A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 10/06/2023 at 14:16, Specky Ginger said:

And so as not to upset the other half of Renfrewshire....

Screenshot_20230610-141203~2.png

Pretty sure that was taken before a home game against Hamilton in April, which we won 3-0. Two away wins at St. Johnstone and Stirling followed and we were top. A photo from the same shoot was in the programme the night we beat Airdrie to clinch promotion with the headline "One game from glory..."

Jimmy Miller scoring our third goal against Accies. 

Edit - it's actually Bobby Russell.

1978.4.15Morton3-0Hamilton(3).thumb.jpg.5db1468e55961534984a1ac140545223.jpg

Edited by AyrshireTon

Craig Brown oversees (reluctantly by the looks of it) the transfer of one of his young Clyde players to Aberdeen in 1977, wearing what seems to be a jazzy pair of trews but we only catch a tantalising glimpse of the strides

Hopefully that is faux fur that Archibald's squeeze (or is it Broon's!) is wearing...

Archibald.jpg.7f3d87b315fb097d829ff164aacd309a.jpg

Edited by Bogbrush1903

35 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

Pretty sure that was taken before a home game against Hamilton in April, which we won 3-0. Two away wins at St. Johnstone and Stirling followed and we were top. A photo from the same shoot was in the programme the night we beat Airdrie to clinch promotion with the headline "One game from glory..."

And here's the ex Motherwell, Morton and Aberdeen man Millar with his Motherwell assistant manager Craig Brown just before the latter departs to be his own man at Clyde...

Brown.thumb.jpg.84600a646531f1cd2a17246ce8c71d55.jpg

2 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

And here's the ex Motherwell, Morton and Aberdeen man Millar with his Motherwell assistant manager Craig Brown just before the latter departs to be his own man at Clyde...

Brown.thumb.jpg.84600a646531f1cd2a17246ce8c71d55.jpg

Good photo.

Unfortunately I've just realised that the scorer in my pic is Bobby Russell, not Jimmy Miller. Getting my perms mixed up.

2 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

Edit - it's actually Bobby Russell.

I loved Beastie Russell when he was at the Rovers.

2 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Craig Brown oversees (reluctantly by the looks of it) the transfer of one of his young Clyde players to Aberdeen in 1977, wearing what seems to be a jazzy pair of trews but we only catch a tantalising glimpse of the strides

Hopefully that is faux fur that Archibald's squeeze (or is it Broon's!) is wearing...

Archibald.jpg.7f3d87b315fb097d829ff164aacd309a.jpg

Club manager's desk in 77. Racing pages, bookies slips, tobacco tin...

Isn't Jock Brown, the Commentator, Craig's brother?

It always amused me when watching Scotland v England on BBC or ITV, that there was a common introduction but once the match started, there were different commentators. In Ireland, (Ulster Television, or BBC Northern Ireland) we had Brian Moore or David Coleman for some strange reason. Did they think we'd support England? 

McNeill checks for his lighter after Celtic physio Bob Rooney forgets his own...

EDIT: Actually it looks like McNeill has a roll-up in his hand!

So it's a beared man (Peter Latchford), someone on a chair (Ronnie Glavin?),Bobby Lennox, Neil Mochan, Bob Rooney, Billy McNeill, John Clark, Jimmy Steele (?), then on the good side, someone maybe Pat Stanton (although it looks more like Willie Garner) and then Fergie...

Can anyone fill in the blanks?

mcneill.thumb.jpg.902244d48d54ff0e6d8b2d9aa29a98fd.jpg

Edited by Bogbrush1903

Meanwhile Denis enjoys a beer in a rather magnificent windcheater/kagool time garment that I would pay a healthy wedge for if I could find one...

I'd also purchase the dark blue and red scarf with presumably SCOTLAND THE BRAVE on it, the Scotland bucket hat and the tartan pork pie hat

law.thumb.jpg.d7ea8ecad2f571d3dc35ad7a3d893e9f.jpg

Edited by Bogbrush1903

17 hours ago, Piquet said:

It always amused me when watching Scotland v England on BBC or ITV, that there was a common introduction but once the match started, there were different commentators. In Ireland, (Ulster Television, or BBC Northern Ireland) we had Brian Moore or David Coleman for some strange reason. Did they think we'd support England? 

I use to hate that... Whatever Archie Macpherson's qualities may be, one thing's for sure, commentating on football matches isn't one of them.  Montford was slightly better but nothing matched a David Coleman commentary....."Jordan....one-nil !" .... "And Clemence day is complete" .......

Edited by kennie makevin

20 hours ago, Piquet said:

Gillingham's fanzine was called "Brian Moore's head looks uncannily like the London Planetarium" 

10 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

I use to hate that... Whatever Archie Macpherson's qualities may be, one thing's for sure, commentating on football matches isn't one of them.  Montford was slightly better but nothing matched a David Coleman commentary....."Jordan....one-nil !" .... "And Clemence day is complete" .......

"That pass was so good, Lee couldn't get it."