A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 10/11/2023 at 14:25, Molotov said:

I always liked the steepness of the terrace back in the 80s plus the corner adverts in the terracing wall were a great feature! 

The corner advert on a raised terrace wall at the Shed (west) end is still there, the one at the other is gone:

TSBcorner.thumb.jpg.e8d0a1f3578e6f86dd6e197773607035.jpg

While I'm here, this is the Jerry Kerr Stand (Main Stand when it opened in 1962) early in the construction stage:

Cantileverstand.thumb.jpg.b7da36c5774a36dd9bc0a0b4686bf9fa.jpg

In 1992, the George Fox Stand was built:

GeorgeFoxbuilding.thumb.jpg.cedca6b0aa4d5e1a87ed11e07ced3b73.jpg

Edited by Dundee Hibernian

On 11/11/2023 at 09:41, Eednud said:

Skol Lager in the mid/late 60’s and think in both corners for a while.

On 11/11/2023 at 16:42, Boghead ranter said:

Mace? *

*It was a supermarket in those days kids, not an anti-attack sprsy.

OVD rum as well.

1992_11_14St.Mirren2-3Morton(10).thumb.jpg.4c5e0ac04c831ffecc2dcd30dbcf0dad.jpg

Ian MacDonald is held aloft by Scott McArthur after he had put Morton 3-1 up at Love Street on 14th Nov 1992. Alex Mathie and Rowan Alexander are the other two Morton players.

McArthur then fell over and MacDonald lost a tooth in there somewhere.

Morton won 3-2 with David Elliot scoring a peach before David Wylie saved Chic Charnley's late penalty.

7 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

Was about to post on that.....another article referring to the Governments ban on floodlighting (assuming during three day week?) another on Fabio Capello scoring the only goal v England (who he would later manage)  When newspapers were worth reading - now its all VAR and what some anonymous punter on Twitter thought of a dodgy handball in the box.

'Three Day Week' began 1st January 1974... some electricity restrictions earlier.

image.thumb.png.b61e568bb73d7026dbeab9e823b53e75.png

10 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Obviously, he's attempting to be amusing here.

What's the story regarding his time at Thistle though?  I can't say I know anything about that at all.

Didn't witness myself but he was apparently pretty shite with us and more interested in a bevvy than playing. Earned the nickname Alky from the Firhill Faithful.

Went on to have a great stint with Raith, so not sure what went wrong at Firhill, apart from us being generally pish in the mid 80s.

Edited by jagfox

9 hours ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

I, like a great many Dundonians, used to drink OVD rum until a friend of mine who was a mental health nurse informed me that the men's ward in Liff Hospital was full of ex OVD drinkers. Been Baccardi all the way ever since.

insert joke about it being appropriate OVD sponsored the Junior Cup here... 

Arbroath 4 Inverness Caledonian 0 in the Scottish Qualifying Cup Semi Final on this day in 1912. Arbroath met Abercorn in the Final three weeks later at the Royal Gymnasium Ground in Edinburgh where it ended 1-1 in front of 6,000. The replay was scheduled for 21 December but was postponed and they met on 28 December at North End Park, Cowdenbeath and ended 2-2 before 4,000. They met in the 2nd replay on 25 January at Cathkin Park, Glasgow where 14,000 saw Abercorn win 4-1. Photo from https://www.arbroatharchive.co.uk/matchdetails.php?id=3137

IMG_1825.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Was there a tradition throughout Scotland of charity games involving various professions competing against each other?

From 1979, Ministers v Butchers, at Tannadice.

I can remember being taken to a Butchers v Ministers game at Dens in the early 1960s and being the first time I ever sat in the stand.

23 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Was there a tradition throughout Scotland of charity games involving various professions competing against each other?

1.MvB1979programmecover.thumb.jpg.16477563963942f16e0c4429f1c241a1.jpg

1.MvB79inner.thumb.jpg.aec92f517cbb58f6e9adeeca63db5b64.jpg

I recall the Clergy v Police was an annual fixture at Stenhousemuir in the '60s into the '70s. 

We moved to Dundee in 1966 and went to these charity matches every year. Can’t really remember if it was always Ministers v Butchers, but I seem to remember they always seemed to be held at Tannadice, although that may be bollocks. This match in 1979 must have been one of the last to be held.

On 14/11/2023 at 17:37, Dundee Hibernian said:

The corner advert on a raised terrace wall at the Shed (west) end is still there, the one at the other is gone:

TSBcorner.thumb.jpg.e8d0a1f3578e6f86dd6e197773607035.jpg

Before it was covered and the segregation fence built, that was my favourite terracing outwith Pittodrie. Fantastic place to watch football.

50 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

1.MvB1979programmecover.thumb.jpg.16477563963942f16e0c4429f1c241a1.jpg

1.MvB79inner.thumb.jpg.aec92f517cbb58f6e9adeeca63db5b64.jpg

I recall the Clergy v Police was an annual fixture at Stenhousemuir in the '60s into the '70s. 

Brilliant stuff.

There was a certainly a clergy game at Stark's Park in Kirkcaldy during 1950s as my grandfather (a session clerk presumably making up the numbers) could recall playing in it. I think he said their goalkeeper was minister of Kirkcaldy Abbotshall and played in top hat & tails sporting umbrella and briefcase.

Palmerston in Dumfries definitely also staged Clergy v Police as there is a programme from 1935:

image.png.c7252f05044d3e10a90121c682144e17.png

Clergy team (church & denomination from my own research with couple missing) was:

Melrose, John                                Dumfries Greyfriars
Borrowman
Rock, William                                 Kirkpatrick Irongray
Haddow, James Murray          Buittle & Kirkennan
Snow
Dollar
Smellie, John Laidlaw                Annan Erskine
Breen, Lawrence                          Dumfries St Andrews (RC)
Cockburn, Harold Andrew     Dumfries St Michaels
Scanlon, Edward                           Annan (RC)
Fairlie, Robert Paul                     Dumfries St Marys