A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

"Would you rather have a day out in Ayr or Dumbarton?" was the question put to the re-election committee. .

Isn't the Glasgow Charity Cup on show in the People's Palace? I'm sure I've seen it in a museum.

I have seen it in a museum. Funnily enough it was the Scottish Football Museum...

What a tube!

17 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Looks more than 28,000, but, according to the AFC Heritage site it was 28,000. (28,527 to be precise.)

ETA: A lot of interesting stuff about the match on that site. but I can't copy and paste it for some reason.

http://afcheritage.org/matches/fixtures/mreport.cfm?fixture_id=1535&season=1930-31&squad=Senior

In case you face the same issue in the future, if you right click on the web page, and choose View Page Source, you can see the page in it's raw coded form and copy text from there...

So here's an extract from the page...My first ever job was with Mr Hall and Mr Tawse at Grantiehill Road in the late summer of 1991. I made my one and only trip to Broomfield during this period to watch Aberdeen beat Airdrieonians 2-1.

"Workmen engaged on the repair of the Aberdeen aqueduct, in the employment of William Tawse, Ltd saw the match at Pittodrie without penalty of dismissal after all.
Some of them wanted to go to Dundee last Saturday, but were told that if they absented themselves from the job they would be dismissed. At the same time their overseer gave qualified promise that a certain number might get off to see the match at Pittodrie in the event of a replay.

When this was explained to Mr Tawse he decided that the promise should be honoured, although he expressed astonishment that men who were on unemployment relief work should be so ready to sacrifice half a day's wages besides paying for admission to Pittodrie - between 5s and 6s - in order to watch a football match."

Edited by Bogbrush1903

5 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

In case you face the same issue in the future, if you right click on the web page, and choose View Page Source, you can see the page in it's raw coded form and copy text from there...

I'll never remember that, but thanks all the same!

(Does the link I posted take you to the relevant page of match reports and info?)

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

The picture is actually included with the match reports etc.

😄...Indeed, I've no idea how I managed to miss that

I wasn't aware that we once had that smashing clubhouse in the area where the Wing Stand once stood. It reminds me on the clubhouse that use to be in Landsdowne Road. It was underneath the cameras that were focused on the pitch so was rarely seen on TV

Landsdowne_Road.jpg.a66ecb7478d73fc57bc2d0756f4b91cc.jpg

Edited by Bogbrush1903

4 hours ago, Lurkst said:

John Brogan also played in both the Saintees and Accies ties v Rangers.

Ironically, and I didn't know when I typed his name, but the team also included Kevin McKee who I mistook for Joe Tortolano earlier in the thread!!!

Here is Adrian Sprott and co celebrating with that f@cking c@nt Fergie (I jest)....Although I'm a Dandy Don through and through, I've always had a soft spot for the Accies, possibly stemming from this result in 1987. I remember the UK wide BBC News 9pm Saturday night programme showing the goals (1-2 I think) of them losing at home to Motherwell in the next round. The cameraman looked like he was capturing the action from the touchline it was so low.

GL887583.jpg.2aca54a5f8dce3ad12ff5b4154f398da.jpg

Edited by Bogbrush1903

I had been working in Turriff 83-86 and became a Dons regular, pitying the Dundee, Hibs etc fans trudging over the dunes to the Beach End to get an inevitable beating. 
By 87, I was back in the west watching Accies lose all over the country.

That day, we should have scored a second, Gerry Collins falling over his feet, with an open goal.

Rangers, mind you, could have scored a hatful. Incidentally, we had our two best footballers, Gerry McCabe and Alex Taylor on the bench that day.

3 hours ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

A while back I was doing some media work for Raith Rovers at Ibrox, the bold Archie sat next to me and tore Kenny Miller to shreds 'legs gone, the boy's done' etc. two weeks later they extended his contract.

I've said it before but Archie MacPherson is, was, and always will be an arsehole. The way folk make him out as some sort of doyen of Scottish football is embarrassing.

3 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

😄...Indeed, I've no idea how I managed to miss that

I wasn't aware that we once had that smashing clubhouse in the area where the Wing Stand once stood. It reminds me on the clubhouse that use to be in Landsdowne Road. It was underneath the cameras that were focused on the pitch so was rarely seen on TV

Landsdowne_Road.jpg.a66ecb7478d73fc57bc2d0756f4b91cc.jpg

There were actually two Clubhouses in the old Lansdowne Road. The one in that photo is Wanderers FC ( three of whose members won VCs in the Great War). The other one was at the other end of that stand and was Lansdowne FC. (Both clubs are Rugby Clubs, founded before the codes split, so they don't use the "R".

By the way,the top deck of that stand was above the Mainline railway.

5 hours ago, TonyTaylor said:

I had been working in Turriff 83-86 and became a Dons regular, pitying the Dundee, Hibs etc fans trudging over the dunes to the Beach End to get an inevitable beating. 
By 87, I was back in the west watching Accies lose all over the country.

That day, we should have scored a second, Gerry Collins falling over his feet, with an open goal.

Rangers, mind you, could have scored a hatful. Incidentally, we had our two best footballers, Gerry McCabe and Alex Taylor on the bench that day.

You might've been able to see the Accies at Pittodrie in August 1986 then? I first saw the Accies at Pittodrie on the 15th April 1989 (which was the same afternoon the tragic events at Hillsborough were unfolding although I had saw them play at Tannidice the previous November.

The Souness slayer, Adrian Sprott, would return to haunt The Dons with another memorable (well not a fond memory for me though) Scottish Cup giant killing act with the toppling of Roy Aitken's Aberdeen at Ochilview in 1995...Below Aitken looks a condemned man whilst Drew Jarvie looks like he's seen a ghost (sprint coach Stuart Hogg is the third man)..

image.jpg.27d3ae29cb9aa5a318af901245ffae91.jpg

5 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

The Souness slayer, Adrian Sprott, would return to haunt The Dons with another memorable (well not a fond memory for me though) Scottish Cup giant killing act with the toppling of Roy Aitken's Aberdeen at Ochilview in 1995...Below Aitken looks a condemned man whilst Drew Jarvie looks like he's seen a ghost (sprint coach Stuart Hogg is the third man)..

Tommy Steele got a double that day: he could turn on half a sixpence.

3 hours ago, Piquet said:

There were actually two Clubhouses in the old Lansdowne Road. The one in that photo is Wanderers FC ( three of whose members won VCs in the Great War). The other one was at the other end of that stand and was Lansdowne FC. (Both clubs are Rugby Clubs, founded before the codes split, so they don't use the "R".

By the way,the top deck of that stand was above the Mainline railway.

Ah, I never knew there were two clubhouses. A shame that they knocked the place down. I'm not sure if the place ever had floodlights. I happened to be watching an 1983 Euro qualifying match between the Republic and The Netherlands and it was played at Bohs Dalymount Park presumably because of the evening kick-off. It was insane, a huge amount of fans watching from roof of one particular stand ( a small number seen in the picture below)

Apologies, this isn't part of the photographic history of Scottish football...

Et82lXjWQAUiH5c.thumb.jpg.81fcdf4ab68a1b186ff4e492a46872b7.jpg

17 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Theo Snelders all at sea for the first. His best days behind him, he was soon off to suck the teats off the Oldco cash cow...

Fair play to Stenny though, this is what the game is all about (or was formerly all about)....

Edited by Bogbrush1903

5 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Pele and a Lisbon Lion. 

IMG_20210219_182434.jpg

Clark looks like he's just wiped someone out.

He would take the Bully Wee up to Pittodrie twice in the mid to late 1980s. Once in the great Skol Cup (the League Cup's greatest incarnation) and once in a Scottish Cup quarter-final in 1988...The late Stevie Gray on the programme cover with the Big Red who would publicly become a Big Orange..

1988-03-12-v-Clyde.jpg.010a5769eab40c63e43c010f72a8cc40.jpg

Edited by Bogbrush1903

11 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Time of the Terry Christie Golden era.  During that time St Johnstone and Aberdeen beaten soundly at Ochilview, A 2-0 win over Falkirk at Brockville, a defeat on penalties to Hearts at Tynecastle and of course the Challenge Cup win over Dundee United. Great memories.

12 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Ah, I never knew there were two clubhouses. A shame that they knocked the place down. I'm not sure if the place ever had floodlights. I happened to be watching an 1983 Euro qualifying match between the Republic and The Netherlands and it was played at Bohs Dalymount Park presumably because of the evening kick-off. It was insane, a huge amount of fans watching from roof of one particular stand ( a small number seen in the picture below)

Apologies, this isn't part of the photographic history of Scottish football...

Et82lXjWQAUiH5c.thumb.jpg.81fcdf4ab68a1b186ff4e492a46872b7.jpg

No worries, there's Scottish football history there too, here we are in action at Lansdowne Road on a Wednesday afternoon in October 1986...

GL903816.jpg

(Dreadful 0-0 draw IIRC).

Floodlights were installed there in the early 90s, just in time for Combat 18 to attempt to burn down the main stand in a friendly against England.