A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

What a great clip. When the main crowd troubles are going on, you can see a well dressed gent come on to the pitch and kick Gordon Smith (7) and then lay into him with his fists. Incredible.

If they'd followed my advice we'd have kept bombing the whole region until about 1980 and none of this unpleasantness should have arisen.

14 hours ago, Lurkst said:

The new North Stand at Celtic Park takes shape in 1995, while the team had decanted to Hampden for a season...

Celtic-Park-Stadium-Aerial.jpg?w=713

Its a pity that like Hampden they went for the lower cost option of keeping the main stand (with the famous pillars) and thus did not move the whole ground south, giving more space on the north side and not requiring any pillars at the top of the North stand.

Obviously some of the buildings such as the school would have been an issue back then but are long gone now.

This isn't a photograph but I didn't know where else to stick it. See the source imageQueen' Park v St Mirren programme from 1956 v St Mirren lists the Saint 'keeper as Campbell Forsyth. Also the Queen's 'keeper is listed as "F. Crampsey". Any relation to the renowned football commentator, Bob?

25 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

This isn't a photograph but I didn't know where else to stick it. See the source imageQueen' Park v St Mirren programme from 1956 v St Mirren lists the Saint 'keeper as Campbell Forsyth. Also the Queen's 'keeper is listed as "F. Crampsey". Any relation to the renowned football commentator, Bob?

Frank Crampsey was Bob's brother.

5 hours ago, Eednud said:

Amazing stuff.  Almost a year earlier we lost 0-1 in the 1954 World Cup. Quite a change in jersey style.

Was that not the World Cup where we wore heavy jerseys because the SFA committee thought Switzerland would be cold and they hadn't realised that at the time of year the cup was played it would actually be quite warm

51 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I was sad to hear of Willie Whigham's death earlier this month, a keeper who served mainly at Brockville and Ayresome Park. The dirtiest player in any team he played for, Willie never used the team bath after matches, simply changing back into the clothes he'd arrived in after the game ended.

Willie-Whigham.jpg

Sadly, my abiding memory of him is, chucking one in against Ayr United at Boghead in a 1-1 draw.

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I was sad to hear of Willie Whigham's death earlier this month, a keeper who served mainly at Brockville and Ayresome Park. The dirtiest player in any team he played for, Willie never used the team bath after matches, simply changing back into the clothes he'd arrived in after the game ended.

He'd be well suited to current COVID procedures then.

4 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Willie-Whigham.jpg

I knew Willie from the pub and I don't think he took a bath since that picture was taken.

4 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Willie-Whigham.jpg

I can remember him playing for Falkirk allright.

8 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

He had a reputation for beating the supporters leaving Brockville to the pub at the top of Meeks Road after full time.

I could believe that. He was a good guy and his stories were great. If he made any money from football he either hid it or spent it. He got invited down to a Middlesbrough reunion and there was a whipround to buy a suit and pay his fare. No-one grudged chipping in.

His hands were mangled with arthritis from all the bones he broke in them.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

30 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

St Mirren v Aberdeen in the 1982 Scottish Cup semi final at a dry and dusty Celtic Park. 

Dougie Bell and Billy Stark are pictured in a match which I vaguely remember Aberdeen winning quite controversially. 

IMG_20210325_224016.jpg

Nah, it was a 1-1 draw. We scored first, Strachan dived to get a penalty for the equaliser.

The replay was at Dens :Park, Aberdeen won 3-2.

Billy Thomson later used the experience of this match to become an Estate Agent.

Spoiler

He was good at selling semis.

23 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I could believe that. He was a good guy and his stories were great. If he made any money from football he either hid it or spent it. He got invited down to a Middlesbrough reunion and there was a whipround to buy a suit and pay his fare. No-one grudged chipping in.

His hands were mangled with arthritis from all the bones he broke in them.

Pretty sure when I was a young student in late 60s , summer working on the Bins in Airdrie ,and his Dad was also a binman.  That's a great photo and story about Willie Whigham.