A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 30/03/2021 at 15:59, ScottyDee1893 said:

I remember the game well for all the wrong reasons. Saints were absolutely magnificent and destroyed Dundee who finished 3rd that season after being relegated for the first time in my lifetime the season before. The start of the decline that we've never recovered from

I've always maintained that, too, although 44 years is plenty of time for a recovery to take effect,I would have thought.

It could just as easily have been the Dons or Dundee United who were relegated that season, maybe with equally catastrophic results. And, another if only,had Jim McLean stayed at Dens, who knows?

Just catching up with this thread, how I've missed 5 pages, I don't know.

The bard o' Lochgelly.... big Leish in his early 20's.  I didn't actually know he had to retire from playing aged just 25 and was Dunfermline manager in his early 30's... one of those guys ive always thought is older than he actually is.

IMG_20210402_185456.jpg

16 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

The bard o' Lochgelly.... big Leish in his early 20's.  I didn't actually know he had to retire from playing aged just 25 and was Dunfermline manager in his early 30's... one of those guys ive always thought is older than he actually is.

IMG_20210402_185456.jpg

He had to retire because of a dreadful challenge from one Jim Jefferies.

Worked out alright for big Leish mind.

He's an absolutely tremendous guy as well. Very friendly and seems genuinely interested in folk he talks to. I worked in Dobbies in Dunfermline for a couple of months over the summer when at uni at while back and he often came in to buy garden stuff and always chatted about the Pars.

One of the good guys.

Guest TheJTS98
On 28/03/2021 at 07:32, Flybhoy said:

I personally think it was purely because they beat Hearts in the final, a particularly horrible club supported by equally horrible people... I was genuinely delighted when St Mirren won that final. 

image.jpeg.213c07dafa662ce08e5b2a33971069c0.jpeg

On 27/03/2021 at 17:54, Drew Brees said:

Scotland players the day before the 2-1 game v Czechoslovakia.  

B15A0AF1-3FBE-494A-9FE4-2510634E229B.png

On 27/03/2021 at 19:03, Sergeant Wilson said:

Probably just heard the pub was open.

Danny McGrain's just realised it's Kenny Dalglish's round...

On 03/04/2021 at 08:30, Monkey Tennis said:

Does anyone know why Hearts were going to have to cope without John Robertson in 1992?  Where was he meant to be going?

I liked the bit in the Rangers section that said "They've taken the title for the past four seasons and it's hard to see anyone ending that sequence.  As always, Celtic will provide the toughest challenge".  The "as always" part couldn't have been based on much evidence at the time. It wasn't until the second last of Rangers' nine in a row titles, that Celtic managed to finish 2nd.

And Aberdeen had taken Oldco to a title decider two seasons prior.. . 

Was Robertson injured? He wasn't considered for Euro92 because of injury... 

Edited by Bogbrush1903

IMG_7975.jpg

St. Johnstone take on Hungarian Sode Vasas Budapest in the 71/72 UEFA Cup. The Perth side would go on to win the 2 legs.

Here’s one from an infamous 3-3 Draw with Rangers in the Scottish cup. Sadly not the best image.
IMG_7976.jpg

1 hour ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Was Robertson injured? He wasn't considered for Euro92 because of injury... 

That would make sense as an explanation if it had stopped at "But Hearts will have to do it without John Robertson".  However, it goes on to say "And with Robertson going..."

This was 4 years after his brief stint at Newcastle, so I really don't know what it's on about.  It sounds like his departure for somewhere was very much lined up, but I can't remember it at all.  Some Hearts fans no doubt will.

3 hours ago, Lurkst said:

20717.Big.jpg

Scotland keeper Bill Brown claims the ball on the cover of this Hungarian magazine reporting on a 3-3 draw in the Budapest Nepstadion, June 1960.

I have the vaguest of memories of seeing that game live on TV. Think BBC also broadcast our game against Austria but not Turkey on the same tour. Kenneth Wolstensholme was always commentator, they also covered England tour games and random other European internationals as remember watching Italy v Brazil. Live coverage was usually only for Sunday afternoon games.

39 minutes ago, Eednud said:

I have the vaguest of memories of seeing that game live on TV. Think BBC also broadcast our game against Austria but not Turkey on the same tour. Kenneth Wolstensholme was always commentator, they also covered England tour games and random other European internationals as remember watching Italy v Brazil. Live coverage was usually only for Sunday afternoon games.

I found silent newsreel footage of the game anyway...

Re the Turkey game, amazingly that remains the only meeting between the countries!

Edited by Lurkst

IMG_20210402_185456.thumb.jpg.933af145e738fe9f5a5b33d60286fbd0.jpg
What a truly handsome b*****d he was then.

15 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That would make sense as an explanation if it had stopped at "But Hearts will have to do it without John Robertson".  However, it goes on to say "And with Robertson going..."

This was 4 years after his brief stint at Newcastle, so I really don't know what it's on about.  It sounds like his departure for somewhere was very much lined up, but I can't remember it at all.  Some Hearts fans no doubt will.

Was he not joining Rangers or have I just made that up? 30 years ago, some days now I can't remember 30 minutes ago.

3 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Was he not joining Rangers or have I just made that up? 30 years ago, some days now I can't remember 30 minutes ago.

Maybe.

The Rangers bit doesn't touch on it though, saying that goals will come from McCoist, and mentioning the arrival of another Hearts player in McPherson.

It's not ringing any bells for me, but nothing else is either.

There was a rumour at some point in Robbo's career that he was joining Aberdeen so it may have been at that time 

When he played a season for Newcastle they'd signed goalie Dave Beasant from Wimbledon who were notorious for their long ball tactics. Apparently Beasant used to fire the ball up the pitch where it would sail over the heads of the not so tall Robbo and strike partner Mirandinha and be cleared by the opposition defenders.

12 hours ago, Eednud said:

The Hungary game was shown in the early evening on BBC, might only have been the second half live or highkights? The Austria game was shown in full live on STV, with highlights later on the BBC. You are right, both games were on a Sunday.

On 04/04/2021 at 11:01, mizfit said:

Here’s one from an infamous 3-3 Draw with Rangers in the Scottish cup. Sadly not the best image.

If I remember right , Tulloch selt the jerseys in injury time , coming for a cross he was never getting.