A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

5 hours ago, Glenconner said:

Can't honestly remember if it was a holiday.

Maybe the powers that be gave us plebs Monday and Tuesday off.

Was at the game and all i can remember was the jolly folk songs being sung under the cover behind the goal and it being a totally meaningless match played in an old condemned stadium.

Don't think the Scottish football authorities have really bought into the Royalty/football thingy after the Coronation Cup gig in the 1950s went tits up.

You mean Celtic won it, beating Hibs in the final?

Bernie Slaven on the charge for Albion Rovers- who knows where this park is...looks like a run down junior ground.

Shortly afterwards he departed for Tees-side on the way to becoming a Middlesbrough legend, having made a real name for himself at Cliftonhill. Also think it's quite poor that Scotland let him slip through their fingers. A very capable player.

Enp5D0vWMAAKF2F.thumb.jpg.41f1ee3e317d9d382f149d619150b1ee.jpg

Guest AberhillEnd
11 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Bernie Slaven on the charge for Albion Rovers- who knows where this park is...looks like a run down junior ground.

Shortly afterwards he departed for Tees-side on the way to becoming a Middlesbrough legend, having made a real name for himself at Cliftonhill. Also think it's quite poor that Scotland let him slip through their fingers. A very capable player.

Enp5D0vWMAAKF2F.thumb.jpg.41f1ee3e317d9d382f149d619150b1ee.jpg

Look like Cliftonhill

5 hours ago, AberhillEnd said:

Look like Cliftonhill

where in the ground would it be were it Cliftonhill, though? Can't map that scene onto Cliftonhill back then.

(somehow I half suspect old Ochilview but then the exuberant shrubbery makes me doubt that. Ochilview in the 80s was run down but not that rundown).

14 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

where in the ground would it be were it Cliftonhill, though? Can't map that scene onto Cliftonhill back then.

(somehow I half suspect old Ochilview but then the exuberant shrubbery makes me doubt that. Ochilview in the 80s was run down but not that rundown).

I reckon it's on the main stand side of Cliftonhill, but down in the right hand corner, as you're watching from the main stand.

26 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

I reckon it's on the main stand side of Cliftonhill, but down in the right hand corner, as you're watching from the main stand.

The dugouts are on the wrong side and even though Cliftonhill was regarded as a neglected dump back then by many, it was never on the point of going back to nature, like this ground.

Below was Cliftonhill at the beginning of the 1980s, and the main stand behind Tommy Gemmell's team of 1985/86 (the late Sammy Conn sat next to the chairman in the front row, and "Vodka Vic" back right). Although rudimentary the ground seems to have been kept as well as was possible.

albion-rovers-fc-cliftonhill-park-main-stand-1-august-1981-legendary-football-grounds.jpg.9b79aa556b890df5f9d9c6df33d50471.jpgalbion-rovers-1985-86.thumb.png.73c0caef692c031e4c9fb6f3392f24aa.png

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

Guest AberhillEnd
27 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

Yes, this is where it looks like to me

If anyone has their old SFL Reviews to hand, there were pictures in an edition from around 85 or 86 at almost the same angle as the Slaven one.

They featured (from memory) Sammy Conn of AR and Jim Sinnett of Stenhousemuir. So it's definitely Cliftonhill or Ochilview. I'll have a look later if nobody else has them around.

Guest AberhillEnd

Was it greyhounds or speedway racing at Cliftonhill ? You can see the lights on the track on the Slaven  picture.

Don't remember a track at Ochilview.

Edited by AberhillEnd

29 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

If anyone has their old SFL Reviews to hand, there were pictures in an edition from around 85 or 86 at almost the same angle as the Slaven one.

They featured (from memory) Sammy Conn of AR and Jim Sinnett of Stenhousemuir. So it's definitely Cliftonhill or Ochilview. I'll have a look later if nobody else has them around.

How weird. i was thinking exactly of this review and that picture of Sinnett yesterday. Not on google images alas. There's pictures in that Review of a Rovers v Berwick game at Cliftonhill from 84/85 or 85/86- Berwick in a weird sky blue / claret away kit.

If someone digitised the old Clydesdale Bank reviews this thread would quickly become bigger than BRALT.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

49 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

The dugouts are on the wrong side and even though Cliftonhill was regarded as a neglected dump back then by many, it was never on the point of going back to nature, like this ground.

Below was Cliftonhill at the beginning of the 1980s, and the main stand behind Tommy Gemmell's team of 1985/86 (the late Sammy Conn sat next to the chairman in the front row, and "Vodka Vic" back right). Although rudimentary the ground seems to have been kept as well as was possible.

albion-rovers-fc-cliftonhill-park-main-stand-1-august-1981-legendary-football-grounds.jpg.9b79aa556b890df5f9d9c6df33d50471.jpgalbion-rovers-1985-86.thumb.png.73c0caef692c031e4c9fb6f3392f24aa.png

Can't argue with that.

I was first in Cliftonhill circa 1985 and it looks better in the top photo than I remember it back then.

59 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

How weird. i was thinking exactly of this review and that picture of Sinnett yesterday. Not on google images alas. There's pictures in that Review of a Rovers v Berwick game at Cliftonhill from 84/85 or 85/86- Berwick in a weird sky blue / claret away kit.

If someone digitised the old Clydesdale Bank reviews this thread would quickly become bigger than BRALT.

Gave me an idea there...

On 06/06/2022 at 15:58, Ivo den Bieman said:

I eventually managed to track down all editions of the "Bible" of Scottish football, the internet has given us so much but  the league review is one thing I sadly miss from the game, I used to look forward to my annual letter to the Peter Donald from the SFL to enquire as to the release date and order details of the league review