A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

1 hour ago, House Bartender said:

Quite right, Joey - P&Bs own Poirot. What makes these programmes so readable beyond the football nostalgia is the dated graphics and adverts. Kids today don't know what they're missing when it comes to Ushers. (The Usher family have mighty gravestones in Edinburgh's Grange Cemetery, so it was profitable in it's day).

See JG’s further post just above your’s.

See my further post just under your’s.

16 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Clyde v Kilmarnock, Scottish Cup Semi Final at Ibrox 1959/60, in the days when the semi finals were played at Ibrox, Parkhead or Hampden, depending on the participants. Kilmarnock were the perennial "bridesmaids, never the bride" back then, and, true to form, after beating Clyde 2-0, they lost to Rangers in the final, another 2-0. If I remember correctly, Hugh Taylor's Book of Scottish Football  called it "men against boys". However, the nucleus of Killie's title winning side was being built. Frank Beattie, Bertie Black and Jackie McInally all played in 1964/65, maybe others. I recognise Jimmy Brown in goals, man of many clubs Handy Andy Kerr at centre forward, Willie Toner (played for Ayr in the 1963/64 Scottish Cup "shock" at Pittodrie) at centre half, and Bobby Kennedy who went on to play for Manchester City, but unfortunately didn't play enough games to win a First Division Championship medal with them.

Clyde, who had won the cup twice in the 50s in between getting relegated and promoted, had a few well known faces, Harry Haddock, Davie White, Tommy McCullough in goals, Archie Robertson and George Herd at inside forward. Clyde went on to reach another couple of semi finals, the Scottish Cup semi final in 1966/67 and the League Cup in 1968/69. Nothing since, a couple of Challenge Cup semis and a runners up.

Image 1 - CLYDE V KILMARNOCK 1959-60 SCOTTISH CUP SEMI FINAL

Image 2 - CLYDE V KILMARNOCK 1959-60 SCOTTISH CUP SEMI FINAL

Is this from your own collection @Jacksgranda as interested to know what game the one from San Marino is for.

@Jacksgranda I'm not sure of your age apart from Black n White was new in your days.  Were you at these games? At least the Dons ones.

Also, is this player info, straight from your memory or are you using in the internet, just asking, as I can't remember most games I was at less than 20 years ago.   AND, this is the big one for P&B, I don't drink when going to games or watching on TV. 

Apart from 1 game  Celtic v Valencia in 2001.

^^^ big team found.

Unfortunately, I've also been to European nights at Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, Hibs.

One of my last games in Scotland was Aberdeen v Sigma Olomouc sorry @kingjoey 

4 hours ago, Eednud said:

Is this from your own collection @Jacksgranda as interested to know what game the one from San Marino is for.

Yes, my own collection, much reduced from the 90s, I sold my collection back in 1996 for £2,000, regretted it ever since, started collecting again a couple of years ago. Reconciled myself to never replicating what I had.

What am I missing with this reference to "San Marino", I'm afraid you've lost me there.

2 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

@Jacksgranda I'm not sure of your age apart from Black n White was new in your days.  Were you at these games? At least the Dons ones.

Also, is this player info, straight from your memory or are you using in the internet, just asking, as I can't remember most games I was at less than 20 years ago.   AND, this is the big one for P&B, I don't drink when going to games or watching on TV. 

Apart from 1 game  Celtic v Valencia in 2001.

^^^ big team found.

Unfortunately, I've also been to European nights at Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, Hibs.

One of my last games in Scotland was Aberdeen v Sigma Olomouc sorry @kingjoey 

I was at most/all of the Dons' games for programmes I've featured, don't think I've been to any of the others, certainly no the Third Lanark ones, I never saw the HI Hi play.

I would know some of the player info off the top of my head, but generally check it off the internet and pad it out a bit.

Having said that the closer to the modern day you get the less I would know, even about Dons' players!

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

Maybe we sat next to each other.

I think you would have remembered a mad Glaswegian with a dog's head sticking out of his pocket...

Mention of San Marino reminds me of going there in 2000 when Scotland cantered to a magnificent, err, 2-0 win.

The day before the game I went down to the San Marinese FA to get a ticket and there were a couple of nice lassies there. Me and a mate helped them with the pronunciation of the Scotland players and they let us have some of the match programmes for nothing which we handed out to fans before kick off.

A year later I'm in a programme shop and a copy of the same programme that I handed out for nothing is going for 25 quid.....bugger!

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

I think you would have remembered a mad Glaswegian with a dog's head sticking out of his pocket...

I'm a mongrel. You remember to the day you type again.  

17 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Mention of San Marino reminds me of going there in 2000 when Scotland cantered to a magnificent, err, 2-0 win.

The day before the game I went down to the San Marinese FA to get a ticket and there were a couple of nice lassies there. Me and a mate helped them with the pronunciation of the Scotland players and they let us have some of the match programmes for nothing which we handed out to fans before kick off.

A year later I'm in a programme shop and a copy of the same programme that I handed out for nothing is going for 25 quid.....bugger!

I used to have half a dozen copies of Coleraine v Tottenham Hotspur in the Cup Winners Cup. None now, of course. I don't know what they would be worth noe.

10 hours ago, Eednud said:

5 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Yes, my own collection, much reduced from the 90s, I sold my collection back in 1996 for £2,000, regretted it ever since, started collecting again a couple of years ago. Reconciled myself to never replicating what I had.

What am I missing with this reference to "San Marino", I'm afraid you've lost me there.

I sold my collection in the 'seventies to buy a Burns guitar, had quite a number of Third Lanark programmes, plus ES Clydebank issues, including their first senior match. Then I sold the guitar cheaply before getting married in the 'eighties. Regret both sales today, still married though.

The programme @Eednud refers to is this one:

Sammarinese.thumb.jpg.bebae2de73c89f31af04d095585c1b23.jpg

Looks like the Olympic rings on the top right corner. Wonder if it was a friendly match in the build up to the Rome Olympics (1960)?

1 minute ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I sold my collection in the 'seventies to buy a Burns guitar, had quite a number of Third Lanark programmes, plus ES Clydebank issues, including their first senior match. Then I sold the guitar cheaply before getting married in the 'eighties. Regret both sales today, still married though.

Looks like the Olympic rings on the top right corner. Wonder if it was a friendly match in the build up to the Rome Olympics (1960)?

The photos aren't mine, they were posted on e-Bay by the seller, that programme would be from his collection. I thought it must be something like that, I just couldn't see San Marino anywhere, though.

7 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I sold mine in the 80s to buy drink.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

Partick Thistle v Third Lanark, March 1963. Scotland was just coming out of the big freeze, so games were coming thick and fast (this one had been postponed due to fog, rather than snow). After playing only 1 game in both January and February, Thistle had played 10 games in March including this one, although three of those games were their own "fault" due to Scottish Cup replays. 10 games in 30 days would cause todays superstars to have a fit of the vapours. 7 games were scheduled for April + Celtic at Firhill had to be fitted in somewhere.

Big write up - and rightly so - about a £6,500 donation from the Jagspool run by the Supporters Association. £6,500 was not to be sniffed at 60 years ago, although going by the photo on the back page the Thistle vice-chairman seems a bit dubious about accepting the cheque.

Thistle's line up included George Niven in goals, Davy McParland at right half, Neil Duffy, who went on to play for St Johnstone) and Gordon Whitelaw (who also went to the Perth Saints) familiar names up front.

Thirds had the evergreen Jocky Robertson in goals, Junior McGillvary and Joe Davis at full backs, don't recognise anyone else apart from Jimmy Goodfellow at inside right.

Thistle won 3-1, and finished third in the table, 11 points behind champions Rangers. Thirds won the Glasgow Cup, beating Celtic 2-1 in the final.

Image 1 - Partick Thistle v Third Lanark (March 1963) programme

Image 2 - Partick Thistle v Third Lanark (March 1963) programme

Image 3 - Partick Thistle v Third Lanark (March 1963) programme

Image 4 - Partick Thistle v Third Lanark (March 1963) programme

Image 5 - Partick Thistle v Third Lanark (March 1963) programme

6 minutes ago, Steve Finan said:

Great stuff, Jacksgranda. Always enjoy seeing stuff like this, and all the better with a little history alongside, sir.

:wub:

As @HibeeJibee has taken a sabattical, I'm trying to fill the gap. His programmes, and commentary, are much more interesting than mine, though.