A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

43 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Here he is playing for Saints in a 72/73 League Cup game v Rangers at Love St. Saints lost 4-0.

image.thumb.png.22f16fed2d03c2b99158923b63fd16a1.png

A week later he played in the group tie at Ibrox  Saints won 4-1 becoming only the 2nd lower league side to win an away cup tie v Rangers and Ally McLeod being the first opposition player to score 4 at Ibrox since Alan Gilzean.

This one here is him and Jim Blair in the 72/73 League Cup game , the first time we wore the Ajax style strip. Your photo is the SC tie in early '72. 

2 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Billy Bremner enjoys a post match warm down...

Is that Rothmans he's smoking? I always remember Rothmans had a blue sash rather than a maroon one seen here...

There's also a bottle of 'pop' on the bench and a tin on the floor beside him but I can't identify them?

FEJh9p3XMAMrScr.thumb.jpg.0c5ee280b3b6a61025ad7209b5cc9036.jpg

I went off Bremner a few years ago when I read that one of the Zaire players had said that the little Scottish No4 was racially abusing the opposition players throughout the game.l-r-zaire-captain-mantantu-kidumu-shakes-hands-with-scotland-captain-GBAPXJ.thumb.jpg.c618e0d50a3b0dc7bbcaea4c3183e75a.jpg

Yip, great player as he was, I suspect Bremner was a pretty unpleasant bloke.

Gordon McQueen transiently became my favourite player when I was 7.

Looking at his career, it's tragic that he was robbed of the biggest stages he'd have had, a European Cup final and a World Cup finals.  

In the second one especially, I think it's likely that it also cost the rest of us.  It's telling that he was still taken to Argentina, despite having no chance of making it for the group games.

It's saddening news today.  He didn't get a great innings.

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Article from 1970, the sadly departed Gordon McQueen as an 18 year old prospect at St Mirren.

CS5BKlNWwAA8Cmi.thumb.jpg.65f2e0e2878a9edeaafd8372d7b3cec1.jpg

That's a cracking article.  It's striking to think that within just three or four years, the most successful side in England was signing him.  He then broke transfer records in moving to Man Utd and was, by then, a fixture at international level.

I remember him once running the length of the field at Hampden to literally tackle a pitch invader.  I think we were playing Austria.

It's obviously a generational thing, but his death is kind of hitting home for me.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Gordon McQueen transiently became my favourite player when I was 7.

Looking at his career, it's tragic that he was robbed of the biggest stages he'd have had, a European Cup final and a World Cup finals.  

In the second one especially, I think it's likely that it also cost the rest of us.  It's telling that he was still taken to Argentina, despite having no chance of making it for the group games.

It's saddening news today.  He didn't get a great innings.

With regards the European Cup Final, he only had himself to blame as he laid out one of the Barcelona players although there was no doubt agitation in a violent contest.

The old footage I've seen of McQueen, he would be very quick to react aggressively.

The punch is just after 7:30 in the below video

On 15/06/2023 at 03:53, Dundee Hibernian said:

Brockville in the mid-eighties. I'm unsure if an enclosure roof refurb was taking place, or the club was attending to storm damage at the time.

Brockvilenoenclosureroof.thumb.jpg.cfc11aa3cba1c8b401057c667677a78d.jpg

Nice picture.

Yes, we had a new roof installed. The old one sloped down from the rear and slightly restricted the view for supporters standing at the back. The new one was much higher at the front and gave you a better view. Plus the old one was rusted tae f*ck!

Old one.

Falkirk FC on Twitter: "📸 A couple of brilliant photos of our beloved  Brockville Park... Does anyone else have photos of the old lady?  #BrockvilleYears #COYB" / Twitter

New one.

Brockville – Falkirk FC – Moving the Goalposts

9 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Nice picture.

Yes, we had a new roof installed. The old one sloped down from the rear and slightly restricted the view for supporters standing at the back. The new one was much higher at the front and gave you a better view. Plus the old one was rusted tae f*ck!

Old one.

Falkirk FC on Twitter: "📸 A couple of brilliant photos of our beloved  Brockville Park... Does anyone else have photos of the old lady?  #BrockvilleYears #COYB" / Twitter

New one.

Brockville – Falkirk FC – Moving the Goalposts

Am I correct in saying that there was an odd sort of 'bridge' thing on the terracing on the halfway line ?  I have flashbacks of the early 1970's Bairns ultras positioning themselves there in order to bait and sometimes try to batter visiting fans who were changing ends.  Or did I dream this ?

33 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Am I correct in saying that there was an odd sort of 'bridge' thing on the terracing on the halfway line ?  I have flashbacks of the early 1970's Bairns ultras positioning themselves there in order to bait and sometimes try to batter visiting fans who were changing ends.  Or did I dream this ?

You are correct, it wasn't exactly on the halfway line, just slightly off centre. 

Remember the good old days when fans could change ends at halftime, eh!

54 minutes ago, Urban Spaceman said:

He is even wearing a captains armband with Fuhrer on it in this picture....makes you think.

(Bet someone on here can explain why he's wearing a German Sports Brand)

That photo is from the World Cup in 1974 which was played in West Germany. Probably tournament sponsorship I would think. 

16 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

The cigarettes of choice for the future/current Scottish captain in the late 1960s/early 1970s..

c990d99e68e83b1ebf30887feb95abd9.jpg.92968b8d8710788d9b6408c2c131f6c6.jpg

Up there as a top brand back then. British Airways sold them on most flights along with the complimentary book of BA matches.

Preferred Dunhill myself.

50p a packets on the London Shuttle.

1 hour ago, Urban Spaceman said:

He is even wearing a captains armband with Fuhrer on it in this picture....makes you think.

(Bet someone on here can explain why he's wearing a German Sports Brand)

Here's those Germans sneaking in more subtle references.

Nazi-Stadiu.jpg

EFiM2eYWkAAU4oU?format=jpg&name=medium

December 1982 and Scotland U21s line up ahead of an impressive 2-1 win in Belgium, on their way to topping a group that also included East Germany and Switzerland. In the process putting the full team to shame, as they finished bottom of their corresponding Euros section. 

The lads would ultimately lose in the quarter finals, 4-3 on aggregate to a Yugoslavia side which included future legends Stojkovic, Katanec and Pancev.

For the benefit of our younger readers, the under 21s used to be able to field an over age player. The more eagle eyed among you may be able to spot him....

Edited by Lurkst