct Arthur Montford lived into his early 90's before he passed away about ten years ago. 
Archie McPherson is still living and only retired about a decade ago, he still pops up now and again in the papers or on telly with some rather odd and bizarre rants about society, he was a very accomplished writer as well...wrote quite a few books on football, his biography of Jock Stein was a brilliant piece of work, he must be about 160 years old now. 

Now this is one for the older posters.
Does anyone remember Brian Marsjbanks (I’m sure there was a j in there) pronounced Marshbanks who presented Sportreel ?
Struggling to find anything on the internet.

1 minute ago, Jumbo Muir said:

Now this is one for the older posters.
Does anyone remember Brian Marsjbanks (I’m sure there was a j in there) pronounced Marshbanks who presented Sportreel ?
Struggling to find anything on the internet.

Marjoribanks

28 minutes ago, BillyAnchor said:

When did the fence go in? I remember as a young boy probably 1976/77 ish going to Love St with Thistle and there was running battles all game on that terrace and no fence.

The fence was installed for the start of the 77/78 season, our first in the Premier Division.

It was installed because in the pervious season Dundee United fans arrived early and tried to take the North Bank. They went home yelping after an eviction and a 4-1 scudding.

ETA...

Edited by Arch Stanton

14 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

North bank at Love Street 1970’s

D66ADE0D-226A-4AC8-945A-C10063EF0562.jpeg

My school used to get free tickets for St Mirren games in the mid to late nineties, but they were always for the big stand that would be to the left of that photo. Obviously it was all-seated at the time but the area where those fans are congregated was the same place that had the loudest fans/best atmosphere and in my naivety I would always hope that the tickets were going to be for that area of the ground, not knowing about season tickets etc. at 7 years old. Unfortunately never got to attend a game in any of the other stands. 

Just out of interest after seeing the segregation fence, is the area to the left of that photo where they away fans went? I’m unsure when the stand at the Caledonia Street end got built, but it must have been before the time of strict building regulations, because the steepness of that stand was ridiculous. I would go down to the concourse behind the goals during the game to meet up with pals from school, and I could have done with a Sherpa and an oxygen tank to get back up to the pie stalls at the top. 

10 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

The fence was installed for the start of the 77/78 season, our first in the Premier Division.

It was installed because in the pervious season Dundee United fans arrived early and tried to take the North Bank. They went home yelping after an eviction and a 4-1 scudding.

ETA...

My first ever Saints game.